2023-24 Rankings

My main issue with the First Four is in 2019 it kind of felt like we didn't make the Tournament. I remember filling out my bracket after we lost, and St. John's wasn't listed. Not even our name crossed out, just totally absent with Arizona St listed as the 11 seed.

My favorite part of March Madness has always been filling out a bracket, so if we do to go to the First Four then I think we'd need to win that for it to be a successful season. That's at least my opinion based on my preseason expectations and given that most of the starters are graduating after this year. It'd be arguably our best season since 2015, but still a bit disappointing.
I look at it differently now. #1 when will the next time I ever get to visit vacation hot spot Dayton again

#2 if we were in the actual brackets for pools I’d be picking St Johns to win it all in every pool i was in

Most brackets list it as winner of that game versus whomever. Just fill it out Tuesday and you will be happy no matter what.

I do the CBS bracket which I think lists both teams on the #11 line (St. John's/Arizona St), but then it changes after the First Four to just the winner. I prefer filling out Wednesday night / Thursday morning (always how I've done it since a kid), and since edits are allowed until 12 PM Thursday it'd be impossible to have St. John's actually winning games in the Tournament at that point even if filled out earlier (assuming a loss- it'd just show the other team). If brackets added First Four games then that'd change things.

Not saying it's a big deal, I'd still be hyped just making the First Four at this point, but would deflate my excitement a lot if we lose and we're not in it when the brackets officially go live. Seton Hall is very similar to a First Four opponent but we'll have a (slight) home court advantage, so that's why I'm placing a lot of emphasis on winning that and hopefully avoiding Dayton (plus not sweating out Selection Sunday).

I think for year 1, the play in is fine.

We will never be having this conversation again with pitino as our coach again.

If we lose the play-in then I wouldn't consider the season to be a failure but also not a success- which is the same position I've had since preseason. I think "fine" is a good way of putting it. In 2019 for instance I viewed it as more of a failure given it was Mullin's 4th year. We're very fortunate to still be playing for so much given where we were two weeks ago, and even worst case if we don't make the First Four then I'll still be really excited for the off-season and next year (not really the NIT though lol).

I do the CBS bracket which I think lists both teams on the #11 line (St. John's/Arizona St), but then it changes after the First Four to just the winner. I prefer filling out Wednesday night / Thursday morning (always how I've done it since a kid), and since edits are allowed until 12 PM Thursday it'd be impossible to have St. John's actually winning games in the Tournament at that point even if filled out earlier (assuming a loss- it'd just show the other team). If brackets added First Four games then that'd change things.

Not saying it's a big deal, I'd still be hyped just making the First Four at this point, but would deflate my excitement a lot if we lose and we're not in it when the brackets officially go live. Seton Hall is very similar to a First Four opponent but we'll have a (slight) home court advantage, so that's why I'm placing a lot of emphasis on winning that and hopefully avoiding Dayton (plus not sweating out Selection Sunday).
No, I get it on the bracket and just kidding.

I also think a lot of the shade thrown at out last FF in appearance was due to it being the end of the Mullin era. The team backed in, most of what they accomplished came early, that team had to play DePaul on Wednesday night, and then didn't even compete on Thursday. Once they also lost in Dayton it was very hard to feel that they even deserved the bid. Soon after Mullin was gone.

I think this would feel different. We might get to find out. Rather have the bye, of course, I'm pro bye at all times.

No, I get it on the bracket and just kidding.

I also think a lot of the shade thrown at out last FF in appearance was due to it being the end of the Mullin era. The team backed in, most of what they accomplished came early, that team had to play DePaul on Wednesday night, and then didn't even compete on Thursday. Once they also lost in Dayton it was very hard to feel that they even deserved the bid. Soon after Mullin was gone.

I think this would feel different. We might get to find out. Rather have the bye, of course, I'm pro bye at all times.
Only way I'm being optimistic about a play-in game is if its in the south region. The winner plays at Barclays.

I do the CBS bracket which I think lists both teams on the #11 line (St. John's/Arizona St), but then it changes after the First Four to just the winner. I prefer filling out Wednesday night / Thursday morning (always how I've done it since a kid),

I've always tended to fill my bracket out on sunday night and then on monday afternoon and then tuesday morning and then wednesday afternoon and then thursday morning.

AP Top 25 3/11/24:
#2 UConn (-)
#8 Creighton (+2)
#10 Marquette (-2)

This has to be the most exciting Big East Tournament in many years. 3 top 10 teams competing for #1/#2 NCAA seeds, and 4 teams on the bubble.

Johnnies are in 103/108 brackets (95%) on Bracket Matrix and the third team IN, though BM hasn't updated yet to include yesterday's results / this morning's bracket updates. The main concern from yesterday would be Indiana St (potentially the first bid thief), but most brackets that have updated this morning have them a few spots behind us.

Personally I don't think they'd steal a bid from us even with a loss to Hall, and almost certainly wouldn't steal a Bye from us if we beat Hall. I think if the Committee ends up comparing our resumes they'd choose the team with more than one Quad 1 win and at least one win over At-Large teams. They've shown in recent years they value big wins and Indiana St lacks any.

Also, only 3 Quad 1 wins should be the worst case scenario for us (I don't see Butler dropping 9+ NET spots in the BET) and we have potential to add two based on our current resume. Further, if Richmond/South Florida lose their conference tournaments those are two spots that would open up and we'd currently have a Bye on Bracket Matrix. Some reason for optimism, but definitely need to beat Hall to avoiding sweating out Selection Sunday (plus earning a Bye).

We're still last team in according to Lunardi. I think that shows we dropped a couple places from yesterday.

This is a great primer for bubble watching:

WIN AND IN:
•TCU vs. Oklahoma (both), Big 12 opening round, Wednesday, 3 p.m.
•Mississippi St. (vs. LSU), SEC, Thursday, 1 p.m.
•Virginia (vs. Clemson/Boston College/Miami), ACC, Thursday, 9:30 p.m.
OUT WITHOUT THIS WIN:
•Wake Forest (vs. Notre Dame/Georgia Tech), ACC, Wednesday, 2:30 p.m.
•New Mexico (vs. Air Force), Mountain West, Wednesday, 7:00 p.m.
•Villanova (vs. DePaul), Big East, Wednesday, 9 p.m.
•Utah (vs. Arizona St.), Pac-12, Wednesday, 11:30 p.m.
•St. John's (vs. Seton Hall), Big East, Thursday, 2:30 p.m.
•Pittsburgh (vs. Wake Forest/Georgia Tech), ACC, Thursday, 2:30 p.m.
•Memphis (vs. Rice/Wichita St.), AAC, Thursday, 2:30 p.m.
•Texas A&M (vs. Ole Miss), SEC, Thursday, 7 p.m.
•Iowa (vs. Ohio State), Big Ten, Thursday, 6:30 p.m.
•Colorado (vs. Utah/Arizona St.), Pac-12, Thursday, 11:30 p.m.
•South Florida (vs. East Carolina/Tulsa), AAC, Friday, 3 p.m.
WIN HERE, THEN WIN AGAIN:
•Virginia Tech (vs. Florida St.), ACC, Wednesday, noon
•Providence (vs. Georgetown), Big East, Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
•Syracuse (vs. N.C. State/Louisville), ACC, Wednesday, 7 p.m.
•Kansas State (vs. Texas), Big 12, Wednesday, 7 p.m.
•Ohio State (vs. Iowa), Big Ten, Thursday, 6:30 p.m.
•Oregon (vs. UCLA/Oregon St.), Pac-12, Thursday, 5:30 p.m.
•UNLV (vs. San Diego St.), Mountain West, Thursday, 5:30 p.m.

We're still last team in according to Lunardi. I think that shows we dropped a couple places from yesterday.

This is a great primer for bubble watching:

WIN AND IN:
•TCU vs. Oklahoma (both), Big 12 opening round, Wednesday, 3 p.m.
•Mississippi St. (vs. LSU), SEC, Thursday, 1 p.m.
•Virginia (vs. Clemson/Boston College/Miami), ACC, Thursday, 9:30 p.m.
OUT WITHOUT THIS WIN:
•Wake Forest (vs. Notre Dame/Georgia Tech), ACC, Wednesday, 2:30 p.m.
•New Mexico (vs. Air Force), Mountain West, Wednesday, 7:00 p.m.
•Villanova (vs. DePaul), Big East, Wednesday, 9 p.m.
•Utah (vs. Arizona St.), Pac-12, Wednesday, 11:30 p.m.
•St. John's (vs. Seton Hall), Big East, Thursday, 2:30 p.m.
•Pittsburgh (vs. Wake Forest/Georgia Tech), ACC, Thursday, 2:30 p.m.
•Memphis (vs. Rice/Wichita St.), AAC, Thursday, 2:30 p.m.
•Texas A&M (vs. Ole Miss), SEC, Thursday, 7 p.m.
•Iowa (vs. Ohio State), Big Ten, Thursday, 6:30 p.m.
•Colorado (vs. Utah/Arizona St.), Pac-12, Thursday, 11:30 p.m.
•South Florida (vs. East Carolina/Tulsa), AAC, Friday, 3 p.m.
WIN HERE, THEN WIN AGAIN:
•Virginia Tech (vs. Florida St.), ACC, Wednesday, noon
•Providence (vs. Georgetown), Big East, Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
•Syracuse (vs. N.C. State/Louisville), ACC, Wednesday, 7 p.m.
•Kansas State (vs. Texas), Big 12, Wednesday, 7 p.m.
•Ohio State (vs. Iowa), Big Ten, Thursday, 6:30 p.m.
•Oregon (vs. UCLA/Oregon St.), Pac-12, Thursday, 5:30 p.m.
•UNLV (vs. San Diego St.), Mountain West, Thursday, 5:30 p.m.

FWIW Lunardi is more pessimistic regarding St. John's and more optimistic regarding Indiana St than most other brackets that have updated this morning. I really doubt Indiana St would be ahead of us now.

FWIW Lunardi is more pessimistic regarding St. John's and more optimistic regarding Indiana St than most other brackets that have updated this morning. I really doubt Indiana St would be ahead of us now.
Yeah he's a pretty average guy in terms of the predictiveness historically, but I think it's healthier to look at a pessimistic guy & set expectations from that level. If a committee person shared his perspective, I find it hard to vehemently disagree.

Indiana State PLAYED five Quad 1 games (they went 1-4).
St. John's WON three (for now) Quad 1 games.

Not a question in my mind we're ahead of them.

Yeah he's a pretty average guy in terms of the predictiveness historically, but I think it's healthier to look at a pessimistic guy & set expectations from that level. If a committee person shared his perspective, I find it hard to vehemently disagree.

Fair point, head to head I just can't see them picking a team with zero big / at-large wins (and only 1 Quad 1 win) ahead of us. I think when Bracket Matrix updates we'll be ahead of them and Lunardi's bracket will be an outlier. Hopefully he's wrong since he's usually been pessimistic regarding our resume this year vs. the general consensus.

Fair point, head to head I just can't see them picking a team with zero big / at-large wins (and only 1 Quad 1 win) ahead of us. I think when Bracket Matrix updates we'll be ahead of them and Lunardi's bracket will be an outlier. Hopefully he's wrong since he's usually been pessimistic regarding our resume this year vs. the general consensus.
If the guy wasn't Cream Abdul Jabbar with the goggles, I don't think anyone would care about them getting in. I think them being in the conversation shows how they need to change the metrics (once again). They didn't even do it from an eye-test perspective either. So I would personally agree. Hopefully others too

If the guy wasn't Cream Abdul Jabbar with the goggles, I don't think anyone would care about them getting in. I think them being in the conversation shows how they need to change the metrics (once again). They didn't even do it from an eye-test perspective either. So I would personally agree. Hopefully others too

Yep, if Indiana St gets in ahead of us because they beat #59 Bradley on the road (their only Quad 1 win) in December and beat a bunch of bad teams (while also losing to some), then something is seriously wrong. Lunardi is a mediocre bracketologist for a reason.

Back