2023-24 Rankings

And we could easily have won the BC game; not so with Michigan.
Your periodic reminder that BC and Michigan both destroyed us with guards off the dribble; it was not until the first Xavier game that Pitino changed the defense to account for that - which has mostly worked, although we still get pounded by guards especially when we press too much.

What an enigma Michigan was this year... they looked sooooo good that game.... CRUSHED their first two opponents (who are both 2nd in their respective leagues)... and then they fell off right after our game.

Maybe Rick waits till game 3 next year to schedule the Big Boys
Martelli coaching versus Howard coaching? I understand that our level of defense back then helped them look good, but 8-21?

I know Lunardi is meh. But just to underline how important this Nova/Prov game:
Prov is last team in, Nova is first team out
Seton Hall is the 2nd to last team in

If Nova beats Providence, we will likely be the 5th seed of the BET and playing...Seton Hall

At-large bid chances jumped from 38% to 57%.

If you look closely, it has us at a 64% chance if we win one BET game

This has jumped to 64% at-large, and a 76% chance if we win one game in the tournament.

Bracket Matrix was just updated! http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

St John’s in 46 Brackets with about half yet to update there brackets

Yes great to see after a really good (off) weekend for us, the general consensus is that we're now the final team in and in 46/84 brackets (55%). Also 13/84 of the brackets were updated prior to Saturday, so I'd expect our position in some of those to improve.

As someone posted earlier (I think IDRAFT?), there could be some bid thieves. For example, let's say if a team not projected to make the Tournament wins their conference tournament (such as Georgetown a few years ago), they'd then take a slot from a bubble team. I'd expect anywhere from 0-2 bid thieves this year given the currently projected number of teams per conference.

Certainly still want to move up regardless, if anything it'd be really nice to avoid the First Four. I think if we blow out DePaul/Georgetown and then win the first game of the BET as the 5 seed (likely against 4 seed Hall- so a Q2 game) then that may be enough. At a minimum that should be enough to make the First Four. Definitely didn't think we'd make even the First Four a couple weeks ago, so really glad to be playing meaningful games in March again.

KenPom improves from #30 to #29 after beating #312 DePaul on the road by 27.

Currently in 79/125 brackets (63%) on Bracket Matrix, and the third to last team IN (ahead of New Mexico and Seton Hall- so we'd be playing Pitino in the First Four lol). Keeps getting better every day!

KenPom improves from #30 to #29 after beating #312 DePaul on the road by 27.

Currently in 79/125 brackets (63%) on Bracket Matrix, and the third to last team IN (ahead of New Mexico and Seton Hall- so we'd be playing Pitino in the First Four lol). Keeps getting better every day!
Hahaha it seems inevitable!! I agree let’s keep moving up the seed line we need a 5 spot cushion. There always is bid stealers out there from conference tourneys…Let’s go Nova tomorrow!

NET improves from #38 to #34!

Also, as Rothstein pointed out on X, Richmond and South Florida are projected as Tournament teams by many because they lead their conferences (bracketologists are giving them auto-bids), however they would be unlikely to get at-large bids if they don't win their conference tournaments. Currently both are projected in the field on Bracket Matrix as auto-bids / conference tournament winners.

If both lose their conference tournaments and there are no bid thieves, then that'd free up two spots and we'd currently be in the "real" tournament on Bracket Matrix (as the last Bye) and not the First Four round. Unusual situation where the A10 and AAC leaders aren't in line to get at-larges, so rather than bid thieves this year we may have the opposite (bid givers?), or somewhere in the middle.

In short, this year we shouldn't need to worry about a bunch of bubble slots being "stolen" during conference tournament week, and there's even potential for things to improve. Of course we can't rely on what happens with other teams though and just need to keep winning (and winning big vs. Georgetown).

Our NET dropped 2 spots yesterday to #36. Nova dropped 4 spots but is fortunately still Q1 (#29). Still 5 Q1 wins. Not bad given yesterday was the worst day for our resume in a while.

In 85/113 (75%) brackets on Bracket Matrix and remain in the First Four vs. New Mexico, but the number of brackets we're in is increasing. Also, only 40/113 of the brackets have updated after the DePaul win.

Last edited:
Back