2022-23 Season

bucketshardy

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
(Mods- feel free to delete this, but didn't see a thread dedicated to our new season- if i missed it- trash this, no hurt feelings)

Ok- now that we have affirmation CMA is dedicated and working to restore SJU to Glory- let's start piecing together our outlook. I know things can and will probably change - hopefully not too much roster departures (i personally think all our guys have the capability of contributing at a BE level) - and we get some valuable additions on the transfer market.

Easiest way to do this, even though not everyone aligns correctly, is by position:
PG: Posh / Pinzon / King - I think this is a strength and like the outlook here

SG: Wusu / Mathis - Like these two players (as i do all our guys) - and even though Wusu shot 38% from 3.... think we all agree that we need to add some perimeter threats

SF: Storr - highest rated HS recruit CMA has landed- feel like all his HS recruits have panned out so far... positive outlook here

PF: Wheeler / Stanley / Drissa - man i hope Wheeler returns... was really hitting his stride in the second half of the season and was playing with real confidence. Aside from his 3pt shooting (38.5%) - every time he drove he was finishing at the rim. 

C: Soriano / Nyiwe - these two- really like what we were getting from them at the end of the season- honestly feel if Soriano didn't get hurt- we win those two games vs Creighton/DePaul

We are at 11 guys - and with off-season improvement - no departures... continuity in CMA's system... we'll be ahead of the curve come November.... 

I'd love to win the lottery also, but realize that's probably not gonna happen, so I will brace myself for inevitable departures... hopefully are staff is ready and already has cast out some lines and we come out net + when things are said and done.

With all respect, it does make any sense attempting to handicap the upcoming season until you know what the rosters will be.

the key to next season, for me, is that Posh improves on his 3 pt shooting from last season to bring it up to at least the year before, when he shot 30% in his FOY season.  As long as he is relatively healthy, without the nagging wrist and other injuries he seemed to have all this season, it can be expected that he will improve on his 21.7% shooting from 3 this season. All his other stats in this second year improved from his first and, in my view, he deserved a position on one of the all-conference teams.

Last edited:
Would love to see Posh, as a junior, named a team captain.  Love his toughness!

Thanks Brian - this thread is a good palate cleanser - time to turn the page on last season and look forward to the next.  Obviously largely speculative at the moment, but we need SOMETHING to talk about besides ... the usual stuff.

I don’t think Posh has to become a 3 point shooter , hopefully others will fill that role . What he can do is improve on the 10-12 footer in the Lane . It gives him the option of pulling up and shooting vs driving Into traffic .  The problem is that Posh is so unselfish a Player that he often dishes off , instead of taking the shot himself . 

We need to change the philosphy towards offense this year.  Im starting Pinzon at the 2 this year.

And the rotation should not include Wusu and Mathis.  Only 1 of those guys should be playing and id prefer Wusu.

Duke of Earlington post=464559 said:
We need to change the philosphy towards offense this year.  Im starting Pinzon at the 2 this year.

And the rotation should not include Wusu and Mathis.  Only 1 of those guys should be playing and id prefer Wusu.

I’d be very surprised if Mathis returns 

SLYFOXX1968 post=464526 said:
I don’t think Posh has to become a 3 point shooter , hopefully others will fill that role . 

I agree.  But I do think having that in his arsenal will make him an even more effective driver and disher.

Pinzon is not just a PG--he can play SG also.  Wheeler can even move to small forward, if need be, based on his 3 PT shooting which was far better than Champ's in BE play.  The Wheeler at SF would allow Storr to move over to SG.

Boo Harvey post=464561 said:
Duke of Earlington post=464559 said:

I’d be very surprised if Mathis returns 

I agree with this, but wouldn't Mathis have to apply for a waiver not to sit?  He used his one free.  Even if he graduated, I thought a waiver was necessary for a second transfer.   

We need at least 2   Three point shooters that are consistent and reliable. Every effort should be to get players who can shoot fts and be a decent shooter at the Big East level..That would more than solve half our problems.

Either we get coaches that can teach our guards and forwards to be consistent 3 point shooters or recruit  players who can.Shooting air balls or bricks  aren’t going to win us many games regardless of who is our coach.Athletic bb players can’t put the ball in the hoop.

Maybe there's a Chris Mullin-type player in the transfer portal?

Paultz?

Last edited:
MainMan post=464588 said:
Maybe there's a Chris Mullin-type player in the transfer portal?

Paultz?

[attachment=2542]26A1651C-9F2D-456E-93AA-A0520A19D72C.jpeg[/attachment]

Not optimistic about next  yr unless we recruit a lot of help.otherwise our season will  look  the same since mostly every team we plAyed had more talent and better shooters
Hoping we add quality

Wheeler and Wusu would be among the top 10 returning 3pt.% shooters in the Big East.

Soriano's low post-game improved immensely. Nywie has great hands, great athleticism and works hard every game. 

Everyone and their grandma thinks Pizon is special.

Add a First Team All BE caliber PG in Posh..... and we're not completely doggie-doo next year if everyone we need returns. 

Last edited:
MainMan post=464597 said:
Wheeler and Wusu would be among the top 10 returning 3pt.% shooters in the Big East.

Soriano's low post-game improved immensely. Nywie has great hands, great athleticism and works hard every game. 

Everyone and their grandma thinks Pizon is special.

Add a First Team All BE caliber PG in Posh..... and we're not completely doggie-doo next year if everyone we need returns. 

Numbers are only numbers, but there isn’t a returning backcourt in the league with the production of Posh and Wusu.

BrooklynRed post=464576 said:
Pinzon is not just a PG--he can play SG also.  Wheeler can even move to small forward, if need be, based on his 3 PT shooting which was far better than Champ's in BE play.  The Wheeler at SF would allow Storr to move over to SG.

Not diminishing Wheeler but many of his threes were on very good looks.  He clearly can get off his shot due to his height and athletic ability, but I don’t think he shoots anywhere near as well if the defense focuses on him.  

The inverse can be said of Champagnie.  Yes, he missed some good looks this year, but no question that his shooting percentage suffered bc the opponent’s defense focused on him.

My point is that Wheeler had a very good second half of the year and his return should be a net positive.  But it’s not fair to the kid for us to compare him to Champagnie who, even if he was a bit disappointing this year, did so many things very well.

Last edited:
Back