2023-24 Rankings

NET doesn't actually use scoring margin, but it does have an off/def efficiency component, so if you score more points per possession (and give up fewer) your NET improves. And especially early in the season, a single game can have a bigger effect on the efficiency metrics--should level out over time. KenPom is actually pretty similar in that respect, which is why the johnnies probably jumped a bunch there too (though I think KenPom actually uses old data early in the season to smooth those jumps--not sure whether that's actually better or not, probably not). both are "predictive" meaning they don't really evaluate a team's resume (although that is part of the metric) and shouldn't be used that way.

I find it interesting that we have a very similar ranking in Pomeroy and NET and so does Butler, Creighton, UCONN and Marquette. The other 5 are at least 15 points worse in the NET. Xavier, DePaul and Georgetown are over 40 spots worse.

The only thing I can take from that is to up our NET we will need to beat BC, Hofstra(51 NET) and Fordham. The more we win by the better. Then in the Big East sweep DePaul and Georgetown by a lot. Play well against Nova, Providence, Butler, Seton Hall and especially Xavier and try to be as competitive as possible against the top 3.

Our greatest team in the modern era beat Fordham and St. Bonaventure by one point at Alumni Hall. Lost at Niagara. Only has 2 high profile games against UCLA and NC State. Could only imagine what our NET would have been back then. Games will always be decided on the court, not 2K.

Our greatest team in the modern era beat Fordham and St. Bonaventure by one point at Alumni Hall. Lost at Niagara. Only has 2 high profile games against UCLA and NC State. Could only imagine what our NET would have been back then. Games will always be decided on the court, not 2K.
Which Norm year are you talking about for our younger fans :)

18-12 won’t get us a whiff of the Dance. Assuming we go 8-3 OOC, we’ll need 12-8 in BE to be fairly comfortable.
Yup. That's why I feel pessimistic about making it after yesterday.

I think we beat Hofstra and Fordham, but who's to say we don't have another mindnumbing loss or two to Seton Hall, Providence, Xavier, Butler, etc.?

Yup. That's why I feel pessimistic about making it after yesterday.

I think we beat Hofstra and Fordham, but who's to say we don't have another mindnumbing loss or two to Seton Hall, Providence, Xavier, Butler, etc.?
Or shock the fan base as of today wins over Marquette UConn and Creighton. Still long way to go here.

Last edited:
18-12 sounds really fair at this point.
18 wins in the Equivalent of Monte Eric Ejoyce and me going to a club and dancing to pick up chicks ( we are paying NYCReden not to take pics ) even then this isn't a good sight and the only guy hooking up most likely is Monte because he is the best of the worst and as he often says ( Italians have more rhythm than a Belfast Bomber )

Last edited:
18 wins in the Equivalent of Monte Eric Ejoyce and me going to a club and dancing to pick up chicks ( we are paying NYCReden not to take pics ) even then this isn't a good sight and the only guy hooking up most likely is Monte because he is the best of the worst and as he often says ( Italians have more rhythm than a Belfast Bomber )

Attachments

• IMG_1702.gif
    IMG_1702.gif
    483 KB · Views: 10
There are many different paths to 18-12, or 19-11, or any other record. As well as uncountable variations to how the overall Big East schedule will play out. Which is tiny compared to the immense variations of how the totality of the NCAA Division one schedule will unfold. And then the amount of at large bids will shift some more based on how automatic bids end up awarded. Which no one will have a clue about until March.

Nobody knows at this time how many games anyone needs to win to make the tournament. And there isn’t a magic number anyway as the formula has much to do with who you beat.

Enjoy the games, and if SJU is any good they will be in the NCAAs. They take 68 teams.

If they can’t qualify there is a good chance you won’t want to watch anymore of them anyway.

There are many different paths to 18-12, or 19-11, or any other record. As well as uncountable variations to how the overall Big East schedule will play out. Which is tiny compared to the immense variations of how the totality of the NCAA Division one schedule will unfold. And then the amount of at large bids will shift some more based on how automatic bids end up awarded. Which no one will have a clue about until March.

Nobody knows at this time how many games anyone needs to win to make the tournament. And there isn’t a magic number anyway as the formula has much to do with who you beat.

Enjoy the games, and if SJU is any good they will be in the NCAAs. They take 68 teams.

If they can’t qualify there is a good chance you won’t want to watch anymore of them anyway.
That’s sake serious Yoda wisdom ! appreciate that thank you you I am :)

Back