Georgetown (MSG), Sat., Mar. 9, 12 Noon, FOX

I believe first game looks like it would be 2:30 in the afternoon next week. Early enough?
Yeah that I can do plus I don't want to be on train in rush hour I don't mind waiting that one out. It's the night games that are no chance of happening post game :)

And if we get in I will be as happy as anyone. Also being on record during the Norm years of stating “don’t care if the coach is a good guy”, I would be a hypocrite if complained too much about his rant . However you can’t give it credit for any success. What if he decided to kick Soriano in the balls before the BET and we go onto win it? Should he get credit for that?
If they win, sure.
Fraschilla thought showing his balls would motivate the team. Whatever works.
Po-tay-toh. Po-tah-toh.

And if we get in I will be as happy as anyone. Also being on record during the Norm years of stating “don’t care if the coach is a good guy”, I would be a hypocrite if complained too much about his rant . However you can’t give it credit for any success. What if he decided to kick Soriano in the balls before the BET and we go onto win it? Should he get credit for that?
Only if it helps!

Seriously, I agree the current idea that it was a masterstroke is dopey. He had been doing a slow burn for awhile and after that game he finally went over an edge. He wasn't alone. Sitting at UBS the boos from the fans were audible that day. Not defending Rick either, mind you, there are other ways he could have handled it. But if a coach was going to lose his mind that was the day. Anderson would have said we ran out of time, and he liked the effort, or something like it. And people here, especially, would have lost their minds. Calling the players out after that "performance" was justified, problem was it was poorly executed. Fitting after that game.

Just as dopey as the current narrative, though, was the initial one. He would lose the players, lose all his recruits, media members were acting like he actually HAD kicked Joel in the nuts. Repeatedly.

That's life with a coach who wants attention and gets it. It isn't all good.

Only if it helps!

Seriously, I agree the current idea that it was a masterstroke is dopey. He had been doing a slow burn for awhile and after that game he finally went over an edge. He wasn't alone. Sitting at UBS the boos from the fans were audible that day. Not defending Rick either, mind you, there are other ways he could have handled it. But if a coach was going to lose his mind that was the day. Anderson would have said we ran out of time, and he liked the effort, or something like it. And people here, especially, would have lost their minds. Calling the players out after that "performance" was justified, problem was it was poorly executed. Fitting after that game.

Just as dopey as the current narrative, though, was the initial one. He would lose the players, lose all his recruits, media members were acting like he actually HAD kicked Joel in the nuts. Repeatedly.

I did get a kick out of Repole basically saying, "give me a break" and promising to back that up with his wallet. Remember, he's a horse guy and if they don't perform, they literally get whipped publicly! Words are nothing compared to that.

Yes. ;)

And for the record the rant was fine, but should have been said in the locker room. If he admitted as such in his private mea culpa I'm sure it was quickly water under the bridge, if slow flowing at first.
Of course in private is fine.
But again reason for it was frustration and blame shifting which why was done in public in first place.

Only if it helps!

Well here is my other problem with his public rant.
Pitino is great, no one else would want, even my favorite Knick coach. With that out of the way he has not done a great job this year TO THIS POINT IMO.
Feel more a Pitino problem then player problem. Hey team is not overly athletic or quick, maybe shouldn’t press!

Even throwing away the whole you bought the groceries how are you complaining about the meal thing, play to your team strength, don’t complain about what they can’t do.

I would ask those criticizing Pitino for the “rant”, which I think is a somewhat comical description seeing how his voice never remotely approached anything resembling that; anyway, I suggest people maybe, possibly just entertain the idea that similar, very likely worse, was offered behind close doors and did not seem to have any effect.
Just saying……..
If nothing else, Pitino certainly has proven he will not stop trying “things” until he finds the key or the season ends. Me, I’m just glad he seems to have found it before he had to go full on Fraschilla, knowing him he might have decided to do THAT publicly also.

I would ask those criticizing Pitino for the “rant”, which I think is a somewhat comical description seeing how his voice never remotely approached anything resembling that; anyway, I suggest people maybe, possibly just entertain the idea that similar, very likely worse, was offered behind close doors and did not seem to have any effect.
Just saying……..
If nothing else, Pitino certainly has proven he will not stop trying “things” until he finds the key or the season ends. Me, I’m just glad he seems to have found it before he had to go full on Fraschilla, knowing him he might have decided to do THAT publicly also.
Laughable that you think this was “trying things”. When kids pout and blame other kids for something they did, they don’t shout. More of a whiny tone similar to Rick’s

Well here is my other problem with his public rant.
Pitino is great, no one else would want, even my favorite Knick coach. With that out of the way he has not done a great job this year TO THIS POINT IMO.
Feel more a Pitino problem then player problem. Hey team is not overly athletic or quick, maybe shouldn’t press!

Even throwing away the whole you bought the groceries how are you complaining about the meal thing, play to your team strength, don’t complain about what they can’t do.

The flip side is this. He has a roster on which no one is truly an all big east level talent. It's a large collection of mid level to solid contributors, all new, no continuity or preexisting cohesion, with only one player familiar with this system and way of doing things. I'm not sure what your expectations were coming into the season but many of them expressed on this board were, and to a certain extent still are, way out of whack and then if you judge achievements against out of whack expectations it's easy to get down on the job as it was done. There are certainly highly questionable moments but the team is where it is today and that's entirely in line with what I thought was my rosy outlook. How it got here is immaterial to me at this point, but it should have been obvious that this was going to take a lot of time. The only variable that I didn't expect was RJL not being able to get ready for the season or to practice sufficiently to reach what I thought he ceiling could be, and the toll that seems to have taken on his performance.

I’m going to change the subject.

This is the biggest game of the season. If we lose we can talk about Pitino and his rant all summer. A loss would end our season unless we win the BE tourney.

Hoyas have nothing to lose. They have two guards who penetrate, Epps and Brumbraugh. They could cause trouble. On a pressing full court game they would be very effective.

Our mindset will be extremely high. The players are fully aware of the importance. Let’s not lay an egg!

Go Johnnies.

Just saying……..
It’s highly unlikely behind close doors Rick said anything like “I had no choice but to recruit you guys, I took anyone I could get out of the portal”

Which he did say during his rant.

That’s the one part of the rant I felt was out of line and just really f’n lame.

But he did apologize for it after the GTown game and the players seemed to accept it and move on, so i feel like it’s time the rest of us move on as well

Or like rehobie said, we can all debate this ad nauseam during the summer when things are slow around here

Back