2023-24 Rankings

Massive Quad 1 W vs. Creighton, and by 14 points so will be a nice NET update tomorrow. Creighton is ranked #10 in NET so this is guaranteed to remain a Q1 win.

KenPom just improved 5 spots from #44 to #39.

Beat #63 Butler on Wednesday and things would get very interesting since that'd be another Quad 1 win.

Massive Quad 1 W vs. Creighton, and by 14 points so will be a nice NET update tomorrow. Creighton is ranked #10 in NET so this is guaranteed to remain a Q1 win.

KenPom just improved 5 spots from #44 to #39.

Beat #63 Butler on Wednesday and things would get very interesting since that'd be another Quad 1 win.
Say we win out and beat DePaul on Wednesday at BET, you think that would be enough or would we definitely need that Quarterfinal win and maybe even semifinal win?

Just spitballin

Say we win out and beat DePaul on Wednesday at BET, you think that would be enough or would we definitely need that Quarterfinal win and maybe even semifinal win?

Just spitballin
I'll go through those mental gymnastics after we beat Butler, Gtown and Depaul, getting to 11-9 in the league.

Just spitballin
Don't think there is any way we win out, make it to BE semifinal and don't get in. Question to me is what happens if we win out, finish in sole possession of 5th place and then lose 5-4 game on Thursday afternoon. Seems unlikely to me that they only take 4 teams from Big East.

Just spitballin

Tough to say definitively, but I think there are two paths that would get us in:

3-0 / 1-1 BET
2-1 / 3-1 BET (L to Butler / L in finals)

The former scenario would get us to 20-13 and the latter to 21-14. Better winning percentage for the former and that also includes a Q1 win, which shows that beating Butler is really critical. Would also be really helpful if at least half of Utah, Providence, Butler, and Villanova make the field, but regardless St. John's is in control.

Who do we have a better chance of beating, the No. 1 or No. 2 seed? That's the side of the bracket I imagine we'd want to be on. Hopefully it means us winning out and other teams losing. I'll assume there are still moving parts and that handy bracket is still unsettled.

Great Convo that this is exactly what 114 and friends were talking about and we don't have concensus. Today in my mind helped us win out and win the first game of BET and we are in I THINK. But the rest of our crew and friends today made great point about needing 2 or playing Thursday and winning 1. This bodes well for stout and MSG Alcohol sales

NET also increased 5 spots, from #49 to #44.

Quad 1: 2-9
Quad 2: 6-2
Quad 3: 3-1
Quad 4: 5-0

Would be really helpful if:
#38 Villanova moves up to #30: Quad 2 -> Quad 1
#54 Utah moves up to #50: Quad 2 -> Quad 1

The 2 Quad 1 wins we have will definitely remain Q1 (Vs. #11 Creighton & @ #38 Villanova), so we're guaranteed to finish with at least 2 Quad 1 wins. Get a third Q1 win @ Butler, and hope either Nova/Utah move up and suddenly the worst part of our resume is no longer a negative, especially for a bubble team.

At this point I want to win out and hope that Providence falters and we finish fifth or at worst sixth. At this point obviously UCONN, Marquette and Creighton are locks and Seton Hall is almost a definite as well. I am pretty sure a fifth Big East team gets in. Maybe we need to win a game likely to be against Seton Hall or Creighton. We can.

Last edited:
I don't think the Committee will select X number of teams per conference unfortunately. The ACC for instance has whined a lot in recent years about only getting a small number of teams in, in addition to ACC teams being the first left out. Wouldn't count on being the 5th BE team, multiple years we've only had 4 BE teams dance. I'd just root for BE bubble teams we've beat, and Utah.

The teams picked per conference will not be based on conference results but overall results. I rather just somehow get to fifth and not have to watch SJU play on a Wednesday night at MSG. Which will be tough, and means we win out, so certainly can’t hurt anything.

At this point in the season the only thing StJ’s needs to do is just win out the regular season, win as many games in the Big East Tournament as possible, and hope.

Odds on this site to make the tournament doubled from 20% to 43% over night. They give us a 5% chance of winning the BET, so we should interpret it as a 38% chance of getting an out-large bid.

These odds %s make a lot of sense to me:

Odds To Make NCAA Tournament By Win Total​

Total WinsNCAA Bid%
23100.0%
2296.1%
2178.0%
2055.6%
1923.5%
182.6%
OVERALL43.1%

At 16 wins currently, it's clear we will have to win at least one game in the BET. I don't know how much a win over DePaul or Georgetown actually help. I think we'll have to beat a Seton Hall/Providence.

I don't think the Committee will select X number of teams per conference unfortunately. The ACC for instance has whined a lot in recent years about only getting a small number of teams in, in addition to ACC teams being the first left out. Wouldn't count on being the 5th BE team, multiple years we've only had 4 BE teams dance. I'd just root for BE bubble teams we've beat, and Utah.
The BE will get at least 6 teams in IMO, hopefully we will be one of them.

Need to win at Butler. IMHO, If we win out we will just need to make Friday night in BET. Lose one of the next three and we are looking at having to make the BET final and winning 3 games in 3 days is a very tall order.

Odds on this site to make the tournament doubled from 20% to 43% over night. They give us a 5% chance of winning the BET, so we should interpret it as a 38% chance of getting an out-large bid.

These odds %s make a lot of sense to me:

Odds To Make NCAA Tournament By Win Total​

Total WinsNCAA Bid%
23100.0%
2296.1%
2178.0%
2055.6%
1923.5%
182.6%
OVERALL43.1%

At 16 wins currently, it's clear we will have to win at least one game in the BET. I don't know how much a win over DePaul or Georgetown actually help. I think we'll have to beat a Seton Hall/Providence.
I guess this chart includes ALL conferences, If it included just P5 conferences, or was the BE, I'd guess the percentages would be higher.

One thing to keep in mind on any current brackets is they are best case scenerio, which almost never happens. All of them include no conference bracket busters. A good assumption is that any team currently shown as last four in is going to be out.

One thing to keep in mind on any current brackets is they are best case scenerio, which almost never happens. All of them include no conference bracket busters. A good assumption is that any team currently shown as last four in is going to be out.
Will definitely a bid stealer or two but 4 is probably a bit excessive. Also, in a weird situation current bracketologies may actually be short-changing the bubble by one spot. USF is currently in the field as the AAC autobid with FAU as an at large but if FAU wins the AAC tourney then the bubble will grow by a spot as USF will get pushed out of the field.

Back