Georgetown (MSG), Sat., Mar. 9, 12 Noon, FOX

March 7th, we are playing meaningful games for the first time in eternity. With a real coach, last time we had one was Lavin. Exciting times. Lets do this.

Yeah honestly forget all the other BS! We are playing to make the tournament for the first time in a long time and clearly have a coach who is going to make us even better in the coming years just enjoy being relevant again. I want to destroy Georgetown and then want another crack at Seton Hall we owe them some payback.

Laughable that you think this was “trying things”. When kids pout and blame other kids for something they did, they don’t shout. More of a whiny tone similar to Rick’s
Let it go. They have a 4 game winning streak, the team is playing on all cylinders and they are
on the cusp of dancing. Does it really matter if it was planned or a point of frustration? I don’t think the players are thinking about it and the media has moved on. Old news

Let it go. They have a 4 game winning streak, the team is playing on all cylinders and they are
on the cusp of dancing. Does it really matter if it was planned or a point of frustration? I don’t think the players are thinking about it and the media has moved on. Old news
My issue is with people using it as some kind of motivational tool. He made a mistake and it was a dick thing he did. I am ok moving on just not ok with giving the rant credit for anything even if we go on to win national championship.

It’s highly unlikely behind close doors Rick said anything like “I had no choice but to recruit you guys, I took anyone I could get out of the portal”

Which he did say during his rant.

That’s the one part of the rant I felt was out of line and just really f’n lame.

But he did apologize for it after the GTown game and the players seemed to accept it and move on, so i feel like it’s time the rest of us move on as well

Or like rehobie said, we can all debate this ad nauseam during the summer when things are slow around here
Gee, you really think I meant he said the same thing verbatim? Hence, “very likely worse”. And calling it a rant is silly, it was measured and presented calmly, whether planned or not, it was about as far from a rant as you can get. As for being out of line, that is in the eyes of the beholder, I think it was more just much ado about nothing.

Gee, you really think I meant he said the same thing verbatim? Hence, “very likely worse”. And calling it a rant is silly, it was measured and presented calmly, whether planned or not, it was about as far from a rant as you can get. As for being out of line, that is in the eyes of the beholder, I think it was more just much ado about nothing.
Yeah I am sure u would be ok with Coach saying that about your kid with pro aspirations to the press.
Much ado about nothing

I’m going to change the subject.

This is the biggest game of the season. If we lose we can talk about Pitino and his rant all summer. A loss would end our season unless we win the BE tourney.

Hoyas have nothing to lose. They have two guards who penetrate, Epps and Brumbraugh. They could cause trouble. On a pressing full court game they would be very effective.

Our mindset will be extremely high. The players are fully aware of the importance. Let’s not lay an egg!

Go Johnnies.
Wish we would just play half court defense against this poor team. We gave up 85 points to them last time because they got a lot of easy shots off of our full court pressure.

Complete this sentence with an accurate prediction and win a beer paid for by MJ Maher:
Jayden Epps goes for ____ points vs SJU on Saturday afternoon.

Serious question. There is no way we could actually lose this game, is there?? 😱

Joined for the fifth and final time in the regular season by St. John's Assistant Coach Bob Walsh. We discuss everything that's gone on to power the four game winning streak that has resuscitated the season, the reaction to Rick Pitino's comments after the Seton Hall game, if the lateral quickness improved, the back and forth with the DePaul fans on Tuesday, getting ready for Georgetown, the Big East Tournament and the preparing for the NCAA tournament and so so much more. Bob has been amazing all season, I'm so grateful to all of you who have helped make this a reality by listening and legitimizing this passion project of mine. I hope you guys have enjoyed Bob on the podcast, learned and laughed a little, as I know I certainly have. Go Johnnies!

My issue is with people using it as some kind of motivational tool. He made a mistake and it was a dick thing he did. I am ok moving on just not ok with giving the rant credit for anything even if we go on to win national championship.
Larry is “wright” on this one.

This’ll be my last post on this topic because I really do want to focus on the rest of this season, but I’ll just say this

Excusing what Rick said that day by alluding to him “saying similar things behind closed doors” assumes that the presser was being used as like a last ditch motivational tool. And hey, maybe it was, I can’t get inside of ricks head and completely know his intent. None of us can.

But from my perspective, I feel that presser was an opportunity to shift blame from himself. Something Rick has a track record for. He was embarrassed with the way the season was playing out and he wanted to make excuses for why that was happening. In doing so, he took no accountability and put everything on his players. And worst of all, he made the players we got in the portal sound like table scraps that he grabbed just because he needed warm bodies.

That’s just lame as shit. Full stop. It’ll never not be lame. Rick (and his wife) knew that almost immediately, which is why he had to clean things up the following few days

If it lit a fire under the players, then that’s awesome for us cause we all want to win. But I think Larry’s point is what was said after the SH game shouldn’t really be celebrated, which is a sentiment I can get behind.

But I can also understand the perspective of a fan looking at this and thinking “undefeated since that happened? That’s the turning point of the season”

Not to be a centrist but I can see where everyone’s coming from on this topic. But all in all I do think the rant was sore loser talk, even if I understand it’ll be remembered differently if we go on a run here

Last edited:
Results don’t lie. Who knows maybe we flame out be gtown but if we get an ncaa bid it’s pretty much undeniable how it started

Larry is “wright” on this one.

This’ll be my last post on this topic because I really do want to focus on the rest of this season, but I’ll just say this

Excusing what Rick said that day by alluding to him “saying similar things behind closed doors” assumes that the presser was being used as like a last ditch motivational tool. And hey, maybe it was, I can’t get inside of ricks head and completely know his intent. None of us can.

But from my perspective, I feel that presser was an opportunity to shift blame from himself. Something Rick has a track record for. He was embarrassed with the way the season was playing out and he wanted to make excuses for why that was happening. In doing so, he took no accountability and put everything on his players. And worst of all, he made the players we got in the portal sound like table scraps that he grabbed just because he needed warm bodies.

That’s just lame as shit. Full stop. It’ll never not be lame. Rick (and his wife) knew that almost immediately, which is why he had to clean things up the following few days

If it lit a fire under the players, then that’s awesome for us cause we all want to win. But I think Larry’s point is what was said after the SH game shouldn’t really be celebrated, which is a sentiment I can get behind.

But I can also understand the perspective of a fan looking at this and thinking “undefeated since that happened? That’s the turning point of the season”

Not to be a centrist but I can see where everyone’s coming from on this topic. But all in all I do think the rant was sore loser talk, even if I understand it’ll be remembered differently if we go on a run here
I agree unless we get to ncaa then like I just said it’s undeniable IMO

Fear of failure or disappointment is a beyond powerful motivator

I think it speaks more to his failure to get through to this team for most of the year if he had to resort to what he resorted to after the Seton Hall game.

Still feel he deserves a lot of credit for this season if we get to the dance, but to me the turning point of the season was his apology after the GTown game, not the actual rant itself.

If you recall, we still played very mediocre the game after the rant, just were luckily playing a much worse team.
That's actually a fair point, and one I hadn't considered

Today at high noon in The Garden.
Boo Ya!! Another must win blowout needed. RP will have them pumped, no doubt. Garden should be rockin' (in spite of an early Saturday tipoff) drown out the "Lets Go Hoyas" I'll be representin' down here in Charlotte.

Today at high noon in The Garden.
Boo Ya!! Another must win blowout needed. RP will have them pumped, no doubt. Garden should be rockin' (in spite of an early Saturday tipoff) drown out the "Lets Go Hoyas" I'll be representin' down here in Charlotte.
Today? The clocks change Sunday morning...but even that won't make Friday into Saturday. :)

Why is the Press Conference being discussed in the Georgetown game thread? The only people personally involved in this were Coach Pitino and his players. It appears to me as if they have resolved whatever issues may have occurred.

The team is playing well and we have a chance to make the NCAA tourney. To me, everything but the next game is irrelevant. One game at a time. Let's beat Georgetown on Saturday.

Back