2023-24 Rankings

Los Angeles is the site for the West Regionals, not for an opening round 8/9 game.

Thankfully. I am away weekend 1 of the tourney. Assumed Foxx already had the Redmen through the first weekend.

Quads are set as of selection Sunday, so I’ve been tracking some of our opponents to see how things might move before then. A few are close to changing quads—this basically validates what we can see with our own eyes, which is the BC and Michigan losses hurt, and WV may be a good win.

OOC
Michigan - Net of 100, currently a Quad 3 loss. This is our worst loss obviously. They would need to get to 75 for this to be a quad 2 loss. Don’t think that’ll happen Even still, if our worst loss is to a team in the top 100, it’s not terrible.

WV — NET of 150, currently a Quad 3 win. They’re trending up. If they get to 135, which is very doable, then this would be a Quad 2 victory.

Utah — NET of 37, currently a Quad 1 win. This had been our best win, but Utah is trending down. If they fall out of the top 50, this is no longer Quad 1.

North Texas — NET of 71, currently a Quad 2 win. This is probably locked into Quad 2, they’d need to get to 50 for this to be quad 1.

BC — NET of 90, currently a Quad 2 loss. This is one to watch. If they fall to 101, this becomes a quad 3 loss.

BE
Xavier — 40 (if they get to 30, the home win is quad 1)

Nova — 43 (the win at nova is solid quad 1, need to get to 30 for home win to be quad 1)

Providence — 53 (home win is solid quad 2; away game solid quad 1)

Butler — 54 (same as PC)

Seton hall — 75 (if they drop to 76, then the loss becomes quad 2)

UConn, marq, creigthon — all games quad 1, solid

Georgetown/depaul — don’t lose these

Quads are set as of selection Sunday, so I’ve been tracking some of our opponents to see how things might move before then. A few are close to changing quads—this basically validates what we can see with our own eyes, which is the BC and Michigan losses hurt, and WV may be a good win.

OOC
Michigan - Net of 100, currently a Quad 3 loss. This is our worst loss obviously. They would need to get to 75 for this to be a quad 2 loss. Don’t think that’ll happen Even still, if our worst loss is to a team in the top 100, it’s not terrible.

WV — NET of 150, currently a Quad 3 win. They’re trending up. If they get to 135, which is very doable, then this would be a Quad 2 victory.

Utah — NET of 37, currently a Quad 1 win. This had been our best win, but Utah is trending down. If they fall out of the top 50, this is no longer Quad 1.

North Texas — NET of 71, currently a Quad 2 win. This is probably locked into Quad 2, they’d need to get to 50 for this to be quad 1.

BC — NET of 90, currently a Quad 2 loss. This is one to watch. If they fall to 101, this becomes a quad 3 loss.

BE
Xavier — 40 (if they get to 30, the home win is quad 1)

Nova — 43 (the win at nova is solid quad 1, need to get to 30 for home win to be quad 1)

Providence — 53 (home win is solid quad 2; away game solid quad 1)

Butler — 54 (same as PC)

Seton hall — 75 (if they drop to 76, then the loss becomes quad 2)

UConn, marq, creigthon — all games quad 1, solid

Georgetown/depaul — don’t lose these
Good stuff. North Texas with a big game today at Florida Atlantic. Fau playing better recently after a few weird losses. Let’s see if north Texas can hang and pull out a win.

One of those rare conference games where I'm rooting for UConn. Still 5 minutes to go in the first half, but they're up by 30 so no doubt they'll remain #1 when we host them this week. #14 Marquette and #17 Creighton will move up some. Seton Hall was #26 but will lose nearly all of their votes.

AP poll 1/29/24:
#1 UConn (-)
#9 Marquette (+5)
#13 Creighton (+4)

Glad UConn is still #1 as we're hosting them obviously, but hopefully they won't be next week. The last time St. John's beat the #1 team at home was 1978, so this is an incredible opportunity for the program. Despite receiving 0 points this week, if the Johnnies go 2-0 then they'd be ranked next week. Would be very tough, both are Q1 games, but I'd be good with a 1-1 week (and ecstatic if the win were over UConn).

It’s nice to have strong metrics for once. Over the past decade or so St. John’s has had a better record than 13-7 at this point but I can’t remember the numbers being so favorable. It brings a new pressure though…

Oddly the 4 most important games are now the DePaul/Georgetown games in my mind. While the Xavier game is very winnable (frankly I’ll be pretty disappointed with anything but a W) if they lose we’ll be able justify it (Cintas is an extremely tough environment, Xavier better than when we saw them last, etc) Those 4 DePaul/Georgetown games are poison pills to a team’s metrics this season though & there’s really no excuse for losing any of them. Those teams are just so bad it’s scary for the rest of the league. You can argue that outside of beating UConn, no outcome would be more impactful than losing to DePaul. If they go 4-0 in those games we’ll all be breathing normally and enjoying Selection Sunday with our feet up for the first time in a very long time. Lose even one & this whole thing becomes more complicated. Keep it simple & unexciting. Show up focused & beat the stinkers while remaining tough in the 7 non-DePaul/Georgetown games.

It’s nice to have strong metrics for once. Over the past decade or so St. John’s has had a better record than 13-7 at this point but I can’t remember the numbers being so favorable. It brings a new pressure though…

Oddly the 4 most important games are now the DePaul/Georgetown games in my mind. While the Xavier game is very winnable (frankly I’ll be pretty disappointed with anything but a W) if they lose we’ll be able justify it (Cintas is an extremely tough environment, Xavier better than when we saw them last, etc) Those 4 DePaul/Georgetown games are poison pills to a team’s metrics this season though & there’s really no excuse for losing any of them. Those teams are just so bad it’s scary for the rest of the league. You can argue that outside of beating UConn, no outcome would be more impactful than losing to DePaul. If they go 4-0 in those games we’ll all be breathing normally and enjoying Selection Sunday with our feet up for the first time in a very long time. Lose even one & this whole thing becomes more complicated. Keep it simple & unexciting. Show up focused & beat the stinkers while remaining tough in the 7 non-DePaul/Georgetown games.
Agree those games are important but Georgetown is not as bad as most make them out to be. We can’t slip up.

2011 the year of Dwight Hardy's tip-toeing the line, underhanded flip

SPORTS

St. John's Upsets No. 4 Pitt 60-59​

newyork
February 19, 2011 / 4:13 PM EST / CBS New York
NEW YORK (AP) Dwight Hardy's underhanded flip with 1.2 seconds to play gave St. John's a 60-59 victory over No. 4 Pittsburgh on Saturday, the Red Storm's fifth win over a highly ranked team this season.

Hardy, who finished with 19 points, started his drive near midcourt, went past one defender on the right side of the court only to find another one there. He went to the baseline and underhanded the ball up and over the rim to give the Red Storm (17-9, 9-5 Big East) another highly ranked victim in Madison Square Garden.

St. John's beat then-No. 13 Georgetown, No. 9 Notre Dame, No. 3 Duke and No. 10 Connecticut

Back