2023-24 Rankings

Haven't read other opinions on yesterday's game, and obviously it was a tough game to lose, but overall still a solid week for the Johnnies. Losing by one only dropped us one spot in NET and moved us up one in KenPom- so both are now #34. The Providence win added another Q2 win, and we very easily could've lost that one. Tough knowing we were only one shot or missed call away from being ranked, but the same could be said about us going 0-2.

Regardless it's time to look forward- this will be a very interesting AP poll tomorrow. Here's the first AP ballot:

With #1 Purdue, #2 Houston (2X) and #3 Kansas all losing, #4 UConn may move up to #1. Many people here may not like that, but how cool would it be to beat the #1 team at MSG in a few weeks?

#23 Gonzaga also lost and will exit the poll for the first time in 143 weeks.

As for other Big East teams, #11 Marquette will have a sizable drop as they've been pretty mediocre lately and are already up to 5 losses. Hopefully they'll be top 20 when we face them at MSG this week. Creighton should move up into the high teens. Seton Hall has a shot at a ranking, in Borges' ballot (linked above), he has them #15 this week vs. #25 last week. Would be great to face two ranked teams this week.

Best part of this is St. John's should still receive some votes, and with a 2-0 week we'd be ranked. Being in such a strong conference means we don't need to hang our heads after losses, there's another exciting week ahead.

AP poll 1/15/24:

#1 UConn (+3)
#17 Marquette (-6)
#18 Creighton (+4)

#28 Seton Hall (+6)
#36 St. John's (+1 / 15 points)
#43 Villanova (NEW)

I'd be good with a 1-1 week, but go 2-0 and we'd be ranked.
I agree with you and even 1-1 will help a lot in the league standings and I REALLY want to make other plans for Wednesday night of the BE tournament.

There is still a lot of season left. But SJU is better positioned than a lot of people here think. What I am hoping for, and there is a clear path to it beginning tonight, is that unless we are talking seed the NCAAs aren’t even a thought by the beginning of the BE Tournament.

That's where the Pitino impact will come in. With other coaches we've had, I'd be worried about a 3-5 game losing streak that puts us back on our heels. We aren't good enough talent-wise to win every game we're supposed to, but our coaching is good enough to ensure we're in games we aren't supposed to be in.

I know I'm being spoiled saying this, but I want to avoid being a 8/9 seed. Getting a 6/7 would be a phenomenal first year.

That's where the Pitino impact will come in. With other coaches we've had, I'd be worried about a 3-5 game losing streak that puts us back on our heels. We aren't good enough talent-wise to win every game we're supposed to, but our coaching is good enough to ensure we're in games we aren't supposed to be in.

I know I'm being spoiled saying this, but I want to avoid being a 8/9 seed. Getting a 6/7 would be a phenomenal first year.
As SJU has floundered I have given some thought to what is a really good year. And I came to think it’s that 6/7 line and above. That indicates a team where by February you are enjoying games rooting for wins but not sweating each game out. Which is where SJU was for basically forever until they weren’t for basically a new forever.

Bubble years beat garbage years but they include enough stress and losing that it would be great if Pitino can build a sustainable program over that threshold.

NET drops 5 spots (from #32 to #37) after a 15 point loss at Seton Hall (moved up from #66 to #58). Rough and disappointing loss but I guess could've been worse had we lost by more and our efficency metrics took a further dive.

Really need to beat #17 Marquette (#17 in both AP & NET) at home now - another Q1 opportunity. Get that done and it'd still be a solid week.

Win on Saturday would definitely be great for the resume/seeding and to get rid of the stink of the SH loss. If SJU were to win on Saturday, it would be another Quad 1 win and would put SJU in this group of only five teams with at least 7 Quad 1/2 wins: Purdue, Tennessee, Uconn, Wisconsin, and Memphis.

Yep, Bracket Matrix currently has us as an 8 seed and in 70/70 brackets. Not all of them have updated after the SHU loss, but we were also an 8 seed on there a week ago before our last 2 losses. College basketball isn't like pro sports, it matters who you beat / lose to and by how much, and for the most part the Johnnies have done a great job there. Some people need to calm down and move on, our resume is still very good at this point.

My preseason expectations were just to make the Tournament, but given our current position it'd be really nice if we can advance past the 8/9 seeds and become a 7 seed or better. That way we'd avoid playing a 1 seed if we win the first round.

Beating Marquette on Saturday I think is important for reversing momentum and putting us on a path to a 7 seed (or better). If we lose I still think we'd dance, but really want to win that one. Let's hope we do and avoid moving back towards the bubble.

I still think we’re in good shape when it comes to overall season. I’ll play the game of picking W’s we all love lol.
Currently 4-3
DePaul/Gtown=Sweep 4 Games
Rest of schedule=4-5

Entering the Big East Tourney 20-11 (12-8)

I really feel like we’re an 8/9 Seed this year
12-8 is definitely the goal I have for this team.

12-8 feels a lot more doable at 5-3 vs 4-4. Saturday feels like a huge swing game for this season.

I still think we’re in good shape when it comes to overall season. I’ll play the game of picking W’s we all love lol.
Currently 4-3
DePaul/Gtown=Sweep 4 Games
Rest of schedule=4-5

Entering the Big East Tourney 20-11 (12-8)

I really feel like we’re an 8/9 Seed this year
Just for clarity, outside of the 4 DePaul Gtown games. Got to strive for 5-4 if we are a quality ncaa team. 13-7 would be a heck of a season.

Home games vs
Uconn
Nova
Creighton
Hall
Marquette

Road games
Marqutte
Xavier
Butker
Providence

Last edited: