Johnnies Tidbits

Monte post=439752 said:
SJU85 post=439744 said:
Monte post=439663 said:
MCN I'm having a problem with quote function. While I have no inside info, I can't see most of the kids who left having left because CMA worked them too hard. If that was the case why did Earl, Williams, Robert's and Caraher return last season? In the case of the first 2, CMA and the staff really helped elevate their game, as they did with Champ, so one would think that they enjoyed playing for CMA and his staff. Again, just my opinion. As for CMA having an issue with Mullin's kids, there are new coaches all over the country every year who retain and coach kids they didn't sign. Gotta be able to do that if you want to be successful right out of the gate. Both Lavin and Jarvis did it quite well here, just to name 2. Notwithstanding the new transfer rule. I'm not one for excuses, not my personality, so naturally I'm going lay some of the blame on CMA and the staff. 
Stuff happens within a team all the time, stuff that most outside will never ever here of.  Sometimes, "insiders"  find out about things  but you will never hear about it from them because it was told either in confidence or they know its should stay in-house and be dealt with as such.  

DeMeo as part of his wrongful termination lawsuit, has brought stuff out that if true, would normally stay in-house, and not aired out for public consumption.  That is a breach of an unwritten rule.    I don't expect many (if any) of the transfers if asked, will directly comment on the allegation of conflicts on the record (again whether all, some or none of the allegations are true or not) because they have moved on and won't breach the unwritten rule.  It was evident last year that everyone was not on the same page, and we know that was the case with Moore who last year was suspended and benched.  We heard about the so-called favoritism to the NYC players (who happen to include the best two players on the team).  Was that a perception or just jealousy?

We lost all but three scholarship players from last year's team, so I would think with that many transfer's and Julian's comments (which didn't directly name any one player) seems to say not everyone was happy for whatever reason. 

I understand DeMeo is bitter about his release and as is normally done in support of a lawsuit, plantiffs,  based on the advice of their counsel or others, will throw every little thing into it to fog the issue and make them look good and the defendant to look petty and bad.  It does not mean that some of the material and the main basis of the suit, is not valid.  I don't know if it is or not, I am hoping it is not..
Regardless of what was going on behind the scenes, the kids played hard pretty
much every second on the court, and they exceeded expectations. That's a reflection on the kids and the staff. However, when such a large % of the team transfers out at one time, that's also a reflection on the staff. Yes, s_ _ t happens on lots of teams, and it doesn't usually make the papers. But when it does happen, it's the job of the coach/staff to address and resolve the issue(s). Last year was an anomaly because of the transfer rule. Without that, maybe most of the kids come back with a different attitude. All i can say is that if most of the team had returned, I would have fully expected us to be a tourney team. Let's hope that with an almost entirely new roster, we will be a tourney team. Anything less, and I won't be satisfied. Especially with Champ and others leaving. 

That's the point I was about to make. Isn't it interesting how all of the team clearly wasn't on the same page last year, yet still turned in a season that exceeded expectations. We may never know why each decided to leave, but I will say all of the Mullin recruits who left after last year definitely had integrity. Easy kids to pull for and wish well in their future.

Sometimes complaints are filed with the purpose of securing a settlement.  These suits are written to secure leverage and not necessarily written to win in a court of law.  As many have mentioned, the details of team discontent will not help win a wrongful termination case.  Those details, true or not, were included to entice a settlement before it was made public.

If Demeo is having second thoughts, it is possible the language in the suit is beyond his comfort zone or he is now concerned it will impact his future employment prospects.   ....or both.

Last edited:
JohnnyFan post=439758 said:
If Demeo is having second thoughts, it is possible the language in the suit is beyond his comfort zone or he is now concerned it will impact his future employment prospects.   ....or both.
Perhaps he also heard from some pro-Anderson power brokers who hinted that recruiting the area would be tougher for him. Not good if you sold yourself to ECU as a guy with Northeast connections. 

Monte wrote:

All i can say is that if most of the team had returned, I would have fully expected us to be a tourney team. Let's hope that with an almost entirely new roster, we will be a tourney team. Anything less, and I won't be satisfied. Especially with Champ and others leaving. 

Monte, just quoting part of your post as it is what is relevant to mine. I agree with both of your statements above. I would have expected to dance if most of the roster (i.e. Williams, Earlington, Roberts & Dunn & yes even Cole) had returned and I will also be very disappointed if we don't dance with the mostly new roster. I would also say this: with the exception of Moore, I believe transfers were basketball related (whether poor fits or guys who wanted bigger roles next year that they weren't going to get here) and those things happen and are not necessarily bad reflections on either the staff or the players. Just my thoughts from afar with absolutely no inside info   

Last edited:
Bet she doesn't mind having her husband in a secure job, with a good salary, close to home (and getting lots of kudos on top of that).

NCJohnnie post=439807 said:
Monte wrote:

All i can say is that if most of the team had returned, I would have fully expected us to be a tourney team. Let's hope that with an almost entirely new roster, we will be a tourney team. Anything less, and I won't be satisfied. Especially with Champ and others leaving. 

Monte, just quoting part of your post as it is what is relevant to mine. I agree with both of your statements above. I would have expected to dance if most of the roster (i.e. Williams, Earlington, Roberts & Dunn & yes even Cole) had returned and I will also be very disappointed if we don't dance with the mostly new roster. I would also say this: with the exception of Moore, I believe transfers were basketball related (whether poor fits or guys who wanted bigger roles next year that they weren't going to get here) and those things happen and are not necessarily bad reflections on either the staff or the players. Just my thoughts from afar with absolutely no inside info   
I mostly agree with you NC, but being the bottom line guy that I am, I am going to blame CMA and the staff if this team does not do at least as well as I thought last years team would have done if most of the players returned. As a long time boss and business owner(I no longer am), my philosophy has always been " I don't really care why it happened, I only care that it happened". I've heard every damn excuse in the book for failure. I don't really care why those kids left, I only care that they left. But if this  team makes the tourney then all is mostly forgotten in my mind. Not that what I think means a hill of beans, except to me lol 

Last edited:
Monte post=439821 said:
Monte wrote:

my philosophy has always been " I don't really care why it happened, I only care that it happened". 
Pretty sure you are mixing up your biz philosophy with getting laid with your actress friends philosophy :)

mjmaherjr post=439822 said:
Monte post=439821 said:
Monte wrote:

my philosophy has always been " I don't really care why it happened, I only care that it happened". 
Pretty sure you are mixing up your biz philosophy with getting laid with your actress friends philosophy :)
lol

5 teams on the rise entering the 21-22 season

St. John’s: The Red Storm haven’t won an NCAA Tournament game since 2000 — the longest current drought among current Big East teams. That has a chance to change this season. Mike Anderson returns two of the conference’s best players in sophomore point guard Posh Alexander and junior forward Julian Champagnie, who has a legitimate chance to be an All-American after averaging 19.8 points and 7.4 rebounds as a sophomore. A pair of transfers from the Big Ten — Montez Mathis (Rutgers) and Aaron Wheeler (Purdue) — should instantly have major roles. St. John’s doesn’t just look like an NCAA Tournament team — it looks like a team that can advance in the NCAA Tournament.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index...-teams-on-the-rise-entering-the-21-22-season/

Back