2023-24 Rankings

Providence’s ranking is based almost entirely on their having played 10 home games in a building where they have a preponderant home court advantage and the friendliest whistle in the Big East. Let’s see how they fare on the road. No way they’re a legit top 25 team.
They aren't anymore a top 25 team then Butler or we are.
Providence
Pomeroy 41
NET 53
St. John's
Pomeroy 43
NET 51

Providence’s ranking is based almost entirely on their having played 10 home games in a building where they have a preponderant home court advantage and the friendliest whistle in the Big East. Let’s see how they fare on the road. No way they’re a legit top 25 team.

Yeah I anticipate St. John's will be favored. Providence's NET is actually 2 below St. John's - 53 vs. 51. Also, from what I remember Utah had some big players but we beat them, just not sure if Providence's are more athletic.

Regardless the perception of beating a ranked team would be great for both the team and fans, especially at home. Would set the tone before better teams come to MSG later in January and February. I like our chances.

Yeah I anticipate St. John's will be favored. Providence's NET is actually 2 below St. John's - 53 vs. 51. Also, from what I remember Utah had some big players but we beat them, just not sure if Providence's are more athletic.

Regardless the perception of beating a ranked team would be great for both the team and fans, especially at home. Would set the tone before better teams come to MSG later in January and February. I like our chances.
Don't underestimate the Friars, they are a solid team, better than both Butler & Xavier imho. I expect we will fight it out with PC & Nova for 4, 5 and 6 spots in BE regular season.

Don't underestimate the Friars, they are a solid team, better than both Butler & Xavier imho. I expect we will fight it out with PC & Nova for 4, 5 and 6 spots in BE regular season.

Definitely realize it'll be tough but it may be our best opportunity for a ranked win this year. I'm guessing we'll be favored by a couple points so I expect to win. If we can't win middle of the pack home games then we'll need to start upsetting some of the top teams home/away.

We just took the defending national champs down to the wire and led a good portion of that game on the road. And we didn’t play well. We can beat anyone in this league especially if we play better than we did the other day. There is nothing wrong with expecting to beat providence at home.

We just took the defending national champs down to the wire and led a good portion of that game on the road. And we didn’t play well. We can beat anyone in this league especially if we play better than we did the other day. There is nothing wrong with expecting to beat providence at home.
Very reasonable to expect splits with PC, Butler & Nova. I think this is the year we can sweep Hall & possibly Xavier though in addition to Gtown & Depaul.

Very reasonable to expect splits with PC, Butler & Nova. I think this is the year we can sweep Hall & possibly Xavier though in addition to Gtown & Depaul.
Yup that’s my expectation as well. I didn’t mean to sound pessimistic, I just think the Big East “middle” means it will really be a dog fight every night.

LUNARDI has us in the NEXT FOUR OUT category.
I think he’s probably wrong. Haven’t looked closely but are there 40 teams with 3+ quad 1/2 wins and zero 3/4 losses? I think one thing working against St. John’s is that a lot of people watched the Michigan game and they were horrible. UConn game probably starts to move that narrative.

This should provide some perspective too:

I think he’s probably wrong. Haven’t looked closely but are there 40 teams with 3+ quad 1/2 wins and zero 3/4 losses? I think one thing working against St. John’s is that a lot of people watched the Michigan game and they were horrible. UConn game probably starts to move that narrative.

This should provide some perspective too:

Glad we’re looking much better lately. But yes, that Michigan game (right or wrong) was the litmus test many common fans used to judge us.

I think everyone is tired of hearing about the UConn game by now, personally I mostly focus on other things following losses (until we approach the next game), but for that reason I haven't given my 2 cents yet.

Obviously a win would've looked really nice on Selection Sunday, but this was one of the most beneficial "losses" a team could possibly have. This has nothing to do with moral victories, a close loss on the road against a top 5 team helped improve our NET (as others have noted). I'd argue the loss still overall benefited our resume (besides missing out on a huge opportunity- but fortunately there will be more). If you can lose and it still helps you, then it isn't a total loss. Getting blown out and dropping in the NET would've been a total loss.

As for Hofstra, this is the only OOC game that I think was poorly scheduled. Playing a local (and strong) mid-major at a venue like this, one with a mediocre atmosphere against Kansas the one time we played there, and having it count as a home game despite the distances being similar for both schools... isn't ideal. That said we still should win, so do that, pick up a quality win, and reevaluate for next year. Love what the staff is doing with scheduling (especially next year), so they deserve a mulligan this time.

NET at #50 at the conclusion of OOC play. Right on the bubble. Likely not where many of us had hoped for going into 2024, but certainly not a bad position.

The key now will be to maintain / improve upon this in January, which is a month St. John's has tanked in nearly every year I can remember over the past decade plus. Our OOC schedule this year I believe has better prepared us to handle BE play, though this will be a tough month. We don't play DePaul/Georgetown at all.

Need to at a minimum split Vs. Butler / @ Villanova to get to 2-2, so winning that Butler game on Tuesday would be HUGE. After that we'll play (now) #25 Providence at MSG which could really bring our momentum back.

Also, I can't believe that UConn game was only last weekend as it felt like weeks ago, but fortunately we'll play two games every week until late January. Looking forward to an exciting 2024.

Currently 3 quad 1/2 wins, which is pretty good OOC and the Utah win on a neutral court looks really good. Hopefully Michigan improves a bit bc that’s currently a quad 3 loss, but they’re right in the borderline at 79 (need them to be 75 or better). I think right now they are a bubble team, but if Michigan were quad 2, would be in safely based on that resume.

Back