failed to qualify

This is all very "deja vu" for folks who have followed the Clearinghouse's dealings with Steve Lavin recruits since 1997 - McDonalds All Americans Schea Cotton in 97 and Evan Burns 5 years later. Completed all their requirements, actually enrolled in school, and the Cleariinghouse refused to accept portions of their quailfying transcripts - for Cotton it was an SAT test that he was (under a Dr's certification of a reading disorder) allowed extra time to complete his SAT test (fully accepted by the SAT administrators), and a Core english class in high school for Burns that was "questioned" by the clearinghouse, even tho they'd accepted the exact same course form the same school, same teacher for 11 other D-1 athletes over the previous 5 years.

In both cases, the Clearing house was proved wrong - AFTER the players had to elect to attend a different school. For Burns, the class was magically accepted after he re-entrolled at San Diego State to play for Steve Fisher (UCLA didn't accept partial qualifiers, so couldn't fund his scholarship - SDSU did).

In Coltton's case, it was proven in the courts that the Clearinghouse had no right to challenge the SAT result. But it took Schea and his family and a bevy of lawyers over 2 years (and a total of 3 universities) before he was allowed to play.

I often wonder, since the Cotton thing was finally completed well before Burns left high school, if Steve Lavin's support for the Cotton's lawsuit (I believe he testified for Schea in both the original case, and again in the two appleals filed by the NCAA after Schea won in court each time) didn't have something to do with the entire Burns situation and it's "magical" resolution.

Conspiracy theorist that I am (Grassy knoll, anyone?), I wonder if it doesn't have anything to do with THIS situation....

Oh boy - this is actually quite worrisome...It seems the NCAA has it out for Lavin and that there is a history there...The Schea situation really stinks as it basically ruined his career and the NCAA can just dare you to waste 3 years and all that money to prove them wrong

This is all very "deja vu" for folks who have followed the Clearinghouse's dealings with Steve Lavin recruits since 1997 - McDonalds All Americans Schea Cotton in 97 and Evan Burns 5 years later. Completed all their requirements, actually enrolled in school, and the Cleariinghouse refused to accept portions of their quailfying transcripts - for Cotton it was an SAT test that he was (under a Dr's certification of a reading disorder) allowed extra time to complete his SAT test (fully accepted by the SAT administrators), and a Core english class in high school for Burns that was "questioned" by the clearinghouse, even tho they'd accepted the exact same course form the same school, same teacher for 11 other D-1 athletes over the previous 5 years.

In both cases, the Clearing house was proved wrong - AFTER the players had to elect to attend a different school. For Burns, the class was magically accepted after he re-entrolled at San Diego State to play for Steve Fisher (UCLA didn't accept partial qualifiers, so couldn't fund his scholarship - SDSU did).

In Coltton's case, it was proven in the courts that the Clearinghouse had no right to challenge the SAT result. But it took Schea and his family and a bevy of lawyers over 2 years (and a total of 3 universities) before he was allowed to play.

I often wonder, since the Cotton thing was finally completed well before Burns left high school, if Steve Lavin's support for the Cotton's lawsuit (I believe he testified for Schea in both the original case, and again in the two appleals filed by the NCAA after Schea won in court each time) didn't have something to do with the entire Burns situation and it's "magical" resolution.

Conspiracy theorist that I am (Grassy knoll, anyone?), I wonder if it doesn't have anything to do with THIS situation....

Oh boy - this is actually quite worrisome...It seems the NCAA has it out for Lavin and that there is a history there...The Schea situation really stinks as it basically ruined his career and the NCAA can just dare you to waste 3 years and all that money to prove them wrong

Cotton was so long ago who you think is still at the NCAA in that position

Don't know how old you are, Moose. To someone my age, it ain't been all that long. Schea finally beat the NCAA in 2000 - inbred beaurocracy that it is,I think a lot of folks are still around the NCAA and its Clearinhouse from 11 years ago....

That was the first thing I was hit by. The staff was so sure they would get all 9 in. They took the news like a lamb........or at least that is the way it appears. I would have thought they would have put up some kind of fight. Then again, maybe they have been fighting with the clearing house for a while and the decision was made public yesterday.

No, I found out about it before it was announced and only the day before, SJU people thought they were all good. NCAA handed down a shocker and denied them all. Originally, there was only 1 recruit of the 3 that the staff was worried about getting through.

Don't know how old you are, Moose. To someone my age, it ain't been all that long. Schea finally beat the NCAA in 2000 - inbred beaurocracy that it is,I think a lot of folks are still around the NCAA and its Clearinhouse from 11 years ago....

Age is not a factor. I just know that a lot of NCAA positions have changed over the last decade. Including right at the top.

With this information having appeared on here, and confirmed by multiple other outlets, I herby formally ask the mods to remove my "infamous" thread from the other day.

It is pretty clear we were hosed, plain and simple. 

We are not in the habit of removing threads, whether we agree with the content or not. Our mandate is to enforce the forum rules which we all do to the best of our ability.
As a moderator I certainly will not be deleting the thread nor would I expect any of my fellow moderators to do so.

With this information having appeared on here, and confirmed by multiple other outlets, I herby formally ask the mods to remove my "infamous" thread from the other day.

We are not in the habit of removing threads, whether we agree with the content or not. Our mandate is to enforce the forum rules which we all do to the best of our ability.
As a moderator I certainly will not be deleting the thread nor would I expect any of my fellow moderators to do so.

Redmennorth,

I respect whatever decision you make. Like I said, no going back on it now.

Mods should sticky it so the stupidity lives on forever.

Mods should sticky it so the stupidity lives on forever.

Stupdity will live on forever with or without a sticky.

Where is Lawmanfan when you need him. 

Celebrating a Lavin miscue

If you are going to recruit kids who need to get their grades up before they become eligible, then (a) don't send them all to the same prep school (there's an aphorism about eggs and a basket in there somewhere); and (b) don't overdo it by getting them all A's (there's another aphorism about lily, gilding in there somewhere).

It would appear that the result of the miscue is that SJU could lose one or more of these players to other schools. Not good. Not a disaster, given the staff's proven ability to recruit, but the disintegration of the Big East is not going to make their jobs any easier.

God's Gift had better not be foul prone because he is going to be logging a whole lot of minutes.

A major part of Lavin's sales pitch to kids was that St. John's played in the best conference in basketball. That's a card he can longer play, and it'll hurt our recruiting a great deal. Wouldn't be surprised if Gathers reneges on his verbal.

Sampson appears to be heading back to Brewster...

Amir is flying back to east coast per his Twitter... anyone know where?

Pelle? Anyone have news? 

Pelle? Anyone have news? 

Kar IS back at Brewster! He will be back at SJ! Amir should be qualified by December 20th. Pelle is a problem.

Pelle? Anyone have news? 

Kar IS back at Brewster! He will be back at SJ! Amir should be qualified by December 20th. Pelle is a problem.
'72 - will JKS swing the Spring? 

Pelle? Anyone have news? 

'72 - will JKS swing the Spring? 

I think Jakarr will make the spring. It has been told that he needs 3 classes as does Amir. Wouldn't be surprised to have both of them at Brewster. I think they'll be both aboard. With Pelle, my guess is that he needs more to get qualified and might need the whole year. That said, regardless of the college he attends, he will need a prep year or JUCO. He has a great basketball future if he stays the course. He screwed up his HS career. Can Pelle focus and keep on the path or will he become one of those kids that you forget about a few years later and say, what happened to that kid? Hopefully the former. We're in great shape if we can get out of this Amir and Jakarr in the second semester when league play starts.

Where is Lawmanfan when you need him. 

Celebrating a Lavin miscue

If you are going to recruit kids who need to get their grades up before they become eligible, then (a) don't send them all to the same prep school (there's an aphorism about eggs and a basket in there somewhere); and (b) don't overdo it by getting them all A's (there's another aphorism about lily, gilding in there somewhere).

It would appear that the result of the miscue is that SJU could lose one or more of these players to other schools. Not good. Not a disaster, given the staff's proven ability to recruit, but the disintegration of the Big East is not going to make their jobs any easier.

God's Gift had better not be foul prone because he is going to be logging a whole lot of minutes.

If you look at my posts since all of it went down I have been very vocal about an issue of sending them all to the same school. So you have no disagreement with me there.

However your next point about the A's to me insinuates that STJ was involved in them getting their grades at RISE. Slippery slope your going down there IMHO.

Back