Georgetown (MSG), Sat., Mar. 9, 12 Noon, FOX

Not altruistic. We are now making fun of it because the press could not get enough of the story. They loved hammering Pitino and even intimating he would leave for another job.

And the players did not seem bothered by it, and then turns its season around, and hardly a word is spoken.
Give 100% credit to the players. Though I am sure it bothered them.

Give 100% credit to the players. Though I am sure it bothered them.
It did. Pitino said after the GTown game that the day after his rant he had to go in and talk to members of the team because they were upset.

The rant is such a weird moment for me because, god was it pathetic. But if it played a part in lighting under a fire under some guys, as a fan of SJU basketball who wants to win, it is hard to hold a grudge about it.

Not altruistic. We are now making fun of it because the press could not get enough of the story. They loved hammering Pitino and even intimating he would leave for another job.

And the players did not seem bothered by it, and then turns its season around, and hardly a word is spoken.
If he gets us in tournament which is a successful season could see him leave if doesn’t think possible to get ST John’s to level he is accustomed to.
Pull Costanza and leave on a high note.

It did. Pitino said after the GTown game that the day after his rant he had to go in and talk to members of the team because they were upset.

The rant is such a weird moment for me because, god was it pathetic. But if it played a part in lighting under a fire under some guys, as a fan of SJU basketball who wants to win, it is hard to hold a grudge about it.
Coaches #1 job is to get his team to perform well, a top coach does whatever he has to do.
Even if it means calling out his players by name and people saying: "oh what an asshole.", who cares if it lightings a fire under their asses, and that's exactly what is happening, he's getting the results that he intended to do.

I'd be that asshole also, as long as my team is kicking ass also.

That's why Rick Pitino is one of the best ever, he's not afraid to do the extreme that other coaches wouldn't dare do.

Coaches #1 job is to get his team to perform well, a top coach does whatever he has to do.
Even if it means calling out his players by name and people saying: "oh what an asshole.", who cares if it lightings a fire under their asses, and that's exactly what is happening, he's getting the results that he intended to do.

I'd be that asshole also, as long as my team is kicking ass also.

That's why Rick Pitino is one of the best ever, he's not afraid to do the extreme that other coaches wouldn't dare do.
I think it speaks more to his failure to get through to this team for most of the year if he had to resort to what he resorted to after the Seton Hall game.

Still feel he deserves a lot of credit for this season if we get to the dance, but to me the turning point of the season was his apology after the GTown game, not the actual rant itself.

If you recall, we still played very mediocre the game after the rant, just were luckily playing a much worse team.

He’s not here to just get in the tournament. He wants one more glorious achievement and it’s a championship.
If he does that, then SJU has to give him a lietime contract, might have to name the court "Pitino court" after he retires.
Let him watch practice anytime he wants, free food, drinks what.

If he gets a NC here he'll forever be known as king Rick.

One of the things often forgotten here , is that Jenkins is the only starter who played for RP previously . I’m not counting Ayo and Cruz Davis because they are Iona kids , not playing currently .
2 of our Starters are Ivy League All Stars who likely have not had a Coach in 4 or more years , ever tell them forcefully they aren’t doing the job ?

Pitino is not a Nursery School teacher ! Many , many Coaches over the years have had to prod their Players to better performances . They don’t accomplish that with sweet talk and chocolates . They Yell !

So , only 1 of these Players has ever experienced the style of a HOF Coach like Pitino .
He’s trying to make every one of them to exceed their previous ceiling . It’s a tough job to do .
Smiley faces come after a Win or Senior Night or Winning a BE Tournament game or 4 .

Pitino did and even Ledlum downplayed it after the DePaul game.
Maybe it was more than they are claiming, but the season has turned around.
Notice there isn’t much need for Paragraphing Police activity this season .
Pitino influence has spread throughout Red Fans Nation .

The players reached that "f**k it" stage and decided to play to their strength on offense. Pitino, the coaches and players reached that humiliation point. It couldn't get any worse so something clicked in them. They are playing with a confidence that they lacked all season.

Nothing is more dangerous than a team that finally figures shit out. We are that. Creighton and Butler Away were both scary games. Even the most optimistic among us would have settled for one of them. At the moment, no team in the country wants to play us….

Nothing is more dangerous than a team that finally figures shit out. We are that.
Feel this way as well... we look extremely fluid on Offense- and energetic on D.

The only lapse I see consistently is that we can get beat easily when we press off a Make.... would almost rather see a Zone-ish press... I get it , and i like the full court press- it takes time off the shot clock... but need to figure that out

One of the things often forgotten here , is that Jenkins is the only starter who played for RP previously . I’m not counting Ayo and Cruz Davis because they are Iona kids , not playing currently .
2 of our Starters are Ivy League All Stars who likely have not had a Coach in 4 or more years , ever tell them forcefully they aren’t doing the job ?

Pitino is not a Nursery School teacher ! Many , many Coaches over the years have had to prod their Players to better performances . They don’t accomplish that with sweet talk and chocolates . They Yell !

So , only 1 of these Players has ever experienced the style of a HOF Coach like Pitino .
He’s trying to make every one of them to exceed their previous ceiling . It’s a tough job to do .
Smiley faces come after a Win or Senior Night or Winning a BE Tournament game or 4 .

Well both their coaches have had teams in the Sweet 16 previously. It's not like they're CYO coaches, but I don't know Amaker's and Donahue's coaching styles well. And I'm sure they're not as demanding as Pitino, few are. But he doesn't have all of his achievements because of that, he has them because of his coaching ability, the demanding part just move's him from great to legendary.

Pitino did and even Ledlum downplayed it after the DePaul game.
Maybe it was more than they are claiming, but the season has turned around.
And if we get in I will be as happy as anyone. Also being on record during the Norm years of stating “don’t care if the coach is a good guy”, I would be a hypocrite if complained too much about his rant . However you can’t give it credit for any success. What if he decided to kick Soriano in the balls before the BET and we go onto win it? Should he get credit for that?

And if we get in I will be as happy as anyone. Also being on record during the Norm years of stating “don’t care if the coach is a good guy”, I would be a hypocrite if complained too much about his rant . However you can’t give it credit for any success. What if he decided to kick Soriano in the balks before the BET and we go onto win it? Should he get credit for that?

Yes. ;)

And for the record the rant was fine, but should have been said in the locker room. If he admitted as such in his private mea culpa I'm sure it was quickly water under the bridge, if slow flowing at first.

Back