2022-23 Season

Amaseinyourface post=464601 said:
MainMan post=464597 said:
Wheeler and Wusu would be among the top 10 returning 3pt.% shooters in the Big East.

Soriano's low post-game improved immensely. Nywie has great hands, great athleticism and works hard every game. 

Everyone and their grandma thinks Pizon is special.

Add a First Team All BE caliber PG in Posh..... and we're not completely doggie-doo next year if everyone we need returns. 

Numbers are only numbers, but there isn’t a returning backcourt in the league with the production of Posh and Wusu.

For the most part, Wusu struggled immensely in Big East play.  So much so that he lost his starting job for a spell.  I think Wusu can be an effective complimentary player, but I don’t see him as anywhere near an all league player.  As for his outside shooting, Wusu demonstrated an ability to hit the open three (he basically has a set shot), but I would not call him a high end shooter and don’t foresee him ever being one.

Boo Harvey post=464608 said:
Wheeler and Wusu would be among the top 10 returning 3pt.% shooters in the Big East.

Soriano's low post-game improved immensely. Nywie has great hands, great athleticism and works hard every game. 

Add a First Team All BE caliber PG in Posh..... and we're not completely doggie-doo next year if everyone we need returns. 

Numbers are only numbers, but there isn’t a returning backcourt in the league with the production of Posh and Wusu.

For the most part, Wusu struggled immensely in Big East play.  So much so that he lost his starting job for a spell.  I think Wusu can be an effective complimentary player, but I don’t see him as anywhere near an all league player.  As for his outside shooting, Wusu demonstrated an ability to hit the open three (he basically has a set shot), but I would not call him a high end shooter and don’t foresee him ever being one.

“For the most part, Wusu struggled immensely in Big East play.”

Respect you Boo but damn that is tough.  Immensely for the most part?

#s in BE play
8.6 points
4.2 rebounds
4.1 assists
2.2 TO
1.2 steals
38% from 3 on 3 attempts

In terms of BE guards that’s top Ten in assists, rebounds, steals, and 3pt%. Does everybody in the BE struggle that much? 

Where I’d say he struggled immensely was finishing at the rim, but he can get there and with his strength im not sure why he couldn’t improve there.  And at times he turned it over too much but it’s worth noting he didn’t have a single multi-turnover game the last 7 games of the season and still managed a very impressive 1.86 A:TO.

I’ll say this, if Pinzon comes back next year and is clearly better than Wusu, then we have ourselves a top shelf backcourt. Im not expecting that to be the case, more like a really good backcourt. 

Last edited:
Amaseinyourface post=464620 said:
Boo Harvey post=464608 said:

“For the most part, Wusu struggled immensely in Big East play.”

Respect you Boo but damn that is tough.  Immensely for the most part?

#s in BE play
8.6 points
4.2 rebounds
4.1 assists
2.2 TO
1.2 steals
38% from 3 on 3 attempts

In terms of BE guards that’s top Ten in assists, rebounds, steals, and 3pt%. Does everybody in the BE struggle that much? 

Where I’d say he struggled immensely was finishing at the rim, but he can get there and with his strength im not sure why he couldn’t improve there.  And at times he turned it over too much but it’s worth noting he didn’t have a single multi-turnover game the last 7 games of the season and still managed a very impressive 1.86 A:TO.

I’ll say this, if Pinzon comes back next year and is clearly better than Wusu, then we have ourselves a top shelf backcourt. Im not expecting that to be the case, more like a really good backcourt. 

Wusu shot 61% from the free throw line last year. An area that needs to be improved.

Love the optimism but returning the same team without its best player doesn’t do it for me…

need serious talent upgrades at the 2 and 3. The league will allow us to shoot 3’s/long jumpers At will and we’ll miss them

Agreed.  I will let it play out but I don't see how people can be so optimistic about a team that brings in 1 top 100 recruit and loses it's best player from team that finished 17-15 with him and assumes they are going to be better.  

We'll see how the roster pans out with portal and maybe a late recruit or two but this is a bottom third of the BE roster on paper.  

Last edited:
I place more value on experience than star rankings.

Guys that looked like bums in November and December improved immensely by years end.

Also our best player was a mess this year.

Love him. Wish he was coming back. But man, he just wasn’t the same.

They lost to Pittsburgh without him at home.  If he had chosen to stay in the draft I don't think they would have gone 0-19 like Georgetown but they would have finished tenth just above Georgetown and their only wins may have been Georgetown.

MainMan post=464628
I place more value on experience than star rankings.

Guys that looked like bums in November and December improved immensely by years end.

Also our best player was a mess this year.

Love him. Wish he was coming back. But man, he just wasn’t the same.

Our best player is overrated. He can shoot (sorta/kinda) when selective with his shot, and he rebounds well (probably his best attribute). However, he plays soft and can't be counted on in a big spot. Also, tired of seeing him bend over to get loose balls instead of diving onto the floor to secure them.If everyone of our key players comes back, we will be a better team next year.

I feel like we are about 2 weeks premature from even beginning to have this discussion. I believe it was mentioned earlier on this board the timeline from last year of when our players announced they were transferring, and it was by end of March. Once we have a better feeling about who will even be here (it's pretty much a guarantee there will be multiple transfers each year), then we can know what base we have to begin with. 

Mase....thanks for posting Wusu's BE stats.  I must admit, they are better than I thought because I found him frustrating to watch this year.  In addition to free throw shooting and finishing at the rim, there were some ugly ill-timed turnovers.  He often made the amazing pass, followed by an unfortunate decision.  This could improve with mere experience.

Overall, I have never been super high on Wusu's game and believe, on a tournament team, he is our 2nd shooting guard.  That said, he is a talented, hard-working, positive teammate....so, I'll sign up for that.

It is never too early to start a thread like this. There were white flags were waving after the Pitt loss. 

We are…all about next season

JohnnyFan post=464633 said:
Mase....thanks for posting Wusu's BE stats.  I must admit, they are better than I thought because I found him frustrating to watch this year.  In addition to free throw shooting and finishing at the rim, there were some ugly ill-timed turnovers.  He often made the amazing pass, followed by an unfortunate decision.  This could improve with mere experience.

Overall, I have never been super high on Wusu's game and believe, on a tournament team, he is our 2nd shooting guard.  That said, he is a talented, hard-working, positive teammate....so, I'll sign up for that.

All fair. I’d personally say putting him at SG is the worst spot for him. He’s a playmaker first and foremost.

The biggest shortcoming the team needs to address, and I must admit, I have no idea how they are going to do it, is end of game execution.  We lost so many games because of poor execution down the stretch of games.  My guess is the cause is a combination of coaching and not having players with that killer instinct to get a bucket or draw a foul (and make the FTs) down the stretch.  If the team largely returns the same, while the players may have more experience, I didn't see anyone this season with the clutch gene down the stretch of games.  Maybe that improves some with experience, but I wouldn't bet on it.  Like I said, not sure how to fix it, but to me, it is our biggest issue and could easily be the difference from bottom third to top third of the standings.

I think there's a good chance that Wusu is not the starting SG next season and he's a super sub. 

But then again, I thought Stef Smith was going to be a difference-maker.

My point is don't listen to me.

we are sju post=464637 said:
Not going to lie Anderson to Tulsa and Holloway to St John’s was what I was hoping for.

No denying what Holloway has built. 

But I swear St. Peters and Monmouth set the game back 70 years in the MAAC championship. One of the ugliest games I've watched all year and I'm an STJ fan.

Amaseinyourface post=464635 said:

All fair. I’d personally say putting him at SG is the worst spot for him. He’s a playmaker first and foremost.

Not speculating that he's leaving, but in you opinion, if Wusu were to transfer out this year, do you think there would be high major interest? Or would he have to settle for a mid major?

Not an alum post=464623 said:
Love the optimism but returning the same team without its best player doesn’t do it for me…

need serious talent upgrades at the 2 and 3. The league will allow us to shoot 3’s/long jumpers At will and we’ll miss them
I was thinking about this as well... Not minimizing the loss Julian- he will be missed, how can he not? But, if we are able to return 80% of the roster (9/11 of the guys) i believe that will put us ahead of a lot of BE teams. Did a roster breakdown of potential returning backcourts next yr in the BE on another thread here- and we do look towards the top there. Given the improvement of Soriano/Nyiwe towards the end of the season- optimism should exist. 

Replacing Julian can't be done- its rare that anyone can step in and provide production like that. What i am hoping for is the general improvement of most those on the roster. Should* we return a bulk of the guys, we will be a veteran laden team with a lot of "system" experience. 

I think we'll be better next year if Posh, Wusu, Pinzon, Soriano, Nyiwe and Wheeler all return. Add 1 or 2 shooters from the portal and we'll contend for an NCAA berth. Losing Julian sucks, but the over reliance on him in big games cost us. Our offense got stagnant handing the ball to one player who wasn't making shots. I think that becomes less of an issue next year, and we play good team ball.

Not an alum post=464623 said:

You are so right. Unless they bring in some top talent it will be another doghouse year for st John's and hopefully the last for Anderson

Back