failed to qualify

Tweet one minute ago from Garrett:

"Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@TDimas_ @karrsampson14 @damn_norvel I'll be there January believe that!!"

Garrett will take his $1mil. signing bonus and we probably won't see him here. Hopefully the other stick around.

Tweet one minute ago from Garrett:

"Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@TDimas_ @karrsampson14 @damn_norvel I'll be there January believe that!!"

I hope he's right.

Sounds funny coming from Garrett, though. He's the guy who would have the least to lose if he bolted right now.

as tarkanian pointed out back in the day...ohio state got caught cheating...look for cleveland state to go on probation.

now it's ohio state and miami...so, as usual...the ncaa comes down on us.

i hate these hypocrites.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091511aab.html

Sept. 15, 2011

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's University head coach Steve Lavin announced Thursday that prospective men's basketball student-athletes Amir Garrett, Norvel Pelle and JaKarr Sampson will be unable to qualify for the 2011 fall semester. With St. John's now in the third week of classes, the University will continue to work in concert with the NCAA to review the cases of the student-athletes this fall for potential enrollment in the spring of 2012.

"We will continue to work with the NCAA in an effort to review Amir, Norvel and JaKarr's cases regarding their eligibility. Our student-athletes and their families have been patient and cooperative throughout this review process," said Lavin. "We are hopeful that Amir, Norvel and JaKarr will be able to join us on the court this winter, and in the classroom when the 2012 spring semester begins."

St. John's will continue to work with the NCAA Eligibility Center during the fall semester to attempt to secure spring enrollment for all three student-athletes. If granted, the first time Garrett, Pelle and Sampson would be able to participate in Red Storm team practice would be Dec. 19, with their first potential game participation on Dec. 21 vs. Texas Pan-American.

"The NCAA Eligibility Center informed us this afternoon that after a review, these three PSAs cannot qualify at this time," said Director of Athletics Chris Monasch. "The University has been proactive and diligent in assisting in the reviews for each of our incoming men's basketball student-athletes. We will continue to review what avenues the student-athletes may have to achieve their initial eligibility." 

The Norm Roberts era bites again having so many schollies in one year.

Luckily this is the end of the Normistake 

I hope all 3 stay, if they are eligible in dec, they will only miss a handful of games. I think all 3 want to prove themselves at st john's and I think they will. with adversity comes strength and If eligible in dec, i think the 3 will be ready to go.

another Garrett tweet:

All the ones that are talking bad about me, keep talkin I'm not lettin this get me down, I'm still #stjbb I'll be there soon!!

first off. how did this happen? and will they be able to practice?

This happens every year at colleges. SJ is caught in a numbers game with 8 frosh. Jakarr is heartbroken I am sure and Pelle and Garrett were issues from day one. I hope at least two of them stick it out but they have few options. We will have to endure some tough games with the likes of Harkless, Sir Dom, Greene, Lindsay, God Gift, and Sampson plus Stith and walk-ons but the experience these kids will have will make them terrific players in 2012 and if the the three get cleared of their transcript issues, January will be very interesting.  BTW, I think our starting five will still be more talented than the seniors we had last year. The bench will be a problem but let us keep our fingers crossed for December 19th.

What happens is the rest of the talented players step up They are more than capable In dec we get the 3 back
and skys the limit

They will still run. When I palyed basketball we could run a day and into the nite. Difficulty is the div 1 schedule Think the shape they will be in in Dec when we get the 3 players qualified

Well this sucks, hopefully they get cleared soon but we could be in for a long season. I wonder how this will affect recruiting in the future

Pretty bad news today... but it isn't the end of the world.. We as St john's fans should be used to a little letdown every now and then.. I was almost not able to recognize this site lately. Everyone was cheery and optimistic :) Hey at the very least we will have on paper the most talented team we have had in awhile . Will we be short.. yes ( literally) but hopefully the 3 take care of biz and are able to join the team in December. Now let's hope we get some good news on the 20th!!!

What happens is the rest of the talented players step up They are more than capable In dec we get the 3 back
and skys the limit

The players with an immediate impact were going to be Harkless, Lindsey, Pointer and Harrison. They are still here!! our depth will lose a few games early but I think at least 2 of 3 will be playing come December!
Pelle may be the long shot but the experience gained by the starting five will make them veterans sooner IMO! 

Can someone please explain to me how they will eligible in Dec if they're not now. 

These were their final prep scores which were below NCAA standards. They will work on them this semester and be admitted as mid-year freshmen when the scores are approved by the NCAA, I think this is how it works. Anyone else?

Back