2022-23 Season

Amaseinyourface post=464660 said:
Boo Harvey post=464658 said:
MainMan post=464649 said:

Not an alum post=464623 said:
Love the optimism but returning the same team without its best player doesn’t do it for me…

need serious talent upgrades at the 2 and 3. The league will allow us to shoot 3’s/long jumpers At will and we’ll miss them

We return two of the better 3 pt shooters in the Big East in Wheeler and Wusu.  If they return...

For the love of God, Wusu is not one of the better shooters in the Big East!  Justin Simon shot over 40 percent from deep his first year here.  Did you say the same about him?

Yikes. Justin Simon was 15 for 36 and was never guarded within 5 feet. Wusu was 37 for 99.

I think Justin hit his first eight or nine threes that year!

I think that before we determine how the team will do next year, one has to consider… who in conference can they beat and why?

Creighton, Marquette have young teams, a strong foundation and another good recruiting class coming in. Nova, Yukon, are still bringing in high level recruits and will again be strong. The Hall is recruiting well and will always be a challenge. While Xavier had a disappointing season, they still have most of their good players back and with the right coach (Chris Mack perhaps) will be a handful. DePaul was very competitive with marginal players and they are getting some good recruits. That leaves Georgetown Butler and Providence. Providence will have the most turn over but good recruits are coming. Butler is an unknown and how much can Georgetown get better? 

soSo realistically the only wins one can count on might be the last theee teams mentioned with a few others. That does not spell much improvement to me. Plus, Anderson won’t have the depth in experience next year at guard that he had this year. Are we going to hear another, “the team will be ready by February”? Is Anderson going to improve on end game strategies which as another poster mentioned cost the team several wins? 

While Champ didn’t have a great year, most of the wins in the BE were due to his play. The only way I see a more successful season is if some STUDS show up that are difference makers. 

Jermane Attoil post=464693 said:
I think that before we determine how the team will do next year, one has to consider… who in conference can they beat and why?

Creighton, Marquette have young teams, a strong foundation and another good recruiting class coming in. Nova, Yukon, are still bringing in high level recruits and will again be strong. The Hall is recruiting well and will always be a challenge. While Xavier had a disappointing season, they still have most of their good players back and with the right coach (Chris Mack perhaps) will be a handful. DePaul was very competitive with marginal players and they are getting some good recruits. That leaves Georgetown Butler and Providence. Providence will have the most turn over but good recruits are coming. Butler is an unknown and how much can Georgetown get better? 

soSo realistically the only wins one can count on might be the last theee teams mentioned with a few others. That does not spell much improvement to me. Plus, Anderson won’t have the depth in experience next year at guard that he had this year. Are we going to hear another, “the team will be ready by February”? Is Anderson going to improve on end game strategies which as another poster mentioned cost the team several wins? 

While Champ didn’t have a great year, most of the wins in the BE were due to his play. The only way I see a more successful season is if some STUDS show up that are difference makers. 

Uconn loses multiple key guys. Nova loses multiple key guys. Xavier loses its two best players. Hall loses multiple key guys. Providence loses close to everybody. Would expect all 5 to take a step back.

The teams we were better than I feel confident staying ahead of. Marquette and Creighton have a good combination of guys coming back and coming in, catching them will be tough.

St. John's loses its best player off a team that did not make either NIT or NCAA.  I don't care what those teams ahead of them lose right now SJU simply does not deserve the benefit of the doubt with regards to what they have coming back.  UCONN and Nova have proven they can lose key players and come back as good if not better.  And that is because they recruit at a higher level then SJU right now.  UCONN lost the best player in the conference James Bouknight after just 2 years and they are seeded higher this year in the NCAAs then they were last year when they had Bouknight.  Creighton lost their top 7 players basically and their number 1 recruit coming into this year and they excelled.  

Also I would not assume teams like Georgetown and DePaul are going to stand pat below SJU this coming year.  So we should not just be concerned with the teams that finished higher than SJU.

Again as another poster said I love the optimism but just don't see it.  The fact is coming into this year there was actual evidence of optimism and look how that turned out.  Now we are told it will better?  Not on paper and not right now.  But there is time we'll see.

I think we will need a minimum of 2 high impact, proven transfers - otherwise we are probably looking at an 8th or 9th place finish in conference.  And that's if we keep some of the current key players currently on the roster.  

Until the transfer game and guys deciding to go pro  is over and that goes for the entire conference not just St. John's it is very hard to make predictions.

For the fun of it If we retain our core of Posh, Wusu, Wheeler, Nwiye and Soriano to go with Pinzon and Stanley and adding King, Storr and Traore along with two good players who need to be better then Smith and Coburn could give us a team as good as this years. If we get some luck maybe we are a bubble team. That is the best case scenario that I can see. There are many other scenarios of course and most of them don't turn out as well.

I find your lack of faith disturbing. 

Do not underestimate the power of a fully healthy Posh. 

[URL]https://www.google.com/url?sa[/URL]=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwivoKC4h872AhXGjYkEHZw5AUMQwqsBegQIDBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DF1xAUfdK9FE&usg=AOvVaw0Z9HVT88AJupPSdKJBc3TB

fordham96 post=464696 said:
St. John's loses its best player off a team that did not make either NIT or NCAA.  I don't care what those teams ahead of them lose right now SJU simply does not deserve the benefit of the doubt with regards to what they have coming back.  UCONN and Nova have proven they can lose key players and come back as good if not better.  And that is because they recruit at a higher level then SJU right now.  UCONN lost the best player in the conference James Bouknight after just 2 years and they are seeded higher this year in the NCAAs then they were last year when they had Bouknight.  Creighton lost their top 7 players basically and their number 1 recruit coming into this year and they excelled.  

Also I would not assume teams like Georgetown and DePaul are going to stand pat below SJU this coming year.  So we should not just be concerned with the teams that finished higher than SJU.

Again as another poster said I love the optimism but just don't see it.  The fact is coming into this year there was actual evidence of optimism and look how that turned out.  Now we are told it will better?  Not on paper and not right now.  But there is time we'll see.

Last season as a whole, the BE got significantly better during the off season. I don’t see that being the case this year.

To losing Champ: We would 1000000% be better off with him coming back. Doesn’t mean we can’t be better next year than we were this year with him. Just look at your uconn and creighton examples. 

Last edited:
Andrew post=464700 said:
Until the transfer game and guys deciding to go pro  is over and that goes for the entire conference not just St. John's it is very hard to make predictions.

For the fun of it If we retain our core of Posh, Wusu, Wheeler, Nwiye and Soriano to go with Pinzon and Stanley and adding King, Storr and Traore along with two good players who need to be better then Smith and Coburn could give us a team as good as this years. If we get some luck maybe we are a bubble team. That is the best case scenario that I can see. There are many other scenarios of course and most of them don't turn out as well.
Doesn’t seem like much to look forward to yet most are happy with coach Anderson’s return? Truly the bar/expectations seem to get lower each year. 

MainMan post=464702 said:

Some people just don't watch enough basketball to know what they're looking at.

But the good news is there are also people who think that 0-20 Georgetown "played tough" while setting a record for futility in league play that will never be surpassed.

Unless the league expands./media/kunena/emoticons/smile.png

lawmanfan post=464823 said:
MainMan post=464702 said:

Some people just don't watch enough basketball to know what they're looking at.

But the good news is there are also people who think that 0-20 Georgetown "played tough" while setting a record for futility in league play that will never be surpassed.
There are a lot of people who watch, but don't think about things at a higher level.  An example: I have a friend who has been to over 100 baseball games...who will occasionally ask why the run doesn't count when the runner from third touched home before a forceout was recorded at first for the third out.  /media/kunena/emoticons/wassat.png /media/kunena/emoticons/blink.png

Knight post=464824 said:

Theoretically possible to post a higher number of losses, but impossible to surpass a .000 league winning percentage. 
Though I agree that (for example) throwing a perfect game over 10 innings would be more impressive than throwing a perfect game over 9 innings.

lawmanfan post=464874 said:
Knight post=464824 said:

Theoretically possible to post a higher number of losses, but impossible to surpass a .000 league winning percentage. 
Though I agree that (for example) throwing a perfect game over 10 innings would be more impressive than throwing a perfect game over 9 innings.

However, if Mike Jarvis is your coach, there are forfeits!

Knight post=464893 said:
lawmanfan post=464874 said:
Knight post=464824 said:

However, if Mike Jarvis is your coach, there are forfeits!

Yikes!!!!  Another mention of the jarvii./media/kunena/emoticons/w00t.png

Knight post=464824 said:
If they expand to 12 they'd likely go to two divisions, which would only allow for 16 losses. /media/kunena/emoticons/cool.png

Thinking Providence and the Hall are going to take big steps back next year.  Probably Xavier as well though if Sean Miller lands there you have to assume they will restock.  Not worried about Butler or Georgetown. 

Think the way too early prediction would be Nova and Creighton at the top of the league.  Maybe Marquette in third. Figure Butler and Georgetown fighting it out for the basement. Everything in between is going to be wide open.

If we return our key players and add a couple of necessary pieces, SJU could be in the mix for top third of the league next year. 

Way too early, but not at all impossible. 

With all due respect that is a ton of ifs and assumptions that seem to all favor SJU.  Does that mean you have an agenda?

The other problem is "return our best players" means what?  Champagnie?  Because he is SJU's best player and he is not coming back and there is a huge drop off of talent after him and Posh so not sure what returning "best players" mean.

The last point is I would hope SJU would be at a place in his 4th year that we would not be "hoping" that other teams are slipping back and losing talent so maybe SJU can crack the top 4-5.  

Maybe I just have an agenda but I hoped at this point that we did not give a damn what happened at another school because SJU had the culture and talent including incoming talent that it did not matter.

lawmanfan post=464999
Thinking Providence and the Hall are going to take big steps back next year.  Probably Xavier as well though if Sean Miller lands there you have to assume they will restock.  Not worried about Butler or Georgetown. 

Think the way too early prediction would be Nova and Creighton at the top of the league.  Maybe Marquette in third. Figure Butler and Georgetown fighting it out for the basement. Everything in between is going to be wide open.

If we return our key players and add a couple of necessary pieces, SJU could be in the mix for top third of the league next year. 

Way too early, but not at all impossible. 

Back