2023-24 Rankings

Would be tough to win both, but certainly doable. The AP as a whole doesn't pay much attention to teams that are unranked (unless they are playing ranked teams) when they fill out their ballots, so we're going to need Creighton to be ranked on Monday.

Currently Creighton is #27 with 106 votes. #25 has 168 votes. Creighton did beat #23 Providence so that'll help, and they'll obviously pass them to move up to #26, though other teams in the #20-25 range haven't lost so it's not a guarantee yet that Creighton will be ranked.

#17 Florida Atlantic did just lose to a bad Charlotte team, so maybe they'll pass them.

Would help Creighton's chances if the following teams lose tonight:
#22 Ole Miss @ #5 Tennessee (possibly not enough to knock out Ole Miss)
#24 Gonzaga Vs. San Diego
#20 Texas Vs. Tech Tech (though TT themselves could be ranked with a win so maybe better for Texas to win)
Every game is tough, to win the nc, you gotta beat damn good teams, which is tough.

In the end you just go out there and you get the win. One game at a time, no looking ahead.

Doesn’t matter if Creighton is ranked or not when we play them. If we win these next two games we will be in the Top 25.

Possibly but I think you're way overestimating most of the AP. Some voters who share their ballots online would have us ranked as they pay attention to more, but time and time again the big majority of the rest of the voters are a week or two behind them when it comes to unranked teams.

Going from zero (or a few) votes to ranked without beating a ranked team almost never happens. Keep in mind PC may have 0 AP votes after their 0-2 week (plus they lost their superstar).

Regardless, Creighton most likely will be ranked (and it'll be tough to go 2-0), so it's unlikely this scenario will happen. And hey, if Creighton isn't ranked and we do go 2-0 then I'd be thrilled regardless.

If Seton Hall keeps knocking off ranked opponents they could move up as well.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Their NET is only #79 but that'll have some really nice movement tomorrow. Maybe they'll be on the bubble soon.

Wow, NET has improved from #45 to #31 (!!!). One spot ahead of Nova now.

Quad 1: 2-2
Quad 2: 3-1
Quad 3: 2-1
Quad 4: 4-0

If the Tournament were held today, we'd 100% be in (and not in the First Four). After the BC game I thought it'd take a couple months to have this type of resume (especially the NET) but the team has done an incredible job in just under a month.

Last edited:
None of the major brackets have updated yet, but looking at some of the smaller blog style brackets that update daily, yesterday's win improved the Johnnies' ranking by 8-20 spots, or 2-5 seed lines. Many now project us as a 7 or 8 seed, best I've seen is a 6 seed and worst 11 seed (not the First Four).

Some examples:

Expect the Johnnies to be a big storyline when the major brackets update this week.

FWIW, Bart's site gives us a 95% chance of making the tournament with the most likely seed being a 7. This is a predictive metric and not a typical bracketology based on results up to this point. Worth noting that Bart is most bullish on us out of all the metrics sites, having us at 17th.

Can someone explain why the 11 seed is the play in game and not the 16 or 15 seeds? It has never made sense to me.

Can someone explain why the 11 seed is the play in game and not the 16 or 15 seeds? It has never made sense to me.
The 4 lowest ranked 16 seeds also are part of the play in. So the worst 4 teams and the last 4 at large teams all play in.

AP ballot from UConn writer:

#4 UConn
#11 Marquette
#21 Creighton
#25 Seton Hall

Interesting he has Hall in with a #73 NET, but they do have some of the most impressive wins of any team. Think St. John's will get a few votes as well. Creighton moved up one spot from his prior ballot (will need to move up two spots overall from #27).

AP ballot from UConn writer:

#4 UConn
#11 Marquette
#21 Creighton
#25 Seton Hall

Interesting he has Hall in with a #73 NET, but they do have some of the most impressive wins of any team. Think St. John's will get a few votes as well. Creighton moved up one spot from his prior ballot (will need to move up two spots overall from #27).
I'd say Seton Hall deserves it over us. The team I don't think deserves it is Creighton.

#20 and #21

Oh wow. They're both AP voters so that's 11 points. Much better than I expected.

As I stated earlier, the voters who post their ballots online are way ahead of the curve for teams like St. John's, so I'd be extremely surprised if end up ranked tomorrow, but still great to receive this many points thus far.

Edit: my mistake, Goodman is no longer an AP voter so that's 5 points instead of 11, but still nice to have at least one ballot with a strong showing.

Last edited:
Back