Yankees 2024 Season

It's pretty obvious that Carlos Mendoza was:

1. The in-game strategist on the bench the last few years

and

2. The guy who stressed fundamentals, and worked on them with the team.

Both of those are severely lacking this season.

I can't fault the Yankees for letting him get away (if you get a chance to manage in the Major Leagues, and you don't have to relocate to do it, you're going to take it), but I can fault them for not getting a decent replacement (although it may be a bit like getting a college basketball coach who specializes in late game offense - there just are not many of those around).

Rojas is just a horrible third base coach, both in his decisions to send runners home, and to hold them up (yes, that was pitiful baserunning by Grisham, but Rojas compounded the problem, IMO - once you see that, you have to hold him up).

It's pretty obvious that Carlos Mendoza was:

1. The in-game strategist on the bench the last few years

and

2. The guy who stressed fundamentals, and worked on them with the team.

Both of those are severely lacking this season.

I can't fault the Yankees for letting him get away (if you get a chance to manage in the Major Leagues, and you don't have to relocate to do it, you're going to take it), but I can fault them for not getting a decent replacement (although it may be a bit like getting a college basketball coach who specializes in late game offense - there just are not many of those around).

Rojas is just a horrible third base coach, both in his decisions to send runners home, and to hold them up (yes, that was pitiful baserunning by Grisham, but Rojas compounded the problem, IMO - once you see that, you have to hold him up).
Yeah, Mendoza has done a great job stressing fundamentals with the Mets, a team that has continually beat themselves all year. Manages a pitching staff that refuses to throw strikes, gives up too many home runs, not only doesn’t hit with RISP, but all too often can’t even put the ball in play in big spots. You can have him IMO.

Yeah, Mendoza has done a great job stressing fundamentals with the Mets, a team that has continually beat themselves all year. Manages a pitching staff that refuses to throw strikes, gives up too many home runs, not only doesn’t hit with RISP, but all too often can’t even put the ball in play in big spots. You can have him IMO.
I think he might a better bench coach, than he is a manager. Just like some football coaches are better coordinators than they are head coaches.

The fact that he has the pitching staff he has is not on him. They'd stink regardless of who the manager is.

It might be time to give Boone and Cashman contract extensions.
really-though.gif

No DJ or Trevino in the lineup, even with a lefty starting for Cleveland:
Torres 2B
Soto RF
Judge CF
Stanton DH
Wells C
Volpe SS
Verdugo LF
Peraza 3B
Rice 1B

Gil to the injured list, with a back strain.

Last edited:
I think he might a better bench coach, than he is a manager. Just like some football coaches are better coordinators than they are head coaches.

The fact that he has the pitching staff he has is not on him. They'd stink regardless of who the manager is.
You guys can’t pick and choose; the Yankees poor play is Boone’s fault, the Mets is on the players. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.
Mendoza has gone through about 12 or so relievers in 3/4 of a year and none of them throw strikes, at some point the team approach must come into question.

You guys can’t pick and choose; the Yankees poor play is Boone’s fault, the Mets is on the players. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.
Mendoza has gone through about 12 or so relievers in 3/4 of a year and none of them throw strikes, at some point the team approach must come into question.
I have always been one of the lighter guys when it comes to Boone critisim. I think both he and Cashman are symptoms of a bigger problem, which is Hal's incompotent ownership.

I'm not thrilled with Boone, but even if they replace him, I don't see anything changing, in terms of front-office philosophy. I've been consistent with that.

Last edited:
I have always been one of the lighter guys when it comes to Boone critisim. I think both he and Cashman are symptoms of a bigger problem, which is Hal's incompotent ownership.

I'm not thrilled with Boone, but even if they replace him, I don't see anything changing, in terms of front-office philosophy. I've benn consistent with that.
Fair enough

Back