2023-24 Rankings

The one thing we had going for us was ‘strength of schedule’ which the NET considers an important metric. The thing is everyone in the big east has a tough schedule. Our SoS was artificially high becuase we were front loaded. The DePaul and GTown games can only hurt us.

The path to the tournament was somehow get a solo 5th in the big east. It would take some Scott Steiner math to get us there now.

New path to the NCAA win the BET. I mean strange things can happen in sports so there’s a non zero chance of it happening, but I wouldn’t bet your mortgage payment on it.
What if I bet Monte's mortgage payment on it tho

Teams we've beaten to root for this weekend:
11 seed Butler (1X)- @ Seton Hall
-----
1st out Providence (1X)- off
2nd out Utah (1X)- @ Colorado
5th out Villanova (2X)- @ #1 UConn

Still opportunities for the Johnnies vs. 4 seed Creighton and @ 11 seed Butler.

Obviously have to finish strong for any of the above to matter, but it's pretty crazy how we've beaten the same number of Tournament teams today as we had back in mid-November (when Utah was projected in). There's even a possibility we go 3-1 (L to Creighton) but zero teams are projected in, since beating Butler ironically could knock them out. Doubt that happens, but point being even with a strong finish we'd still need some of these teams to play better if we want a shot at the Tournament.

-----

Still opportunities for the Johnnies vs. 4 seed Creighton and @ 11 seed Butler.

Obviously have to finish strong for any of the above to matter, but it's pretty crazy how we've beaten the same number of Tournament teams today as we had back in mid-November (when Utah was projected in). There's even a possibility we go 3-1 (L to Creighton) but zero teams are projected in (beating Butler ironically could knock them out). Doubt that happens, but point being even with a strong finish we'll need some of these teams to play better if we want a shot at the Tournament.
I know we shouldn't be rooting for Seton Hall, but my insane brain has been thinking about the BET the last few days, and my master plan is as follows:

We finish well enough to get 6 seed, Seton Hall finishes well enough to finish 3 seed.

#6 SJU beats #11 DePaul handily on Wednesday
#6 SJU beats #3 Seton Hall on Thursday like we should have done last time we met
#6 SJU beats #7 Providence in closely contested rubber match after PC shocks Marquette the night before
#6 SJU beats #1 UConn after Danny Hurley strangles a referee and the Huskies are forced to forfeit

And there you have it, your 2023-24 St. John's Red Storm are Big East Tournament champs and are going dancing!!!

My boss shaking me awake as I daydream at my desk 😂

Good Morning Hello GIF by CBBC

I know we shouldn't be rooting for Seton Hall, but my insane brain has been thinking about the BET the last few days, and my master plan is as follows:

We finish well enough to get 6 seed, Seton Hall finishes well enough to finish 3 seed.

#6 SJU beats #11 DePaul handily on Wednesday
#6 SJU beats #3 Seton Hall on Thursday like we should have done last time we met
#6 SJU beats #7 Providence in closely contested rubber match after PC shocks Marquette the night before
#6 SJU beats #1 UConn after Danny Hurley strangles a referee and the Huskies are forced to forfeit

And there you have it, your 2023-24 St. John's Red Storm are Big East Tournament champs and are going dancing!!!

My boss shaking me awake as I daydream at my desk 😂

Good Morning Hello GIF by CBBC

IMG_1598.jpeg

If we win out in 4 remaining regular season games, we have an outside shot of finishing in sole possession of 5th place in Big East. If that happens and we get to Friday night in BET, have to thing Pitino factor gets us a bid. Would love to see my theory tested lol.

If we win out in 4 remaining regular season games, we have an outside shot of finishing in sole possession of 5th place in Big East. If that happens and we get to Friday night in BET, have to thing Pitino factor gets us a bid. Would love to see my theory tested lol.
1708723950494.png

In order for us to even have a chance of those 2 things happening, this team would have to do a complete about face and, in all their remaining games, decide to:
A) play disciplined basketball for 40 minutes
B) play hard nosed basketball for 40 minutes

Not completely out of the realm of possibility, but certainly a long shot.

I kind of think it would be better to be the 6th seed. Get the extra game to play in the resume even if DePaul and assuming a win. A large margin win. An extra win looks better on paper than one less game in my opinion playing first game on Thursday. I don’t think we get to 5th seed anyway if we win out. Too many things need to happen.

In order for us to even have a chance of those 2 things happening, this team would have to do a complete about face and, in all their remaining games, decide to:

Do not disagree at least with respect to 2 of those last 4 games and BET quarterfinal.

Do not disagree at least with respect to 2 of those last 4 games and BET quarterfinal.
I don't think we can afford to do it in some games but not others. It needs to be a total commitment or, as we used to say growing up in Bushwick "minchia, fugggedaboutit"

I don't think we can afford to do it in some games but not others. It needs to be a total commitment or, as we used to say growing up in Bushwick "minchia, fugggedaboutit"
Hear you Monte, although we know most teams don't quite get there every game. Regarding Brooklyn, I'm a Queens guy and just can't believe how Brooklyn has become the place to be. My daughter just bought a place in Fort Greene that I could buy a lakefront mansion on Lake Norman here and still have money left over for a house in the mountains. Just crazy imho!

Hear you Monte, although we know most teams don't quite get there every game. Regarding Brooklyn, I'm a Queens guy and just can't believe how Brooklyn has become the place to be. My daughter just bought a place in Fort Greene that I could buy a lakefront mansion on Lake Norman here and still have money left over for a house in the mountains. Just crazy imho!
Per Sq foot, real estate in some parts of Brooklyn is more expensive than Manhattan

I went to elementary school right by Fort Greene. Clinton Hill to be exact. Always beautiful architecture, but in the 60s, 70s and 80s, a rough neighborhood for sure. It's changed a lot since the late 90s.

I was in the industrial part of Bushwick yesterday looking at potential venues for my screening, and I stumbled upon a private club, in an old warehouse, that could rival any private club in the Manhattan. I was absolutely blown away, but with all that's gone in Bushwick over the past 20 years, I shouldn't be.

Agreed Monte, although we could argue that we already do both of these things well for at least 20 minutes in almost every game. To your point, can we do it for the other 20.

And let’s be honest, it’s really about us stepping up to the challenge tomorrow and at Butler (the other two better be wins)…both doable, but it’s been all talk this year so far and not enough execution.

Many of us are going tomorrow because we figure the law of averages says that any team good enough to get a big lead against many good teams, is also good enough to hold that lead at the end at some point. We’ll see. So tired of being the best team at finding new ways to lose.

-----

Unfortunately the 3 teams in action this weekend lost. Possible that as of now the Johnnies haven't beaten a projected Tournament team. We've been saying this a lot recently, but tomorrow is really a must win.

Back