2023-24 Rankings

ADORAZ

2023 $upporter
With St. John's about to land another top recruit and sure to receive some preseason AP votes, I figured we'd start the rankings thread early this year (last year I didn't even bother). I don't know if St. John's will be ranked at any point this season, personally I'd be very happy just to make the Tournament, but some AP voters think we're good enough to be ranked so we know at a minimum we'll be RV preseason.

Here are the 23-24 incoming class rankings, pre-Wilcher. For now I'll just post 247 Composite as that's an aggregate of online rankings:
High school class: #75
Transfer class: #6
Overall: #42 (personally I think this will skyrocket once Wilcher brings up the high school ranking)

AP/notable online voters:
Stadium: #24 (Goodman)
SI.com: #24 (Sweeney)

A lot more coming shortly!

The best chance of an AP ranking at some point this season will require a good start to the season which will require things to gel quickly. The Big East will be tough to make up for a slow start.

I just want to make the tournament and win a game. I’d love if we got to Friday night of the Big East!

Sign me up for making the Tournament, even losing in the First Four. After only 1 NCAA/NIT Tournament appearance the last 8 years I'd be thrilled with that result.

Sign me up for making the Tournament, even losing in the First Four. After only 1 NCAA/NIT Tournament appearance the last 8 years I'd be thrilled with that result.
I am so pumped I can’t think past Michigan on November 13…you guys are talking Tournament /Friday night at the BE Tourney! Love it.

I will say this, it will be the most anticipated season since Artest/Barkley/Bootsey years.

I am so pumped I can’t think past Michigan on November 13…you guys are talking Tournament /Friday night at the BE Tourney! Love it.

I will say this, it will be the most anticipated season since Artest/Barkley/Bootsey years.

I have to say I was quite excited about a team that I thought was starting Jordan/Harrison/Pointer/Sampson/Obekpa with Sanchez first off the bench and PGIII, God'sgift and Branch for depth. Unfortunately Pointer had a subpar Junior year. Sanchez never became the NBA player we anticitated and Obekpa was, well, Obekpa.

For year one it is.

No, it is not, and I think if you took a poll you'd find the vast majority of posters here would be dissatisfied with that result and not one would be 'thrilled' if that were to happen.

As I’ve been saying, I just want one win in the tournament. I’d imagine the team will need time to learn one of the most complex defenses in the country. RP will probably start off in a lot of traditional zone while slowly adding more man concepts to it.

The cupcakes early will be more meaningful than past seasons.

RP wants another Final Four and you can see the seeds of that flowering his third season with Dunlap, Zuby, the Greek kid, Luis, and hopefully Welcher.

No, it is not, and I think if you took a poll you'd find the vast majority of posters here would be dissatisfied with that result and not one would be 'thrilled' if that were to happen.
If "thrilled" is too strong a word then fine, I'll say "happy/satisfied", but besides that I strongly disagree. I think most fans would be happy to make March Madness this year. Keep in mind it's taken all of our coaches from the past 2 decades at least 4+ years to make the Tournament, with the exception of Lavin's inherited senior team.

If "thrilled" is too strong a word then fine, I'll say "happy/satisfied", but besides that I strongly disagree. I think most fans would be happy to make March Madness this year. Keep in mind it's taken all of our coaches from the past 2 decades at least 4+ years to make the Tournament, with the exception of Lavin's inherited senior team.

Sorry, but I think you're off here. I think if we only made the First Four and lost this board will be extremely unhappy with that result. Of course, if that's your personal expectation then you're entitled to that but don't think the majority of this board shares your viewpoint.

Sorry, but I think you're off here. I think if we only made the First Four and lost this board will be extremely unhappy with that result. Of course, if that's your personal expectation then you're entitled to that but don't think the majority of this board shares your viewpoint.

That's fair, i guess we have no way of knowing unless we make a poll. I'll just say that I haven't visited this site as much over the last few weeks once Dingle signed and the roster finalized, but up until that point I saw a lot of people not even expecting to make the Tournament. Maybe expectations have dramatically raised over the last few days with the Wilcher news, though.

I know I personally wouldn't be satisfied with participating in the "First Four" and losing. If our roster takes shape as I foresee it, then I expect to be anywhere between a 5 seed to 9 seed. I probably would be satisfied with a win and ecstatic with more than one win in that scenario.

Our past means squat. All that matters for this season is we have a real nice roster of players and a great coach.

I do this every year... and I have been terribly disappointed in regards to my pre-season expectations the last 3 seasons (had us in the Tourney the last 2 seasons, and a bubble team Julian's soph year...)

I have an amazing ability to talk myself into any SJU roster...

So you're telling me that we have Joel back as a 5th year- and a scorer like Dingle.... with Pitino coaching these guys?!?!? Of Course I'm gonna have us with 22+wins / Winning record in the BE / Friday night BET appearance / Top 6 seed in the East region.

Back