2023-24 Rankings

AP poll 1/22/24:
#1 UConn (-)
#14 Marquette (+3)
#17 Creighton (+1)
---
#26 Seton Hall (+2)

Brutal 3 game stretch brings the Johnnies down to 0 points, but as we know our NET (still solid - #41) would be MUCH worse if these heartbreakers were instead blowout losses.

That said, we do need to start winning some of these 50-50 games, otherwise we won’t be a Tournament team. Can’t rely on players to hit 3s at the end of games, obviously those typically don’t go down even when players are wide open. Rather we need to take advantage of every minute and not allow these massive runs, especially because we don’t currently have a Ponds type player who can close out games. I still think the Johnnies will be a Tournament team, but we really need to beat Nova.

As for the rest of the AP, if UConn beats Xavier on Sunday (at home- so they should), then they should remain #1 when we host them at MSG. That could be an incredible game with potential to be one of the best in Johnnies history.

I get fans are pissed, but you have to look at the big picture. Bracket Matrix hasn't updated the last few days, but I looked at half a dozen brackets and we're still easily in the field for ALL of them. We're a projected Tournament team in late January, that almost never happens with this program. We have Rick Pitino as coach, one of the greatest in college basketball history.

Excited to face Nova - a great rebound opportunity since we’ll be favored.

I don’t underrated how Memphis is still ranked and seton hall isn’t.
Record - AP is not analytical. Would like to see Utah get ranked but that is hard because the Pac 12 is week.

We now have relatively close losses to the following teams -

1. UCONN - Away
14. Marquette - Home
16 Dayton - Neutral
17. Creighton - Away

All of our transfers out have been revelations for their new teams. Begs the question, how much did Anderson and Curbelo hurt that group?
Stanly might be a kid Pitino tries to recruit back here.
I knew we had sweet 16 potential last year!!

One hour before the Nova game, the Johnnies are an 8 seed on Bracket Matrix and in 77/78 brackets. That includes a 9 seed from both CBS and ESPN (updated through Monday/Tuesday). The team is in a good place right now, many reactions to the recent losses were overblown, but it is important to win tonight to stop the skid.

One hour before the Nova game, the Johnnies are an 8 seed on Bracket Matrix and in 77/78 brackets. That includes a 9 seed from both CBS and ESPN (updated through Monday/Tuesday). The team is in a good place right now, many reactions to the recent losses were overblown, but it is important to win tonight to stop the skid.
Respectfully, to some it is about how games relate to making the tournament; to others it is about the way the team plays and the corresponding W’s and L’s. The reactions were not overblown at all to the latter, of which I am one. Play the right way, W’s will come and the tournament will take care of itself.

We were already in a good spot, but still a much needed win... and the margin is a huge bonus! Beating Nova 70-50 (a Q2 NET win) brings the Johnnies' KenPom up 11 spots to #31 (from #42). Nova drops from #29 to #38. Good week ahead, with the Johnnies easily in the field.

Respectfully, to some it is about how games relate to making the tournament; to others it is about the way the team plays and the corresponding W’s and L’s. The reactions were not overblown at all to the latter, of which I am one. Play the right way, W’s will come and the tournament will take care of itself.

Fair enough but end of the day 2/3 of them were Q1 losses by 1 point. This was a very difficult stretch for any team and have to step back and look at it a bit neutrally. As far as brackets are concerned the losses really didn't hurt us, they just were missed opportunities. Sports fans in general overreact to games, always been the case and I've been guilty of it myself at times. These days I always try to forget about losses by the following morning (not watching highlights, scrolling X, etc.), and the fact that our NET and bracket placement really weren't hurt by this stretch helped a lot. We're in a very good place right now and keeping the losses close helped with that (unlike in other sports), that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Fair enough but end of the day 2/3 of them were Q1 losses by 1 point. As far as brackets are concerned the losses really didn't hurt us, they just were missed opportunities. Sports fans in general overreact to games, always been the case and I've been guilty of it myself at times. These days I always try to forget about losses by the following morning (not watching highlights, scrolling X, etc.), and the fact that our NET and bracket placement really weren't hurt by this stretch helped a lot. We're in a very good place right now and keeping the losses close helped with that (unlike in other sports), that's all that matters.
I understand you are into this aspect, which is cool, to each his own. But the fact that the losses were close doesn’t matter one bit to me; the fact we beat ourselves by not playing hard for 40 minutes does. I am into the journey and think about Selection Sunday on Selection Sunday or as you get down to the short hairs to Selection Sunday.
And again, I mean no disrespect, I would not have commented except for the “overblown” aspect you presented originally, there is much, much more to the game to me than the mathematical affect of the margin of victory based on a subjective ranking of an opponent; we are just discussing different strokes…………

Back