2022-23 Season

Here is my speculation.  SJU lands 2 five star kids who de-commit from other schools, they land 3 stud transfers, Posh wins POY and Wheeler averages 22 PPG.  Meanwhile the rest of the conference collapses thru injuries and COVID and SJU wins the conference at 18-2.

Or they put together a similar roster to the last few years finish lower tier of conference and we are told he needs a few more years to build his roster.

Or maybe somewhere in between,,,

LOL

fordham96 post=465009 said:
Here is my speculation.  SJU lands 2 five star kids who de-commit from other schools, they land 3 stud transfers, Posh wins POY and Wheeler averages 22 PPG.  Meanwhile the rest of the conference collapses thru injuries and COVID and SJU wins the conference at 18-2.

Or they put together a similar roster to the last few years finish lower tier of conference and we are told he needs a few more years to build his roster.

LOL

And somewhere in between could be a tournament team.

You’re really making a big deal out of this. Could we be worse next year regardless of rest of BE? Sure. I don’t think we will be. Player improvement, experience, chemistry etc. but you don’t want to hear that. So there’s that point about us and I think the BE will take a step back. I’ve already mentioned the teams who are losing multiple, 2,3, even 4 core guys. Truly I respect your opinion on it, so what’s your opinion on how we will look next year? 

Last edited:
Doesn't matter who you lose it matters who you have on your team. Most other schools in the BE are programs that reload with recruits and impact transfers so I would expect the same basic level of play in the conference. 

bamafan post=465013 said:
Doesn't matter who you lose it matters who you have on your team. Most other schools in the BE are programs that reload with recruits and impact transfers so I would expect the same basic level of play in the conference. 

True, but we kind of “reloaded” last year people thought. I’d rather we retain.

Amaseinyourface post=465011 said:

LOL

And somewhere in between could be a tournament team.

You’re really making a big deal out of this. Could we be worse next year regardless of rest of BE? Sure. I don’t think we will be. Player improvement, experience, chemistry etc. but you don’t want to hear that. So there’s that point about us and I think the BE will take a step back. I’ve already mentioned the teams who are losing multiple, 2,3, even 4 core guys. Truly I respect your opinion on it, so what’s your opinion on how we will look next year? 

It's only when LMF makes statements.  He should pay Fordham rent for living in his head.  I reckon it's dates back to the controversial politics threads.  /media/kunena/emoticons/w00t.png

PS I am not sure it doesn't go both ways.  I could see them arguing if the sky is red or green without blue being a consideration.

Amaseinyourface post=465014 said:

Wasn't including us in my reference to most teams in BE being programs capable of reloading unfortunately. For proof see our results for the past 20 some odd years.

LOL

Sorry if it wasn't clear - I was talking to the adults in the room. But please carry on.

To those who opine it's too early to speculate about next season, my response is that this board is all about hopium, without which life can be pretty dreary at times. Like many here, I was disappointed in Champ's inability to win games for us this year at clutch moments. But as other posters point out, we're losing a 20+ points a game player, which automatically sets the team back unless we add another 20+ game producer and I'm not betting on it. I liked Wusu's game early this year, but became disenchanted by his tendency to pick up steam while driving to the basket like a runaway train and either lose the ball or commit an OF. He also drove into the corner a number of times and would get tied up. He needs to learn to play under control. Want to see Stanley get more minutes, he's a warrior. And here's where the hopium comes in. If Pinzon plays up to expectations, Storr is an important contributor by mid-season and we pick up a stud from the portal, next year could be interesting.

You don't have to replace a 20+ point producer with another. You need improvement from the returning players plus the addition of adequate transfers to make up for that 20+ point loss. You also hope one of next years players can hit big shots at critical times in a game without screwing the pooch.

How can you reload when you weren't loaded to begin with? Having said that, I had to get re-loaded every time I watched a game this past season /media/kunena/emoticons/wink.png

Monte post=465096 said:

How can you reload when you weren't loaded to begin with? Having said that, I had to get re-loaded every time I watched a game this past season /media/kunena/emoticons/wink.png

Notice the quotation marks. I didn’t think we got obviously better. But we had a good team with players set to return. Instead we brought in new guys and I know I don’t need to remind you but the general thought was that we improved because of the additions.

All you have to do is look at Creighton last year to this year to know it's impossible to predict until you see them play. Lost their entire starting five. Pick up a transfer like Ryan Hawkins  and hope Storr plays close to the way Kaluma did for Creighton and who knows 

NCJohnnie post=465110 said:
All you have to do is look at Creighton last year to this year to know it's impossible to predict until you see them play. Lost their entire starting five. Pick up a transfer like Ryan Hawkins  and hope Storr plays close to the way Kaluma did for Creighton and who knows 

Most of Creighton's minutes went to 5 guys that were all 4 star, top 100 high school players.  They lost a lot but reloaded with recent recruiting classes that St. John's could only dream of.  They got O'Connell to transfer in.  Throw in a future hall of fame coach and good things can happen.  You never know until you see them play,  but unless Storr is a beast, next year will be extremely challenging.

Sick burn....

lawmanfan post=465019

Sorry if it wasn't clear - I was talking to the adults in the room. But please carry on.

It says something that in order for us to have a good year next we need to hit on a lot of 50/50 (at best) IFs. IF Wheeler stays, IF we get a couple impact transfers, IF Storr plays like the exception rather than the rule for a freshman, IF Posh develops a jump shot. Asking for a lot...

We are loosing our best player
and I wouldn't be surprised if Wheeler, who was our 3rd best player for the last 2 months and who will be 24 in Sept, decided to try his hand at a pro career somewhere. Not sure how we're going to replace that production. That leaves us with Posh, who hopefully will take a step forward, and a group of  decent role players. The likelihood that  Storr will be an immediate impact player is slim. So I'll add him to the list of decent role players for at least his freshmen season. I expect we'll grab a few players from the portal, but I don't expect any to be impact players. I hope I'm wrong about that. And with all due respect to those of you who are convinced that our front line of Soriano, Nyiwe, Stanley and Traore are solid, I wholeheartedly disagree. Maybe individually they are or can be solid role players, but collectively they are not going to instill fear in the rest of the big east. So, as it stands right now we head in to next season with a bunch of decent role players and one legit potential star. I say potential because because is not there yet. My thoughts on next season are probably less optimistic then they were going in to this past season. Most likely we'll finish  towards the bottom end of big east, but if we pick up a couple of impact players and things break right for us, middle of the big east pack and a bubble tourney team. This is all subject to change based on who leaves and who comes. 

Last edited:
Posh is already a star and if he enters the portal he’ll have his pick of some of the best programs in the country. Hope he stays after a tough season that in reality was so close to fulfilling expectations with so many close games. Hope Wheeler comes back but he is getting old to be playing college ball. There’s some work to be done and I’m looking forward to seeing who the staff brings in.

Last edited:
By SJU fan standards Posh may be a star, but by subjective standards he is not. He was an honorable mention all Big East player, along with Kalbrenner, Nunge and others. All very good players, but none stars. Now, staying injury free and being more consistent could result in him becoming a star, but he ain't there yet. 

Monte post=465160 said:
By SJU fan standards Posh may be a star, but by subjective standards he is not. He was an honorable mention all Big East player, along with Kalbrenner, Nunge and others. All very good players, but none stars. Now, staying injury free and being more consistent could result in him becoming a star, but he ain't there yet. 
Agree, his long range shot will have to improve as scoring proficiency is what hoops stars are mostly judged. 

Mug Costanza post=465148 said:
It says something that in order for us to have a good year next we need to hit on a lot of 50/50 (at best) IFs. IF Wheeler stays, IF we get a couple impact transfers, IF Storr plays like the exception rather than the rule for a freshman, IF Posh develops a jump shot. Asking for a lot...
In other words we are like many other teams, with multiple moving parts. 
No inside info at all but I believe Wheeler stays.  
I don’t believe Storr will be a star but if he gives us half of what Champ did that would be good. 
Hopefully 3 healthy players at the point this season, not Wusu, that would be a huge improvement. 
Mathis went from a player that single handedly lost a game or two for us to a solid role player, who played within his game once he knew what was required. 
Hopefully Stanley takes the big step from freshman to soph and is a regular contributor. 
If the defence improves we will be much improved. Both Soriano and Nyiewe took huge steps towards the end of the season. 
Lots of reasons to be optimistic about next season. 

Back