2022 - 2023 Schedule

Understanding that the operating budget has taken a hit over the past 3 seasons, I can see why we need to get creative when scheduling OOC buy games. Looking back last year was creatively executed with keen strategy, projecting out where our Queens opponents could wind up yielding 3 conference regular season champs. Our NET was respectable year end. Struggling through BE schedule we still had a outside shot on the bubble.

My outside humble complaint is that there isn't a potential conference winner like last year's Monmouth, Colgate or even a St. Peter's on this year's slate that can boost our NET over time. Give us a home/home with UCF, Memphis, something. I acknowledge that this is a lot easier said than done in the current climate that is struggling to get back to where it once was, but Lafayette, CCSU and New Hampshire does nothing but get us empty wins.

It looks like we have to keep on digging down the ditch until we find water (NCAA/BET success) before we can start scheduling home/homes in Queens with formidable high major opponents. In addition the ROI of hosting OOC MSG games isn't going to happen any time soon until we garner the crowds that warrant a profit. Last year was probably at a discount scheduling Kansas in a brand new arena.

Keeping my fingers crossed on sweeping Brooklyn and splitting Iowa/Florida because our surrounding games won't allow anything other than 9-2 or 10-1.

The schedule is mediocre at best, with no marquee games at all. That's on Cragg and whoever else is involved, be it the coaching staff or whoever. Do we not recall when the Johnnies finished 4th in the Big East and STILL didn't get a dance invite cause the OOC schedule was again weak? The problem is, it's not beating the poor teams that is the problem, it's losing to any of them, with no back up marquee game to back that loss up. Talk all you want about a strong league but even in a good year the team may be a bubble team whose bubble will burst due to that schedule. Either Cragg hasn't figured this out, which is highly unlikely, or he is unable to get the job done with the schedule. Either way, this weak schedule could be a dealbreaker come tourney time.

It could absolutely be better but with expanded conference schedules everybody plays handful of ugly games. 25 games scheduled against power conference teams. Iowa state on the road. Florida state in Florida. Those are challenging games no matter how you look at them. This is not a great schedule. It’s also not one that will cost us a bid assuming we are good enough to do so. Let’s not forget we have 2 brand new starters plus a freshmen everyone expects to contribute.

If the option sju was given was Iowa at the Garden or Nebraska on campus, then I think that would be a mistake. But do any of us really know if that’s exactly how it went down? I don’t think this schedule is worth criticizing CMA over personally, but I get it if I’m a season ticker holder and you’re looking at maybe only 3-4 MSG games.

It could absolutely be better but with expanded conference schedules everybody plays handful of ugly games. 25 games scheduled against power conference teams. Iowa state on the road. Florida state in Florida. Those are challenging games no matter how you look at them. This is not a great schedule. It’s also not one that will cost us a bid assuming we are good enough to do so. Let’s not forget we have 2 brand new starters plus a freshmen everyone expects to contribute.

If the option sju was given was Iowa at the Garden or Nebraska on campus, then I think that would be a mistake. But do any of us really know if that’s exactly how it went down? I don’t think this schedule is worth criticizing CMA over personally, but I get it if I’m a season ticker holder and you’re looking at maybe only 3-4 MSG games.
Yes not sure about Iowa but the school wanted the game yo ge on campus and most of the other schools wouldn’t they wanted msg that’s how we got stuck with Nebraska

Yes not sure about Iowa but the school wanted the game yo ge on campus and most of the other schools wouldn’t they wanted msg that’s how we got stuck with Nebraska
Thanks. But do we know if they turned something down or if they were just happy with how it turned out?

Don’t know exactly. Just know the school was INSISTING on carnesseca and only a couple teams would consider they. This comes from one of our 114 crew who heard it from impeccable source
If they would have gave us a garden game, then that is no good.

It’s abundantly clear that the budget can’t afford a potential single game ticket sale bust at MSG. Bringing in 8k for Iowa at MSG rent doesn’t add up. Win consistently and we won’t have this problem any longer in the near and long term in Midtown.

Don’t know exactly. Just know the school was INSISTING on carnesseca and only a couple teams would consider they. This comes from one of our 114 crew who heard it from impeccable source
It's really weird and sad that the powers that be had such little faith in our ability to draw in MSG against a Big 10 opponent.

It's really weird and sad that the powers that be had such little faith in our ability to draw in MSG against a Big 10 opponent.
We played a big ten opponent at MSG in the 90s. I think it was a Sat afternoon game and the attendance was abysmal.

We are at the mercy of MSG when it comes to time/date of games like this. You know the rangers, knicks, concerts and other big-draw events are going to get primo spots. As Panther said earlier in the thread we have to start winning and that will draw the crowds and prompt msg to set up some marquis ooc games

Like many, I am disappointed in the schedule. Given our current roster, this was the year to go a little bold. I am guessing we will have a younger and less experienced team next year, so I don't really get this approach.

That said, we will control our destiny. Take care of business in conference and there is obviously a path to dance.

Back