2023-24 Rankings

Need to win at Butler. IMHO, If we win out we will just need to make Friday night in BET. Lose one of the next three and we are looking at having to make the BET final and winning 3 games in 3 days is a very tall order.
I have now moved camps to the win-out and make it to Friday night camp - If we wanna Dance.

I am not going to pretend to understand how how NET/RPI/KenPom ranking fluctuations work... what i do understand... is that we don't have many victories over "Tournament Teams"...

Great win yesterday... wish i could have been there... but I think that win is our lone "Signature" win... right? Utah has tanked... Nova isn't anything special... Butler/Prov are both on the Bubble.... we have exactly 1 win against a team thats lock for the Tourney...

Hopefully something has "clicked" and they guys continue to play well Wednesday night and finish the season strong- but it's BET Friday night or bust if we wanna Dance.

Who do we have a better chance of beating, the No. 1 or No. 2 seed? That's the side of the bracket I imagine we'd want to be on. Hopefully it means us winning out and other teams losing. I'll assume there are still moving parts and that handy bracket is still unsettled.
Depends. If we finish as the 6th seed, playing No.2 would mean competing in our third game in 3 nights. As opposed to finishing 5th and getting a bye and playing No.1 UConn having just played one game in the quarterfinals. I still rather finish 6th, play an extra game and face Marquette in the semis.

I think If you can play De Paul in game one going into game two SJU would have a slight advantage over its opponent having an easy win in their pocket and having experienced any game one jitters. Game three in three nights is an obvious disadvantage but SJU, playing nine normally, and with it’s ten and eleven men not walk ons but players who have contributed this year could handle the three games in three days better than probably any other big east team.

AP poll 2/26/24:
#3 UConn (-2)
#5 Marquette (+2)
#12 Creighton (+3)

Funny seeing Creighton jump 3 spots despite losing to us (obviously due to beating UConn, but still shows they have respect for the Johnnies). Hopefully we'll play another ranked team in the BET, as those 3 teams would be our remaining Q1 opportunities outside of @ Butler. If not though I still see several paths to a bid.

It's debatable exactly how many wins we'll need, and frankly nobody knows yet because some of that depends on whether teams like Nova, Utah, Butler and PC can step up and make those wins a lot more significant for St. John's. Also depends on whether we squeak by teams or blow them out. Depends on how other bubble teams do, etc.

One thing I will say for certain though, if St. John's wins @ Butler on Wednesday we will return to some brackets. A lot now have us in the "Next 4 Out" or better "First 4 Out", so adding a Q1 win (and improving in NET) would put us back on the right side of the bubble for some. Whether those brackets would be correct we all have opinions about, but just being in some would be huge heading into March.

I think if we beat Butler, we'll be in the "First Four Out" or in the play-in games, which is fair.

We will have to beat the spread against DePaul and Georgetown + Villanova & Utah win games to move up at all after that.

At end of day, we probably need to have at least one meaningful win in the BET to sit comfortably on Selection Sunday.

The fact that Seton Hall is on the bubble in a ton of brackets is deflating.

If they are "Last four in" with an 11-5 Big east record, I am not sure that us getting to 11-9 in BE play is even gonna get us close to moving the needle in the right direction.

If they are "Last four in" with an 11-5 Big east record, I am not sure that us getting to 11-9 in BE play is even gonna get us close to moving the needle in the right direction.
Pitino is great for TV ratings and the most recent soap opera only enhances that. We'll get in with 11-9.

Pitino is great for TV ratings and the most recent soap opera only enhances that. We'll get in with 11-9.
I want to believe that because I believe before the season I promised everyone 11 wins would be enough. But the way the bubble looks rn, and with who our last two games are against, I dont think 11-9 gets it done

because they have a weaker strength of schedule. Their BPI rank is like double ours, so going 11-9 for us can get us in even if 11-5 for hall doesn't.

because they have a weaker strength of schedule. Their BPI rank is like double ours, so going 11-9 for us can get us in even if 11-5 for hall doesn't.
Even if their schedule is weaker they do have that UConn win and Marquette win which I thought would put them in a good spot. They also have won @PC, @Butler, @SJU... road wins against teams in their range in the conference.

Lets just say if you switched the resumes and WE had seton halls body of work right now, I would be absolutely livid that my team is being considered as on the bubble

Even if their schedule is weaker they do have that UConn win and Marquette win which I thought would put them in a good spot. They also have won @PC, @Butler, @SJU... road wins against teams in their range in the conference.

Lets just say if you switched the resumes and WE had seton halls body of work right now, I would be absolutely livid that my team is being considered as on the bubble
It's because their OOC was abysmal. Strength of schedule sucked, and they lost to every high major they played (none of whom are good) except Missouri who is 0-14 in the SEC. That they've played really well in conference with some excellent W's over Uconn and Marquette is why they are even in the discussion right now. No one had more work to do in conference than they did.

It's because their OOC was abysmal. Strength of schedule sucked, and they lost to every high major they played (none of whom are good) except Missouri who is 0-14 in the SEC. That they've played really well in conference with some excellent W's over Uconn and Marquette is why they are even in the discussion right now. No one had more work to do in conference than they did.
USC and Rutgers are pretty weak losses. But even still. If they go 13-7 in BE play is there really world where they are left out? Would be wild to me

Hard to underline further how horrible that Seton Hall at UBS loss was. I'd feel more comfortable about our chances of getting into the tournament if we beat them once in the BET so its not a sweep. I don't care if it means we play UCONN next.

Seton Halls NET is only 61 though I believe. We need to win out and win two in the Big East Tournament

Back