2023-24 Rankings

All to play for Wed. There’s 2 scenarios if they win @ Butler.

2-0 finish but finish 6th. Need to win 2 BE tourney games since 1st rd win will do nothing to improve resume.

2-0 finish finishing 5th. Need to win 1 BE tourney game in quarterfinals against SH or Creighton.

All to play for Wed. There’s 2 scenarios if they win @ Butler.

2-0 finish but finish 6th. Need to win 2 BE tourney games since 1st rd win will do nothing to improve resume.

2-0 finish finishing 5th. Need to win 1 BE tourney game in quarterfinals against SH or Creighton.
I actually think adding another win to the win column will help especially if it’s by enough points. Of course this is based on winning Wednesday but I think getting the 6th seed is the best case scenario.

I actually think adding another win to the win column will help especially if it’s by enough points. Of course this is based on winning Wednesday but I think getting the 6th seed is the best case scenario.
5th to me is a much better scenario. You’re 1 win away from a semifinal (when was the last time we could say that).

You’re also playing a team on equal rest as opposed to winning on Wednesday against a crap DePaul team and then playing MQ or Creighton on a back to back. We’ve seen how that goes all too often on Thursdays in March at MSG!

5th to me is a much better scenario. You’re 1 win away from a semifinal (when was the last time we could say that).

You’re also playing a team on equal rest as opposed to winning on Wednesday against a crap DePaul team and then playing MQ or Creighton on a back to back. We’ve seen how that goes all too often on Thursdays in March at MSG!
Yes we have. I still have nightmares about sitting through that horrible quarterfinal beating Mullins last team took from Marquette the night after we beat DePaul.

I hear ya. And agree if we didn’t need to stack as many wins as possible. I just think an extra win just looks better for us even though it would be DePaul. And then win that next one lol.

AP Poll has rendered itself useless. Take a look through the weeks. They had Texas ranked halfway through Big 12 play and Washington has 4 votes this week!
South Florida is ranked this week and their NET is 85. AP poll is beyond irrelevant to resume wins. I think if we beat Butler we will do enough to get in, if not regular season is over and need to win BET.

5th seed in the Big East Tournament seems like a bit of a pipe dream. We would need Providence to lose 3 of 4. They have UConn and Marquette left, but also Georgetown and Villanova at home.

Yes we have. I still have nightmares about sitting through that horrible quarterfinal beating Mullins last team took from Marquette the night after we beat DePaul.
That was awful, and was the third in a row of three destructions on Thursday under Mullin. I believe Villanova beat us by 40 in one of them, Xavier blew them out in the other.

Well at least one bracket thinks we're a Tournament team as of now:

3rd to last team in, so would be the First Four. I don't agree with the bracket, but we'll be seeing many more of these if we beat Butler.
be careful with this one. After a quick glance, it appears to be model or analytics driven and not manually compiled. We already know that we are an analytics darling this year. My best read is that we are likely in the "next four out" and would move to the " first four out" if we were to win tomorrow.

be careful with this one. After a quick glance, it appears to be model or analytics driven and not manually compiled. We already know that we are an analytics darling this year. My best read is that we are likely in the "next four out" and would move to the " first four out" if we were to win tomorrow.

Yep I agree, as mentioned I don't think it's accurate. That website has not been as accurate hiatorically as the average bracket projection. Still nice to see though at this point, especially since some other brackets have us as First Four Out.

As for what the general consensus would be with a Butler win, I think it'd depend on what the final score is. If we win by a nice margin and have another solid NET jump then I think we'd be on the right side of the bubble. We'll see, though I'd take any W tomorrow regardless of margin.

I think there could be a number of BE teams with 11 conference wins. That may not be good for an at-large tournament bid because 3 or 4 teams with the same conference record might "cannibalize" each other to where the committee only accepts 4 teams from the conference. We shall see as there is still much more basketball to play. The good news is we are not out of contention.

Georgetown and DePaul being historically bad makes the raw win total not as impressive as it would in a normal year. I think the advanced metrics show this.

Back