2022 - 2023 Schedule

As to complaints about lack of MSG presence on the schedule, in the past our MSG presence was helped by "invitations" to pre-season NIT, Coaches vs. Cancer, Holiday festival, etc. Also the members of the "old" Big East were more conducive to SJU "hiring" MSG as high attendence was almost guaranteed with schools like ND, Cuse, Rutgers (with local rivalry) and Miami. Nova, Gtown, Conn and Seton Hall (with local rivalry) are the remaining teams that have draw power to justify cost of "renting" the Garden. While good basketball teams such as Butler, Xavier, Creighton, DePaul, Providence and Marquette can be exiting games, they don't put fannies in the seats. PS--we are getting 2 games at the Barkley Center which Brooklyn Red loves-nothing like walking to a game and hopefully one of them is Cuse.

Like many, I am disappointed in the schedule. Given our current roster, this was the year to go a little bold. I am guessing we will have a younger and less experienced team next year, so I don't really get this approach.

That said, we will control our destiny. Take care of business in conference and there is obviously a path to dance.
I think its taking care of business outside of the conference as well. While we may not love the schedule beating the teams on it are the best we can do. Winning at Iowa State or against Florida State or against Syracuse if we play them are games we have to play as if they are tournament games. We have to start fast both in and out of conference.

It's really weird and sad that the powers that be had such little faith in our ability to draw in MSG against a Big 10 opponent.
to be fair, they are right in their sentiments regarding having lack of faith...this fan base sucks and doesn't show up to games, regardless of who they play. We scheduled Kansas...the national champions...and there was less than 10k in the building.

to be fair, they are right in their sentiments regarding having lack of faith...this fan base sucks and doesn't show up to games, regardless of who they play. We scheduled Kansas...the national champions...and there was less than 10k in the building.
They were not yet National Champions when we played them at MSG, but you are on point regarding our fan base.

Kansas was Elmont, right? Would we have drawn better if that game was MSG? I remember lots of people griping about not wanting to schlep out to Long Island. I assume the Jersey fans.

The more I think about Mike's info, the more I think we would have been better off traveling to a good Big 10 opponent. Travel costs are presumably cheaper than not meeting MSG break-even threshold. Take a future guarantee for a home game, and a road win helps our March Madness case.

Given our current roster, this was the year to go a little bold. I am guessing we will have a younger and less experienced team next year, so I don't really get this approach.

While in 2023 STJ will have it's best incoming frosh class since 2011 I don't see the roster being young or inexperienced. Curbelo, Posh, Dylan and Jones will be seniors and hopefully Joel takes his extra year. Even if only 3 of them stick around that's great. That is the kind of productive experience mixed in with promising young talent you hope for at a non one and done school. It feels like a while since STJ had both in spades like they could for 2023/24.

Kansas was Elmont, right? Would we have drawn better if that game was MSG? I remember lots of people griping about not wanting to schlep out to Long Island. I assume the Jersey fans.

I went to that game and I'll never go back again. It was $50 just to park. A lot of drunk cursing fans who knew nothing.

If I go out there it will only be for the track. That fitty could have turned into a G-Note in 2 races....

The coaching staff have done their job in elevating the program but you have to say Cragg failed in his effort. No major coming in to MSG and games in Brooklyn have always been a disaster.

I went to that game and I'll never go back again. It was $50 just to park. A lot of drunk cursing fans who knew nothing.
I remember suggesting that people park at Home Depot and uber the rest of the way, so don't blame me.:cool:

The coaching staff have done their job in elevating the program but you have to say Cragg failed in his effort. No major coming in to MSG and games in Brooklyn have always been a disaster.
I assume he signs off on playing at MSG, but I also assume he's not the one making the OOC schedule. There's enough blame to go around.

I attended one in CMA's first year and it was very enjoyable. You appreciate how hard the practices are and can see/focus on individual efforts. I came away with a feeling that Steere was not going to be this beast of the boards as he was content to play outside and not crash.
Attended as well and recall coming away thinking we had found something in Champagnie

Yes it was at UBS. I think MSG would have been a bigger turn out in general, but there would have been more Kansas fans for sure as well - Kansas peeps would have flown in and made a city trip out of it etc.

How do we use the Garden as a selling point when we barely play there? We need to get up to 6 at least. Hopefully with an influx of talent we can be a better draw but 4 games is pathetic...

Back