2022 - 2023 Schedule

Ehhh still a little iffy. Let's see who they get in the Big 12 and Big10/Gavitt Games. Assuming they are playing in both hopefully they are opponents projected to be good. An upgrade from last year assuming they get a decent B10 and B12 opponent. Because they won't be projected at the top of the BE don't expect them to get Kansas again.

Richmond/Temple/Syracuse are not bad but keep in mind only Richmond made the NCAA's last year and that was because they won the A-10 Tourney. Not one of the 3 would have made it as an at large. You hope Syracuse a traditional power has a bounce back year and I think they will. Again to be fair not bad teams, we are not talking about low level mid majors certainly.

FSU has been real good in recent years last year they collapsed after some injuries. But again hope for a bounce back. But right now outside of Richmond who made it only because they won the A-10 Tourney SJU has no one on the schedule non-conference that made the NCAA's.

Again the Empire Classic is a decent field and they should be in an exempt tourney every year, no excuse. But I would also like to see them play in some of the bigger one's available.

Just to give you an idea and who knows if Boeheim will still be coaching them in 2023 but Cuse is in Maui in November of 2023. Look at that field: Gonzaga, Kansas, Marquette, Purdue, Syracuse, Tennessee, UCLA and host Chaminade. Damn that is a freaking field....
you have thought of all negative outcomes for our upcoming schedule, well done.

Yeah I must have missed that.

I do like how they and the Battle for Atlantis does it. They each have 1 team from the Big 5+BE conferences. In other words 1 team each from a top 6 conference. Then a team or 2 teams (when Chaminade is not in it) from a conference like Mountain West (SD St) or Big West (Gonzaga) or A-10 or AAC. Pretty hard to not have a good field every year when you have that type of set up. And then throw in that it is Maui or the Bahamas and who doesn't want to go there.

Agreed but that means that it's like once a decade that each BE team should expect to be in the field. So since SJU was in Maui in '15 and Bahamas in '16 shouldn't expect to be in there every other year. All I'm saying is for folks to understand that scheduling, like pimping, ain't easy.

Agreed but that means that it's like once a decade that each BE team should expect to be in the field. So since SJU was in Maui in '15 and Bahamas in '16 shouldn't expect to be in there every other year. All I'm saying is for folks to understand that scheduling, like pimping, ain't easy.
No not necessarily. You can't play in the same Tourney more than once in a 4 year span. But that does not mean the Tourney tries to land EVERY team from that conference over a period of time. Those Tourney's usually only look for a handful of teams and basically rotate them. I mean Duke literally plays in the Maui Classic every 4 years, meaning like EVERY time they are eligible. The Maui Classic is not looking to invite all 15 ACC teams over a 15 year period or every BE team over a 11 year period. Mostly because they only want the good or best teams to come. And so that is why Duke plays Maui every 4 years and a team like Clemson almost never plays.

Again though I use Maui and Atlantis as examples but there are others.

No not necessarily. You can't play in the same Tourney more than once in a 4 year span. But that does not mean the Tourney tries to land EVERY team from that conference over a period of time. Those Tourney's usually only look for a handful of teams and basically rotate them. I mean Duke literally plays in the Maui Classic every 4 years, meaning like EVERY time they are eligible. The Maui Classic is not looking to invite all 15 ACC teams over a 15 year period or every BE team over a 11 year period. Mostly because they only want the good or best teams to come. And so that is why Duke plays Maui every 4 years and a team like Clemson almost never plays.

Again though I use Maui and Atlantis as examples but there are others.
Yeah I was gonna qualify that statement. And use Duke as the example. Let's just say SJU is far more Wake/Clemson than Duke as far as national recognition goes. Nova and Uconn are welcome whenever based on rep I bet. They will take the BE spots 40% of the time. Less for SJU.

Yeah I was gonna qualify that statement. And use Duke as the example. Let's just say SJU is far more Wake/Clemson than Duke as far as national recognition goes. Nova and Uconn are welcome whenever based on rep I bet. They will take the BE spots 40% of the time. Less for SJU.
Yes and no. Yes in terms of recent success but no since the Big East doesn't have two blue blood brand names like Duke and North Carolina. I mean Butler is playing in Atlantis next year as the BE representative. Seton Hall played in it in 2019. SJU can certainly compete on name recognition with either one of them from a BE perspective.

Without extending this If you look at Lavin's last 4 years and Mullin's first year SJU played in the following pre-season tourney's:

2011-2K Sports Classic with Arizona, Texas A&M, Miss St.
2012-Charleston Classic with Baylor and Murray St.
2013-Barclay's Center Classic with Penn St and Georgia Tech (not great but they played Wisconsin to open season and Syracuse both top rated non conference teams.
2014-Pre-Season NIT-beat Minnesota lost to Gonzaga in final
2015-Played in Maui Classic arguably the most prestigious exempt Tourney.

I'll take the Empire Classic at this point but larger point is there is no excuse for not playing in one every year and occasionally playing in a prestigious one.

Yes and no. Yes in terms of recent success but no since the Big East doesn't have two blue blood brand names like Duke and North Carolina. I mean Butler is playing in Atlantis next year as the BE representative. Seton Hall played in it in 2019. SJU can certainly compete on name recognition with either one of them from a BE perspective.

Without extending this If you look at Lavin's last 4 years and Mullin's first year SJU played in the following pre-season tourney's:

2011-2K Sports Classic with Arizona, Texas A&M, Miss St.
2012-Charleston Classic with Baylor and Murray St.
2013-Barclay's Center Classic with Penn St and Georgia Tech (not great but they played Wisconsin to open season and Syracuse both top rated non conference teams.
2014-Pre-Season NIT-beat Minnesota lost to Gonzaga in final
2015-Played in Maui Classic arguably the most prestigious exempt Tourney.

I'll take the Empire Classic at this point but larger point is there is no excuse for not playing in one every year and occasionally playing in a prestigious one.
1000%. We’re on the way to a well balanced OOC this Fall, basically 1 game shy of a above average NET/SOS.

All scheduling is well calculated years in advance by Cragg and IMA. For example last season as much as it was knocked had a MTE (Gotham Classic) that had us, Monmouth (21-13, MAAC Runner-Up), Colgate (23-12, Patriot Champion- played Wisconsin tight Round of 64), and a Pitt team that unfortunately had a off year.

Point being if the ball bounced right for us in a inordinate amount of times last Fall we had aligned a well balanced schedule. We also accurately scheduled St. Peter’s, obviously. Couple in the B10(IU) B12 (KU) rotator and it made for a very respectable SOS/NET by season’s end.

If only we came through when in mattered most in crunch time, it was there for us. Just look at how we were flirting with the bubble deep into March when most thought we didn’t deserve it. If we pulled off 2-3 more conference wins our OOC scheduling would’ve surprisingly gotten us into the argument.

Be confident that again this year we will be well positioned to have a competitive schedule nationally. Cragg is too much of a seasoned professional to think otherwise.

Agree there are plenty of opportunities and hope the program capitalizes on them. But do believe that blue blood brands are not about what you have done for me lately. And Nova and UConn are blue blood brands whether we like it nor not. They look good on the marquis and also travel well.
Forgot the Atlantis T 2016 when Ponds was a frosh (I went).
And they played in the advocare against Oregon, Mizzou and UCF in 2017, and would have played #23 WVU if they beat Mizzou. 2018 Legends classic was a weak field but at least they won against Cal and VCU. And in 2019 they would have played #7 UVA in the HOF classic if they beat ASU.

So what are we complaining about. STJ has only played in each of the top exempt tourneys once in the last 7-8 years? The high major teams in their exempt tourneys ended up not as strong as we would have hoped? Or that STJ hasn't won enough first or second round games to play the top teams in their exempt events. Or is it that they couldn't or wouldn't schedule a big tourney in the middle of COVID (remember a top 20 matchup against Texas Tech was cancelled ).

Iowa State should be very solid again despite losing their 2 best players from this past season. They've retooled through the portal and will open as a borderline top 25 team if they land AJ Green from UNI which they are considered the heavy favorites to get

You would think that we are now going to have a home matchup (ideally MSG) for the Gavitt Games. The schedule is coming together nicely, with plenty of open slots left to strategically fill in Queens with mid majors:

Home-

Merrimack, 5-6 open games to fill in Queens

Neutral-

2/3 of Richmond/Temple/Cuse (Brooklyn, Empire Classic)

Road-

@Iowa St., @Florida St. (Miami Metro)

TBD-

Gavitt Games Big 10 Matchup

Back