2023-24 Rankings

Haven't posted in a couple weeks, but obviously the BC loss was pretty bad. It may not end up qualifying as a "bad" loss on Selection Sunday (good shot at being Q2), but regardless that's one we really needed to win. Enough of that though, time to look forward.

Get the final two OOC to finish 8-3, preferably by significant margins to improve NET, and our OOC will be fine. Not great, likely not even right side of the bubble, but fine. As IDRAFT said it's too early to say what our Big East record needs to be. The last time we made it we had a losing BE record at 8-10 because we won a lot of Q1 games, and that year we also had 1 Q1 OOC win (over VCU). The majority of posters back then thought we'd need a winning record in the BE to make it.

The Big East this year, despite being a disappointment relative to expectations, will have plenty of opportunities for Q1 and Q2 wins. Pick up some of those and avoid bad losses and we'll have a solid shot. My preseason expectations for this year were just to make the Tournament. I'm not moving the goalposts one inch as this is a veteran team and many of our top players will graduate after this year. Personally I still feel we'll make it, it's only been one month and we all agreed this is a team that should improve throughout the season. A lot of games to play these next 3 months.

Haven't posted in a couple weeks, but obviously the BC loss was pretty bad. It may not end up qualifying as a "bad" loss on Selection Sunday (good shot at being Q2), but regardless that's one we really needed to win. Enough of that though, time to look forward.

Get the final two OOC to finish 8-3, preferably by significant margins to improve NET, and our OOC will be fine. Not great, likely not even right side of the bubble, but fine. As IDRAFT said it's too early to say what our Big East record needs to be. The last time we made it we had a losing BE record at 8-10 because we won a lot of Q1 games, and that year we also had 1 Q1 OOC win (over VCU). The majority of posters back then thought we'd need a winning record in the BE to make it.

The Big East this year, despite being a disappointment relative to expectations, will have plenty of opportunities for Q1 and Q2 wins. Pick up some of those and avoid bad losses and we'll have a solid shot. My preseason expectations for this year were just to make the Tournament. I'm not moving the goalposts one inch as this is a veteran team and many of our top players will graduate after this year. Personally I still feel we'll make it, it's only been one month and we all agreed this is a team that should improve throughout the season. A lot of games to play these next 3 months.
Very grounded post unlike my usual lofty expectations.

Very grounded post unlike my usual lofty expectations.

Fortunately I was on vacation so I missed the BC game, but had i posted earlier in the week my post probably would've been more negative haha.

I think all sports fan overreact immediately after games, but we've still got 23+ to go and this one game absolutely will not keep us out if we play like a deserving Tournament team rest of the way.

I really believe that the presence of the Duke AD on the committee (and connection to Cragg) resulted in the committee evauating us as if we had won the game at Seton Hall where we were robbed by the refs in the final seconds with the inadvertant whistle.

Fortunately I was on vacation so I missed the BC game, but had i posted earlier in the week my post probably would've been more negative haha.

I think all sports fan overreact immediately after games, but we've still got 23+ to go and this one game absolutely will not keep us out if we play like a deserving Tournament team rest of the way.
Yeah, I'm kinda glad I was out of the country as well.

I really believe that the presence of the Duke AD on the committee (and connection to Cragg) resulted in the committee evauating us as if we had won the game at Seton Hall where we were robbed by the refs in the final seconds with the inadvertant whistle.

It may have, but the result wasn't unexpected. 128/195 brackets on bracketmatrix.com had us in the field, so overall they agreed with the Committee and had us as the final team in. Point being even if we have a mediocre NET (like that year-#73), a poor Big East record (8-10), or a mediocre OOC record (like this year), we can still make it. The Committee cares a lot about who you beat and lose to and not so much about records.

It may have, but the result wasn't unexpected. 128/195 brackets on bracketmatrix.com had us in the field, so overall they agreed with the Committee and had us as the final team in. Point being even if we have a mediocre NET (like that year-#73), a poor Big East record (8-10), or a mediocre OOC record (like this year), we can still make it. The Committee cares a lot about who you beat and lose to and not so much about records.
This is exactly it, the most important thing is beating good teams and not losing to bad teams (adjusted for location). We don’t have any bad loses (Dayton is quad 1, BC and Michigan are quad 2) and we have one good win (Utah is quad 1). Some of these will move during the season for better and worse (N Texas and WV are both close to quad 2). That’s an ok resume for this part of the season and we’ve avoided big blemishes like many other teams have.

There are a ton of opportunities for Q1 wins in conference, but the concern I'm sure you share with many of us is being in a position to make up ground in conference. That's so difficult in a round-robin format. We would have to avoid getting swept by three legit top 10 caliber teams, while sweeping teams at the bottom. DePaul is really the only gimmee there and how often do we actually sweep them? 8-3 was the absolute floor IMO. Go .500 in conference and win a game or two in the conference tournament. That should be enough with a story like Pitino's comeback likely buying us some good grace with the committee.

We just need Luis back and involved in a big way.

There are a ton of opportunities for Q1 wins in conference, but the concern I'm sure you share with many of us is being in a position to make up ground in conference. That's so difficult in a round-robin format. We would have to avoid getting swept by three legit top 10 caliber teams, while sweeping teams at the bottom. DePaul is really the only gimmee there and how often do we actually sweep them? 8-3 was the absolute floor IMO. Go .500 in conference and win a game or two in the conference tournament. That should be enough with a story like Pitino's comeback likely buying us some good grace with the committee.

We just need Luis back and involved in a big way.
We also really need to root for Boston College, Dayton and Michigan.

#36 PC will be ranked next week after beating #6 Marquette tonight as long as they beat Butler on Saturday. Awesome for them after the Cooley nonsense, plus Cooley lost to Butler tonight. Also would be great for PC to be ranked when they come to MSG in a few weeks.

Back