2022-23 Season

Not an alum post=464623 said:
Love the optimism but returning the same team without its best player doesn’t do it for me…

need serious talent upgrades at the 2 and 3. The league will allow us to shoot 3’s/long jumpers At will and we’ll miss them

You are so right. Unless they bring in some top talent it will be another doghouse year for st John's and hopefully the last for Anderson

Two years ago the idea was that there was nobody to replace LJ as a scorer, Champagnie was not a consideration for that role.  And then he had the Sophomore year he had. Overall the roster will have to shake out anyway, we live in the portal age, but it's not unusual for college age players to improve. Also, looking at who SJU will lose (Champagnie) in a vacuum isn't how this will work. Given that two thirds of the schedule is Big East teams, it will be relevant to see how other rosters shake out. Why it's a given that Champagnie is a pro, but not Justin Lewis, or Sanago, is not an opinion of mine. And I'm sure Villanova will reload, but even Gillespie shouldn't be allowed a tenth year of college ball so he will be gone. Same for Watson. Pre portal effect, Champagnie will not be the only impact player leaving the league, but he will be the only impact player leaving SJU. 

When we know who stayed it will be clearer what is needed. Clearer, but not clear, which is the fun of it. I'm bullish on a roster that includes a significant amount of the current players with a couple of portal additions, especially in the new world order where the NCAA punishes teams for developing later in the season. My hope is that plan can be used.

Love the optimism but returning the same team without its best player doesn’t do it for me…

need serious talent upgrades at the 2 and 3. The league will allow us to shoot 3’s/long jumpers At will and we’ll miss them

We return two of the better 3 pt shooters in the Big East in Wheeler and Wusu.  If they return...

Room112 post=464640 said:
Amaseinyourface post=464635 said:
JohnnyFan post=464633 said:
Mase....thanks for posting Wusu's BE stats.  I must admit, they are better than I thought because I found him frustrating to watch this year.  In addition to free throw shooting and finishing at the rim, there were some ugly ill-timed turnovers.  He often made the amazing pass, followed by an unfortunate decision.  This could improve with mere experience.

Overall, I have never been super high on Wusu's game and believe, on a tournament team, he is our 2nd shooting guard.  That said, he is a talented, hard-working, positive teammate....so, I'll sign up for that.

All fair. I’d personally say putting him at SG is the worst spot for him. He’s a playmaker first and foremost.

Not speculating that he's leaving, but in you opinion, if Wusu were to transfer out this year, do you think there would be high major interest? Or would he have to settle for a mid major?

It’s a fair question. I can only say what I think he is. I thought Greg Williams was a high major player. I still do. I think Wusu is a high major player and his trajectory so far at the BE level says so IMO.

If VCU and Washington state both want a guy, is he a high major player or a mid major player?

Mase falls in love with players hard. When he grows attached he only sees the good
His future / current wife is going to walk all over him lol

Wheeler will be the best offensive player on our team next year and I don't think it's close unless Storr is even better than predicted. His improvement from December to league play was incredible.

The shot I felt most confident in towards the end of the season wasn't a Champ post-up or jump shot. It wasn't even a Posh drive. 

It was a Wheeler head fake at the three, a dribble to the key and a pull-up J. The man was money almost every time on that.

And the only reason that shot exists is because defenders know they have to play him tight out beyond the 3. 

Hope he returns. 

we are sju post=464652 said:
Mase falls in love with players hard. When he grows attached he only sees the good

Lol if I’m not objective then you’re not a funny guy!

Amaseinyourface post=464654 said:

Lol if I’m not objective then you’re not a funny guy!

Wusu no Larry Wright that is for sure 

Wusu has developed a very good three point shot but he needs a lot of space to get it off and hit it. Williams shot wasn't that different, he barely hopped when shooting a three, but in his last year at SJU he hit for a very nice percentage. For both guys it is hard for them to be volume three-point shooters and effective.  Oh, and I like both players a lot for their overall game - I just don't feel like three-point shooting is as strong for them as percentages show, the style they use dictates they pick their spots.

MainMan post=464649 said:

We return two of the better 3 pt shooters in the Big East in Wheeler and Wusu.  If they return...

For the love of God, Wusu is not one of the better shooters in the Big East!  Justin Simon shot over 40 percent from deep his first year here.  Did you say the same about him?

My apologies. 
I'm basing my comment off his 3 point % which is a statistical rate that measures how often a basketball enters the cylinder (aka "hoop") and exits the bottom when it is shot beyond what they refer to as the "three point line" - an oval-shaped line that emanates from the baseline and curves a few feet beyond the "key."
Dylan made roughly 4 out of every 10 shots he took from this point on the floor, which places him among the top returning players in the Big East. 
Again, my bad.

Last edited:
Boo Harvey post=464658 said:
MainMan post=464649 said:

For the love of God, Wusu is not one of the better shooters in the Big East!  Justin Simon shot over 40 percent from deep his first year here.  Did you say the same about him?

Yikes. Justin Simon was 15 for 36 and was never guarded within 5 feet. Wusu was 37 for 99.

Must be a joke.....Mase is about as objective as it gets.

JohnnyFan post=464661 said:

Must be a joke.....Mase is about as objective as it gets.

I appreciate that Johnny, but I took WWASJU’s comment as lighthearted. Although seeing as though he is one of my favorite posters, I’d never say otherwise ;)

Storr is obviously the wildcard here. 
But since I've never seen him play, I'm just going with the players I know. 
Here's an optimistic take: 

PG Posh: This is his team. He has a chance to be BE first-team player if he makes the leap of playing more in control, assuming a more vocal leadership position and not deferring to others on the court. I am assuming he'll be healthy and will continue to wreak havoc on defense, be one of our best offensive responders and baseline players. He is a warrior and will go down as one of the best PGs this program has seen. 

SG Pinzon: Goddamn this kid is smooth. Is he a PG? Is he a SG? Who cares? He's a guard with a good handle, good size, great body control and decent decision making for the limited time we saw him. Inject some confidence into his veins and we may have a gem here. 

SF: Wheeler: I wrote him off in December and am glad to have egg all over my face. Somehow he became one of our best offensive players in a matter of moments. Great size. Great body control. But it's his shot that turned heads. He was the best outside shooter on the team by far and his pump fakes and dribbles drives were a great weapon. Will have to improve even more when defenses key on him next season.

PF: Stanley: Please stay. Pretty please. Kid played like a boneheaded freshman plenty of times. But he played extremely hard and was willing to do the dirty work that others simply didn't. Has a nice 10-15 foot baseline jumper. We've been clamoring for Ty Grant 2.0 for 20+ years. We may have him. 

C: Soriano: Like Wheeler, he improved a ton as the season went on. He has the work ethic if you simply look at his body at Fordham vs here. He's one of the bigger bigs in the BE capable of backing down just about anyone one-on-one in the post. He's shown a nice baby hook and pretty decent hands. Defensively he should get better, stay on his feet more, stop going for blocks and using his big body to block out better. Looking at a 20/20 or 25/15 split with Nywie. 

Last edited:
My fellow Romans, I mean my fellow Redman fans: consider this …

1.Roman statesman Plautus:
Patience, then, is the best remedy against affliction.
1.Ben Franklin: he who can have patience can have what he will!.

Fellow West Point grad - Dwight David Eisenhower (we-reading a bio on him) was frustrated and discouraged when he spent all of World War I stateside primarily at Gettysburg PA.
He was doing administrative work and logistical work and little did he know that all that experience during World War I would suit him well when he became commanding general in World War II and then our president.

I am very satisfied with Mike Anderson, Mike Craig, and our new president. Of course it’s disappointing we haven’t done better but there’s always the variables of patience and time.

I also recall the well-known story that fellow West Point grad Mike K had several disappointing seasons when he first became Duke coach. In fact some Duke people wanted to fire him.

We SJU fans share one thing in common with Mike Anderson, Mike Craig, and our new president: we all want to be competitive, make the NCAA‘s, and shoot for a championship! If Villanova can do it so can we.

Blessings
SS& G

[attachment=2543]C259A427-1CF4-4054-81D1-6FB8A7996155.jpeg[/attachment]

I’m pretty much the opposite of main man and not at all optimistic about next season but if he is correct that Stanley will be hitting jump shots from 15 ft and the combo of Soriano and Nywie average 25 points and 15 rebounds SJU will not only dance but will play the second week.

I like Wusu as other than a guard.  Cannot dribble and see the floor simultaneously and overall handle is weak.  Classic point forward, think Loscutoff, Oakley, Paul Silas.  Running a defender into a Wusu pick weakens the defense, it's like body punches in boxing.  After a while the defense is so busy avoiding the baseline picks that Wusu gets open for corner 3's late in the game.

MainMan post=464659 said:
My apologies. 
I'm basing my comment off his 3 point % which is a statistical rate that measures how often a basketball enters the cylinder (aka "hoop") and exits the bottom when it is shot beyond what they refer to as the "three point line" - an oval-shaped line that emanates from the baseline and curves a few feet beyond the "key."
Dylan made roughly 4 out of every 10 shots he took from this point on the floor, which places him among the top returning players in the Big East. 
Again, my bad.

My point is that percentages alone don’t determine whether one is a good three point shooter.  I wasn’t comparing Wusu to Simon directly,  but was instead using Simon as an illustration of how percentages don’t tell the whole story.  Over the course of this past  season,  Wusu demonstrated an ability to knock down a wide open three with some frequency when his feet were set.  That does not make him one of the best shooters in the Big East.  Not even close 

One final example which I hope will resonate.  Wusu shot a substantially higher three point percentage than Champagnie this past year.  The reasons for this I think are self-evident.  Few if any rational actor would argue that Wusu is a better shooter than Champagnie.

Last edited:
Back