2023-24 Rankings

Lol no worries, everyone has topics they're interested in and I have almost zero interest in topics many others like (such as high school recruiting). Actually my first post on the site in a about a week, so it's a bit longer giving my thoughts on the Xavier/UConn losses, but regardless I still enjoy the AP rankings even when we're a terrible team (like the CMA years). Would've been nice to get that ranking this year and secure a solid seed, but now just hoping we can stop this slide and make the Tournament. Hope we beat DePaul by 20+ tomorrow so here and X have something positive to talk about lol.
If one of your interested topics is attendance, I'm sure that'll be one tomorrow!

If one of your interested topics is attendance, I'm sure that'll be one tomorrow!

🤣 Oh yes that'll be a good one. I miss the days when we were 4-1 and our Providence attendance was the big topic. I'm sure people have discussed elsewhere, but I personally thought we did a great job showing up and cheering vs. UConn. I wasn't even that annoyed leaving MSG just because we had something to cheer about for the majority of the game and I enjoyed the strong fan support. Felt almost like a playoff game- even though UConn fans obviously contributed to that.

To the contrary I'm sure DePaul will be a mess (due to opponent and UBS), but regardless I doubt many will want that game played anywhere but CA next year. Hopefully enough people show up so it's at least an okay home court advantage, though. Really need to blow DePaul out.

I don't think we deserve to be in as well at this point... we have shown we can beat 1... 1 team in the Field.

19 regular season wins. thats my magic number.

Lunardi has St. John’s in First Four Out and he has Butler and Seton Hall as Last Four In. We need to beat Butler on the road and take care of SetonHall and home in addition to sweeping DePaul and Georgetown. For there to be no question we also have to beat Creighton at home in addition to the six above.

Lunardi has St. John’s in First Four Out and he has Butler and Seton Hall as Last Four In. We need to beat Butler on the road and take care of SetonHall and home in addition to sweeping DePaul and Georgetown. For there to be no question we also have to beat Creighton at home in addition to the six above.
I agree with that except I think if we beat providence on the road and lost to Creighton at home we'd be ok but that's just spitting hairs I'd rather beat Creighton at home too

Ouch that's rough, he had us as one of the Last Four Byes on Saturday night and now we're down two seed lines. Guess his Saturday night update didn't fully factor in the UConn game. Had we lost the Xavier/UConn games by just 1-4 points (like Vegas anticipated), then we'd likely still be in his bracket.

Looking quickly at ESPN's matchup predictor odds, the most likely scenarios would be we go 5-4 (18 wins) or 6-3 (19 wins). Goal at a minimum has to be 6-3, and even then we may need to win a BET game. That's all very manageable, but it does look like there's a pretty good chance we'll be sweating out Selection Sunday. Every play is going to matter over this next month, Pitino knows that and hopefully the players can match his intensity on the sidelines.

Ouch that's rough, he had us as one of the Last Four Byes on Saturday night and now we're down two seed lines. Guess his Saturday night update didn't fully factor in the UConn game. Had we lost the Xavier/UConn games by just 1-4 points (like Vegas anticipated), then we'd likely still be in his bracket.

Looking quickly at ESPN's matchup predictor odds, the most likely scenarios would be we go 5-4 (18 wins) or 6-3 (19 wins). Goal at a minimum has to be 6-3, and even then we may need to win a BET game. That's all very manageable, but it does look like there's a pretty good chance we'll be sweating out Selection Sunday. Every play is going to matter over this next month, Pitino knows that and hopefully the players can match his intensity on the sidelines.
I’ve always said we have to get to 20 wins by selection Sunday to get a bid. At least one has to be against a ranked team. The Creighton game at home is huge.

Don’t sweat it too much. Being in today means nothing. Lots of basketball to be played between now and selection Sunday.

Don’t sweat it too much. Being in today means nothing. Lots of basketball to be played between now and selection Sunday.

I agree there's plenty of basketball to be played, but let's say if Lunardi is correct and as of today we're the first team out. We'd need to move up 5 spots just to avoid the First Four. That'd be pretty easy for many teams, but the Johnnies these last couple games haven't shown me much to think we'll finish strong. At least before we were losing 50-50 games, now we're losing by double digits.

If we don't make it then we don't make it and I'd be disappointed but still excited for next year. I also do think we'll make it, but probably only like 65% confident at this point (including the undesirable First Four). Looking forward to reversing momentum starting tomorrow, really couldn't ask for a better game.

I agree there's plenty of basketball to be played, but let's say if Lunardi is correct and as of today we're the first team out. We'd need to move up 5 spots just to avoid the First Four. That'd be pretty easy for many teams, but the Johnnies these last couple games haven't shown me much to think we'll finish strong. At least before we were losing 50-50 games, now we're losing by double digits.

If we don't make it then we don't make it and I'd be disappointed but still excited for next year. I also do think we'll make it, but probably only like 65% confident at this point (including the undesirable First Four). Looking forward to reversing momentum starting tomorrow, really couldn't ask for a better game.
Disappointed but excited for next year is the St John's fans MO for the last 25 years :D!

Disappointed but excited for next year is the St John's fans MO for the last 25 years :D!
this is sadly... very true. When we hired Rick and players started flowing in- i thought "waiting till next year" was over.... BUT, BUT-

I am excited to see what he does in his first "full year" in regards to recruiting. We are in a different ball game now- and it certainly looks like we have set ourselves up to be successful- specifically with the hire of Matt in the new "GM-NIL" role we see a couple programs have.

My optimistic side, believes we have specific players already targeted and lined up before they hit the Portal. Whereas last year, it seemed we chased a ton of names as soon as they entered. This offseason, Rick and co have had ample time to study certain player's skill sets and understand whether they would fit our not.

We already have seen an improvement with our HS recruits (is Jaiden our top recruit? since... well Wilcher kinda fell to us...) - it would be safe to assume we see similar improvement in our Transfer targets.

Moved up 3 spots in KenPom after tonight's win- from #41 to #38. If you can play a horrible team like #301 DePaul at home but still have it help your metrics then that's a very nice success. Well done.
NET held steady at 43 too

8 games left after DePaul win. Now 6-6 in conf.
as said by all, MUST win all 3 vs DePaul & Georgetown.
of other 5, ANY version of going 2-3, makes us 11-9.
that is minimum- even with that, might need 1 win in BE tourn

Back