2023-24 Rankings

#24 in the Athletic’s CJ Moor’s rankings—

St. John’s​

St. John’s looks to be on pace to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2019 when it made the First Four. After four Big East games, Pitino’s team is in a four-way tie for first place. If you were wondering if Pitino still had it, he absolutely does. Pitino is one of the best at leaning into what his team is good at. Pitino inherited a good offensive rebounding team — the Red Stormranked 25th in offensive rebounding rate last season — and he’s taken it to another level. This year, the Red Storm are getting back 41.6 percent of their misses, good for third nationally.

Last edited:
#23 from the Louisville write. Add another 3 points - now up to 11 (don't think Moor or Goodman are AP voters)

I don’t trust this guy. This complimentary ranking could be a ploy to convince Pitino that his work turning around SJU is complete, and he should go back to coach Louisville.

St. John’s​

St. John’s looks to be on pace to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2019 when it made the First Four. After four Big East games, Pitino’s team is in a four-way tie for first place. If you were wondering if Pitino still had it, he absolutely does. Pitino is one of the best at leaning into what his team is good at. Pitino inherited a good offensive rebounding team — the Red Stormranked 25th in offensive rebounding rate last season — and he’s taken it to another level. This year, the Red Storm are getting back 41.6 percent of their misses, good for third nationally.
I have a subscription. This was a well written piece.

I don’t trust this guy. This complimentary ranking could be a ploy to convince Pitino that his work turning around SJU is complete, and he should go back to coach Louisville.
I know you jest, but I have never in my life been as sure about a coach sticking around a school(excluding coaches who only coached at 1 school, like K) as I am of Rick staying here till he's ready to hang it up...or until he wins a National Championship. In the latter case, he can leave with my blessings.

St. John’s​

"Inherited" LOL. The whole team is new.

AP poll 1/8/24:

#4 UConn (-)
#11 Marquette (-4)
#22 Creighton (+5)

#34 Seton Hall (NEW)
#37 St. John's (NEW - 18 points)
#43 Providence (-20)

Exciting games this week- we'll definitely be ranked if we manage to go 2-0.

What's the love affair with BAMA? I haven't watched much of them, but they are like 9-5. What's all the love about?

Back