2023-24 Rankings

I wanna start paying some teams back this year like Lavin's first year
Are you kidding? I still want revenge on Fang Mitchell and Coppin State! I still can’t let it go. 😡 At this point I can’t even remember if we lost to them but dammit I think we did.

Well, clearly expectations have elevated since the last time I saw people having this conversation on here / Twitter. Looks like amongst the hardcore fans here the expectation now may be a Tournament win.

Here's why I'm keeping my expectations at simply making the Tournament:
1. It'd be an amazing result compared to our last half dozen or so coaches.
2. Every year there are many teams with high expectations that for whatever reason don't even make the Tournament. Just look at UNC who was preseason #1 but missed out on the Tournament entirely this year.
3. Always have to account for injuries/suspensions/players having down years, etc.
4. The roster is almost entirely new and teams that perform best in March are often together longer.
5. The Tournament is a one game scenario, and unless we're a top 4ish seed we'd at best only be favored by a few points. Anything can happen in one game, as we see every year during March Madness. Maybe the other team simply gets hot, etc. I won't judge the season based on one game.
6. With all that in mind, I could/would consider the season a success halfway through if we're playing well and on our way to a bid. I wouldn't need to wait until one game in March to be satisfied.

I am glad though to see expectations are high for next year- quite refreshing with the usual pessimism surrounding this program.

Being Irish I have a lot of grudges that I cant even remember with who or why but I know I have grudges :)
Come to think of it, I had tickets to the 2000 BE Championship Game. I couldn’t make it that night. However, I was able to get home in time. It was a revenge game vs the Yukon. Just so happens it was a pretty crappy night. I think it was like a rain snow thing In March. Of course we are kicking Yukon’s ass. Postell and Barkley are having a blast. Ten minutes to go and…poof. Down goes my satellite. I had to listen to the end of the game on the radio. That was our last BE Title. What are we 23 years and counting? I think it’s time to break the streak.

I know I personally wouldn't be satisfied with participating in the "First Four" and losing. If our roster takes shape as I foresee it, then I expect to be anywhere between a 5 seed to 9 seed. I probably would be satisfied with a win and ecstatic with more than one win in that scenario.
I will be satisfied to play Friday night before the dance and on Thursday or Friday in the dance, very happy to play Saturday night before the dance and the first weekend in the dance. After that it's a crap shoot and Pitino has historically been a high roller so . . .

For year one it is.
No. No. No. Why accept that?

Pitino is the top college basketball coach right now, and he's great at coaching players up.

Imagine Soriano and Dingle getting even better then last year omg, and everyone else.
Pitino is going to do big things this year, to me it's sweet 16 or bust. I know Rick can do it with these guys.

I'd say championship but don't want to put to much pressure on the guy. :D

Pitino is the top college basketball coach right now, and he's great at coaching players up.

Imagine Soriano and Dingle getting even better then last year omg, and everyone else.
Pitino is going to do big things this year, to me it's sweet 16 or bust. I know Rick can do it with these guys.

See my reply above. So many things can unexpectedly go wrong, such as injuries, and often teams with a lot of hype (such as #1 preseason UNC) don't even make the Tournament. Further, I don't think the season should be judged by a single game in March when at best we'd only be favored by a few points (unless we're a top 4 seed). How can the season not be considered a success if we make the Tournament as a 7 seed but lose to the 10 seed? We'd only be favored by a point or two and the other team might just have had a better day. Wouldn't negatively impact my view of the season at all.

See my reply above. So many things can unexpectedly go wrong, such as injuries, and often teams with a lot of hype (such as #1 preseason UNC) don't even make the Tournament. Further, I don't think the season should be judged by a single game in March when at best we'd only be favored by a few points (unless we're a top 4 seed). How can the season not be considered a success if we make the Tournament as a 7 seed but lose to the 10 seed? We'd only be favored by a point or two and the other team might just have had a better day. Wouldn't negatively impact my view of the season at all.
This is the correct answer.

Of course anything can happen, just look at the plane carrying the Marshall players that crashed. If injuries stay at the minimum we're looking real good. True about #1 preseason UNC, but Hubert is no Pitino.

No gaurantee but one of the top center in college stayed, we got a top scorer in Dingle, if Jenkins in available then we'll have a very experienced player that know Ricks system, a top recruit in Wilcher. Yeah I'm expecting a pretty high seed.

Of course anything can happen, just look at the plane carrying the Marshall players that crashed. If injuries stay at the minimum we're looking real good. True about #1 preseason UNC, but Hubert is no Pitino.

No gaurantee but one of the top center in college stayed, we got a top scorer in Dingle, if Jenkins in available then we'll have a very experienced player that know Ricks system, a top recruit in Wilcher. Yeah I'm expecting a pretty high seed.
One game means nothing. How often have we seen teams such as UConn (2023), UVA (2019) or Nova (2018) upset in the first round and then the following year win the whole thing? Just off the top of my head that has happened with at least 3 of the last 5 National Champions. I'm not going to judge the season based on one game. The regular season is far more important and I do hope/expect to make the Tournament. Anything after that is a bonus.

Last edited:

Right our roster is like a super nice closet with super nice clothes, the question is, do they all fit? Do they all look good once you have them on? We’ll see, but I’m pretty confident Pitino can put everything together properly and do any tailoring that needs to be done.

This should be the final update for today, with more likely tomorrow:

AP/notable online voters:
Stadium: #24 (Goodman) - pre-Wilcher
SI.com: #24 (Sweeney) - pre-Wilcher
FanDuel: #25 (Rothstein) - post-Wilcher
CBS: #26 (Parrish) - post-Wilcher - not Top 25 but still good exposure

Absolutely wild that we have a legit chance at being ranked preseason, especially since these are some of the most visible ballots and thus could influence other news outlets. Goodman was very smart to put St. John's in his Top 25 right after Pitino was hired. Even if we're RV around #30, beating Michigan should be enough to get us into the rankings that second week. Already excited for that game.

Last edited:
One game means nothing. How often have we seen teams such as UConn, UVA or Nova upset in the first round and then the following year win the whole thing? Just off the top of my head that has happened with at least 3 of the last 7 National Champions. I'm not going to judge the season based on one game. The regular season is far more important and I do hope/expect to make the Tournament. Anything after that is a bonus.
Yes, the mid majors with a bunch of deadly shooters, but I think SJU has the shooters to counter that.

I believe we can go atleast 12-8 in conf,
In out of conference I think we'll split Michigan and WVU, mich because it's only the 3rd game or at the hostile environment WVU.
I could see losing to Houston also. 9-2 in oof.

I'll take 21-11

We going to the sweet 16. We got a HOF coach and a ton of talent on paper that he knows what to do to make it win.

It's a new day and if you don't know you better axe somebody

Let’s win some games before we book reservations for the final four.
Great coach, good schedule, fan interest high.
Season is long and we could be susceptible to injury in key positions. (Knock wood.)

We haven’t made the Tournament yet and guys on this website are talking about seeding!
Let’s give it a rest and see how this season pans out! I am just as optimistic as most of you but this is one tough league!

Back