2022 - 2023 Schedule

General question about scheduling. I have no idea so I'm just throwing it out there. Will we ever play mid majors on the road anymore or does that not happen anymore? Figure they would be more beneficial, but also huge risk. I remember road games @ Fordham and @ Niagara in recent memory, but can't recall any recently. Wasn't sure if that was a thing major teams stopped doing.

That's not true.

Plenty of programs get invited without flashy resumes.

Also not being in an exempt tourney at all in 2020-21 had nothing to do with lack of success.

Pre season NIT has long been a staple for SJU lack of recent success is not a big concern there.

If u think those Tourney's prefer Butler and SHU you're wrong.

Look at Rutgers they are being killed for their non conference scheduling. You think they are doing it because of no opportunities? Especially with their recent success. It is precisely because of their recent success people are criticizing them.

And none of that excuses the lack of scheduling tough non conference games. Duke played SJU for years including when SJU sucked so what?

What's not true? That you need some semblance of success to be a big time program, be it wins and losses, academic reputation, fan/booster notoriety, media exposure (including via football) etc.... Are you saying that STJ can just will itself to national relevance in absence of these other factors?

So again I ask the honest question. Do you think STJ's is turning these tourneys down? I don't think there's necessarily a favorite between SHU, Depaul, Marquette and STJ at this point. Butler still has a high BB profile from two finals in a row less than 15 years ago and 10 trips to the dance in a recent 12 year period vs. 4 trips in 20 years. If you think STJ is on equal par with them nationally at this time you are flipping dreaming and need to get out of NY more often.

But back to the point none of the four teams I mentioned are highly desirable to these big tourneys. In cases when they get four top SEC, ACC, B1G or PAC/BIG 12 teams they need to fill out a projected great pair of semis the tourney may not need the Nova/UConn/Creighton/Xavier cache(very successful BE programs including a few that travel very well, which STJ does not) and will fill out the tourney with such undesirables. Do you think STJ got asked and said no? If not what's the excuse? Why is it happening, or do you just want to whine that it's happening and leave it at that?

And Duke scheduled SJU for just as many years as it took to realize they could get 2 or more high profile games at the Garden per year without scheduling SJU. Again, what's your point on that one? Or do you think STJ is turning them down for a relaunch of the rivalry as well.

I won't speak to Rutgers because I have no idea what Rutgers is scheduling nor what their fans are saying. Don't know any Rutgers grads or fans.

Luca Virgilio, former SJ staff member, is still at Nebraska as Director of Basketball Strategies and Business Opportunities, obviously handling NIL stuff

Luca Virgilio, former SJ staff member, is still at Nebraska as Director of Basketball Strategies and Business Opportunities, obviously handling NIL stuff
Will never forget meeting Luca , After visiting Italy in 2016, my family was waiting to board the plane in Milan to come home

Luca put his St. John’s duffel bag down barely five feet from me went over and said hello. just a little conversation

Per Rothstein:

Nebraska's Wilhelm Breidenbach (knee) is doing non-contact work and hopes to be fully cleared by August, per Fred Hoiberg.<br><br>Former Top-100 recruit only appeared in 10 games last season as a freshman due to injury.

So if I recall correctly we have scheduled 9 out of our 11 non-conference games including:
Merrimack
Niagra
Nebraska
New Hampshire
Barclay classic where we play 2 of Syracuse, Temple, Richmond
Florida State (road game)
LIU
Iowa State (road game)

Any rumors on who might be final two non-conference opponents? Would like to see one local (maybe Hofstra, St. Peter's or Manhattan) be one of them along with one power five conference opponent (maybe Notre Dame) at MSG.

25 conference games and 5 games vs non low/mid majors with varying degrees of strength.

I think the schedule is good enough where it won’t be a negative talking point which has often been the case for us. Could it be better? Absolutely.

25 conference games and 5 games vs non low/mid majors with varying degrees of strength.

I think the schedule is good enough where it won’t be a negative talking point which has often been the case for us. Could it be better? Absolutely.
Can’t edit for some reason but 20* conference games.

So if I recall correctly we have scheduled 9 out of our 11 non-conference games including:
Merrimack
Niagra
Nebraska
New Hampshire
Barclay classic where we play 2 of Syracuse, Temple, Richmond
Florida State (road game)
LIU
Iowa State (road game)

Any rumors on who might be final two non-conference opponents? Would like to see one local (maybe Hofstra, St. Peter's or Manhattan) be one of them along with one power five conference opponent (maybe Notre Dame) at MSG.

Actually there is but one team, Florida State that is projected as a top 40 team in some pre season polls. If they don't play the Cuse, who is not considered to be that good, the schedule actually looks weaker then last year's which included Kansas and Indiana. Let's hope they pick up a top tier team with the remaining openings. If a local game could be scheduled, it would be great to play Iona although that would seem to be a no win situation.

Actually there is but one team, Florida State that is projected as a top 40 team in some pre season polls. If they don't play the Cuse, who is not considered to be that good, the schedule actually looks weaker then last year's which included Kansas and Indiana. Let's hope they pick up a top tier team with the remaining openings. If a local game could be scheduled, it would be great to play Iona although that would seem to be a no win situation.
Not sure about the ceiling, but I think the floor is higher. At least by name anyway. I assume Merrimack and New Hampshire are bad, but I don't find the names repulsive to look at.

Back