failed to qualify

Well this really stinks. We sure will have a few walk-ons now. No injuries please!
I wonder how this will affect our overall recruiting philosophy moving forward. This is a black eye to the university and Steve. I wonder if Fr H will have a greater influence again.
The glass is still half full because the remainder of the class is still better than any recruiting class we've had in about 20 years.
Also, I am somewhat surprised with Robbins NY Post article. Something must have happened between he and Lavin.
His articles have turned increasingly negative recently. If he likes Norm so much again, he should move to Florida.
Enough about Lenny, as a season ticket holder, I will still be sitting there each game watching a great class under a terrific coaching staff.
Go SJU!

Amir_Garrett amir garrett
man ST. JOHNS fans are the best hands down 100% real fans i love you all see you soon!!!
3 hours ago

Keep your head up Amir, let NOTHING get in the way of achieving your dream. Pissed off? Then do work in the classroom then get here in December and take it out on all of our opponents. Go off on them hard.

To answer Poeman: "What do we do now."
The only thing they can do is play to the best of their ability and war with whoever. Maybe have that us against the world mentality (like the 07 Giants) and shine even with 7 scholarship players until (hopefully) the reinforcements come. THEN IT`S GAME ON.

I know I`d be off the hook and pissed at myself for letting down my team mates for not being eligeable that I`d do whatever it takes to get my ass on the court by December.

first off. how did this happen? and will they be able to practice?

This happens every year at colleges. SJ is caught in a numbers game with 8 frosh. Jakarr is heartbroken I am sure and Pelle and Garrett were issues from day one. I hope at least two of them stick it out but they have few options. We will have to endure some tough games with the likes of Harkless, Sir Dom, Greene, Lindsay, God Gift, and Sampson plus Stith and walk-ons but the experience these kids will have will make them terrific players in 2012 and if the the three get cleared of their transcript issues, January will be very interesting.  BTW, I think our starting five will still be more talented than the seniors we had last year. The bench will be a problem but let us keep our fingers crossed for December 19th.

I think you mean Harkless, Dom, Greene, Lindsay and Harrison.

Does anyone have more info on these two depressing reports about JS (haven't figured out the search function on new board yet):

"Do not be surprised if JaKarr Sampson re-opens his recruitment and doesn't wind up at St. John's."

http://twitter.com/#!/GoodmanCBS/status/114463165890306048

"Per Don Anderson and @BrewsterHoops calling J. Sampson a done deal to Brewster is a bit premature. That said, he won't be at St. John's"

http://twitter.com/#!/BSnowScout/status/114463461785874432

------------------------
Still Bigger, Better, Stronger, Faster.................SJU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Because JaKarr Sampson never enrolled at St. John's, he can still go back to STJ or any Big East school if he does another year at Brewster."

http://twitter.com/#!/jeffborzello/status/114491304397905921
------------------------
Still Bigger, Better, Stronger, Faster.................SJU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first off. how did this happen? and will they be able to practice?

This happens every year at colleges. SJ is caught in a numbers game with 8 frosh. Jakarr is heartbroken I am sure and Pelle and Garrett were issues from day one. I hope at least two of them stick it out but they have few options. We will have to endure some tough games with the likes of Harkless, Sir Dom, Greene, Lindsay, God Gift, and Sampson plus Stith and walk-ons but the experience these kids will have will make them terrific players in 2012 and if the the three get cleared of their transcript issues, January will be very interesting.  BTW, I think our starting five will still be more talented than the seniors we had last year. The bench will be a problem but let us keep our fingers crossed for December 19th.

I think you mean Harkless, Dom, Greene, Lindsay and Harrison.

U R correct! I think Jakarr is going back to prep for the semester. Amir is appealing. Not sure about Pelle. Since none of the three enrolled they can qualify for Spring term if they qualify. Since none are from the NY metro area they return to their home bases and can re-open their recruitment for 2012. We all knew JaKarr and Pelle were on the academic fence but take risks with talent like theirs. Amir is a shock and I think the NCAA will reverse itself and we will see him December 19th. I would not be surprised to see Pelle go the JC route.

Garrett, Sampson, and Pelle have let down the school, its fans, and most importantly themselves. I thought all 3 of these players were committed to playing at an elite level this upcoming season. Guess not when all is said and done. Because a committed individual would've busted his butt to get everything in order. Not give a school his word and then fail to deliver on it.

My advice to these guys is to get their heads on straight and fast. They embarrassed themselves and if they wanted to show they were real men they would push on, complete whatever needs completing, and get on the STJ campus as soon as possible. And if any of the rumors are true and one of them is looking to re-open his recruitment, then that is someone Steve Lavin should walk away from as soon as possible. You don't need anyone that immature at your school.

Get rid of all three of them. If they aren't responsible enough to do the work to become eligible, then I don't want them here. It's not like they all of a sudden woke up one day and out of nowhere were having academic issues.....it was a work in process that took time....

LET THEM GO BE SOMEONE ELSE'S PROBLEM!!

Get rid of all three of them. If they aren't responsible enough to do the work to become eligible, then I don't want them here. It's not like they all of a sudden woke up one day and out of nowhere were having academic issues.....it was a work in process that took time....

I hope you didn't tell Rob Thomas the same thing when he had to sit out a year.

You never know what the kids' story is.

I think it may take a day or two for these players to get over the shock and then figure out their future plans. Garrett has posted on twitter that he plans to be here in december. and I dont see why Pelle and Sampson would not take a wait and see approach. If they are able to do what it takes to qualify, then they are back after only 10 games. I dont know why I keep reading that Sampson will re-open his recruitment. He wanted to come to St. John's and if all works out he will be, all be it 3 months later then expected. To me, if st johns does what it can to get him qualified why would decide to go to another school where he wouldn't be eligible until 2012-2013.

And in terms of only having an 8 man team, now I know that the talent level is not nearly the same, but the 1986-87, led by Berry only played 7 men and they had no problem with it. Ialso remmember some Syracuse teams that played a small rotation.

As a st johns alum and fan for over 35 years I have great faith in Lavin his staff that they will do the best for the school and the student athletes.

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091511aab.html

Sept. 15, 2011

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's University head coach Steve Lavin announced Thursday that prospective men's basketball student-athletes Amir Garrett, Norvel Pelle and JaKarr Sampson will be unable to qualify for the 2011 fall semester. With St. John's now in the third week of classes, the University will continue to work in concert with the NCAA to review the cases of the student-athletes this fall for potential enrollment in the spring of 2012.

"We will continue to work with the NCAA in an effort to review Amir, Norvel and JaKarr's cases regarding their eligibility. Our student-athletes and their families have been patient and cooperative throughout this review process," said Lavin. "We are hopeful that Amir, Norvel and JaKarr will be able to join us on the court this winter, and in the classroom when the 2012 spring semester begins."

St. John's will continue to work with the NCAA Eligibility Center during the fall semester to attempt to secure spring enrollment for all three student-athletes. If granted, the first time Garrett, Pelle and Sampson would be able to participate in Red Storm team practice would be Dec. 19, with their first potential game participation on Dec. 21 vs. Texas Pan-American.

"The NCAA Eligibility Center informed us this afternoon that after a review, these three PSAs cannot qualify at this time," said Director of Athletics Chris Monasch. "The University has been proactive and diligent in assisting in the reviews for each of our incoming men's basketball student-athletes. We will continue to review what avenues the student-athletes may have to achieve their initial eligibility." 

Is this a case where the NCAA couldn't make a decsion in time to let the kids take summer courses of whatever else was necessary? If so, it a shame that the kids are the one who suffer because the NCAA can't act more quickly!

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091511aab.html

Sept. 15, 2011

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's University head coach Steve Lavin announced Thursday that prospective men's basketball student-athletes Amir Garrett, Norvel Pelle and JaKarr Sampson will be unable to qualify for the 2011 fall semester. With St. John's now in the third week of classes, the University will continue to work in concert with the NCAA to review the cases of the student-athletes this fall for potential enrollment in the spring of 2012.

"We will continue to work with the NCAA in an effort to review Amir, Norvel and JaKarr's cases regarding their eligibility. Our student-athletes and their families have been patient and cooperative throughout this review process," said Lavin. "We are hopeful that Amir, Norvel and JaKarr will be able to join us on the court this winter, and in the classroom when the 2012 spring semester begins."

St. John's will continue to work with the NCAA Eligibility Center during the fall semester to attempt to secure spring enrollment for all three student-athletes. If granted, the first time Garrett, Pelle and Sampson would be able to participate in Red Storm team practice would be Dec. 19, with their first potential game participation on Dec. 21 vs. Texas Pan-American.

"The NCAA Eligibility Center informed us this afternoon that after a review, these three PSAs cannot qualify at this time," said Director of Athletics Chris Monasch. "The University has been proactive and diligent in assisting in the reviews for each of our incoming men's basketball student-athletes. We will continue to review what avenues the student-athletes may have to achieve their initial eligibility." 

Is this a case where the NCAA couldn't make a decsion in time to let the kids take summer courses of whatever else was necessary? If so, it a shame that the kids are the one who suffer because the NCAA can't act more quickly!

I love how Congress pokes its nose in professional sports. They should focus on the ass backwards NCAA instead.

Have you heard it from mr. sampson himself that he is looking to open up his recruiting, or from some one on twitter who has a source. just because it is on the internet it is not always true. As a fam and an alum, they have not let me down one bit, everyone and I mean everyone has had sometype of setback in their lives and u learn and gain from it. For us as fans it is a game and then we move on for these 3 17-18 yr old kids this is their life. sometimes we look at these players because of their talents to be more then just HS seniors. and I am sure that all of us were not the same people we are today when we were HS seniors.

Give Sampson, Pelle and Garrett a break. They did not do this on purpose and I think the lst thing they wanted to do was let down themselves and st. johns.

Have you heard it from mr. sampson himself that he is looking to open up his recruiting, or from some one on twitter who has a source. just because it is on the internet it is not always true. As a fam and an alum, they have not let me down one bit, everyone and I mean everyone has had sometype of setback in their lives and u learn and gain from it. For us as fans it is a game and then we move on for these 3 17-18 yr old kids this is their life. sometimes we look at these players because of their talents to be more then just HS seniors. and I am sure that all of us were not the same people we are today when we were HS seniors.

Give Sampson, Pelle and Garrett a break. They did not do this on purpose and I think the lst thing they wanted to do was let down themselves and st. johns.

The same person who reported they were ineligible also mentioned the possibility. And PMG on Johnny Jungle confirmed he was hearing the same.

One of the greatest players in St. John's history had to go JUCO before he became eligible to play for the redmen! I will let your imagination run wild as to who that was but if Jakarr and Amir hold true to their commitment I expect your resignation on my desk on December 19th" 

I realize that it is a possibility any thing is possible. my whole point is until a st johns or sampson make a statement as to his future, it is all speculation. I know that people hear things but I go back to what I said before, u have an 18 year old kid who has just been told he cant do what he loves to do at the place he wanted to do it at. He must be totally confused and is thinking of what is best for him. If it is reopening his recruitment then that is what it will be. but that is a decision he and his family should decide.

The same person who reported they were ineligible also mentioned the possibility. And PMG on Johnny Jungle confirmed he was hearing the same.

Speculation about the obvious?
Since their ships are now invalid they are free agents anyway! They do not have to open up their recruitment, schools will be calling them by tomorrow! The NCAA had all f n summer to evaluate these kids and they dragged their asses until school was in session! So much for their concern about the students!

The M.Jarvis era, 10 years ago,

we had 5 players playing 90% of time with six-man of C.Gray.

E.Barkly, B. thornton, Postel, . and.. one for sure, without a truth center, we beat both dep. finalists

DUKE, Uconn at the same week.

problem for this year is the we are the youngerst team.

Is there any chance that 3 kids stay longer than 4 years instead of having 8 seniors later ?

problem for this year is the we are the youngerst team.

Is there any chance that 3 kids stay longer than 4 years instead of having 8 seniors later ?

I think there's a chance that some of these kids may go pro prior to their senior years, therby balancing the classes. If the ineligables don't come back, that's 3 ships for the future.

I believe that these kids were taken summer school classes and finished up in late August, early september so the ncaa really didnt drag their feet. My question is if they are free agents, even if they decide to re open their recruitment they cant be eligible until next year. so if they may have an opportunity to gain eligibility at st johns in dec wouldnt they rather only sit out 3 months instead of a year. and what would make them all of a sudden change their minds about not wanting to play for st. johns. if they wanted they could have just tried to opt out of their scholships before this happened. am I wrong in believing that these kids still want to play here?

Questions for anyone who might know NCAA policies-regulations. Since I believe both Pelle and Sampson are on campus or in the city, can they do what ever needs to be done here in NY or do they have to go to their hometowns. I would think that if they could do it here the St. John's staff can do everything it can to help them out.

Back