Winston Shepard PF

I'm a bit worried that Sampson feels the pressure of Shabazz sitting next to him at Kansas and commits this weekend if he has Kansas super high on his list. I'll be confident in our ability to land him if he makes it home uncommitted.

I'll also feel good, if Sampson makes it home for a couple of days and there isn't a verbal to Kansas. Although, I don't believe Shabazz is going to Kansas anyhow, it could pressure Sampson into committing. Let's hope that isn't the deal.

Sampson give us a legit third scoring option, so he's tops on my list. Not sure we've had a shot blocker in the 30 years I've been rooting for the team, so Obekpa would be awesome. We land those two and I literally don't give a crap who else Lavin signs.

Sort of my line of thinking. But, I'm certainly intrigued with Young.

There's Sampson, Obekpa, Sanchez and Young. Any two of those guys plus a shooter and they'll be fine next year.

wait a second sorry to be captain obvious here but shepperd is out, parga seems to be without a offer, sampson seeming to lean providence/kansas, obpeka is involved with a laundry list of schools...... not sure where this puts our possible class for 2012??? especially how lav is touting it a top 10 class!!! let me end this by saying i love lav and have nothing but faith in him!!!! 

I still have a hard time believing Sampson will be playing for St. John's next year. He has had every opportunity to re-commit to our school. Yet, he continues to flirt with others such as Baylor, Kansas, and Providence. If he really wanted to be here, he would've signed his LOI by now.

Ouch. Even worse with Lavin out there now. Wonder how Dwayne Polee's pop feels. His situation is worse at SDSU with being recruited over. Looks like Jakarr or bust for SJU at that spot.

The Polee situation was mutual, staff wasn't crying he left. Agree about Sampson though.

I still have a hard time believing Sampson will be playing for St. John's next year. He has had every opportunity to re-commit to our school. Yet, he continues to flirt with others such as Baylor, Kansas, and Providence. If he really wanted to be here, he would've signed his LOI by now.

Maybe, he doesn't suit up for us next season. I'm not one who believes he won't be here just because he has yet to commit.

Some of these kids enjoys the attention that comes with it. If he commits, then great.... If he doesn't, then hopefully the staff has someone in place. I do think it's imperative that Sampson becomes a part of our 2012 class.

As, I told a fellow poster.... Until we're officially out of the race, then we have a shot. 

lets assume if we can that sampson is a providence commit, parga st marys, gathers baylor, sheppherd sdsu,
and the kid from cali gets his sat  score for harvard
where does that leave our 2012 class?

sanchez
felix
obpeka
????
????
????
not a top 10 at all.....

lets assume if we can that sampson is a providence commit, parga st marys, gathers baylor, sheppherd sdsu,
and the kid from cali gets his sat  score for harvard
where does that leave our 2012 class?

sanchez
felix
obpeka
????
????
????
not a top 10 at all.....

You're right that wouldn't be a top 10 class. But, we can also play that game another way, as well.

Let's assume we land Sampson, Zena, Obekpa, Sanchez and Young or Balamou. That would more than likely be a top 10 haul.

Quite frankly, this game could be played in many different ways. IMO, a top 20-25 class would suffice.

MJ, I think that is all you can hope for. As a Met, SJU and Jet fan, I need a smattering of good news ASAP.

this whole world is driven by results!! now is the time for lavin to step up and shine..... i really am having a hard time finding names that could round out our class if obpeka and sampson go elsehwhere...... anyone else have more tier 2
recruits?

In the zags article saying Sheppard to SDSU, Lavin still sounds pretty optimistic. And for those that questioned if his "4 or 5" comment the other day was a signal of lower expectations, it doesn't sound like it was..

(When asked about the significance of playing UCLA..)
“But really coming up to this game, it’s just been more focused on continuing to elevate our team’s play and then…I’ve been expending the majority of my energy out on the road because we have to sign a class of five or six kids in April, so we’re kind of in that closing mode as we come down the home stretch of what looks to be a very promising recruiting class.

If—
By Rudyard Kipling

(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

If—
By Rudyard Kipling

(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

A man, yes ... but quite possibly a man whose favorite team has zero recruits.

Lavin quoting Kipling lets me know he feels the pressure he's under. Nobody expected in his second season he'd be o for the year and backpedal with recruits. I'm positive he didn't expect it. Lavin is the guy that comes in and takes recruits from other schools not chases.

In the grand scheme of things, the truth is that the only thing SJU fans need to know and see at this point is Lavin back and healthy on the sidelines and need to know he has a long-term committment to build St. john's basketball. The uncertainty has really hurt us this year and will continue until he's back on the sidelines and it's business as usuall.

He's fighting his way upstream now when we all though he'd be in the drivers seat. I think he thought so too. Like I said, this class can be salvaged, but I have no doubt that it is not what Lavin envisioned. Any SJU fans who think Lavin wants to be in the situation he's in, has got to be crazy. He had NYC college bball in his palm last season and was the talk of the town. Now he's out for the season, losing recruits and fans and the media putting the pressure on.

I hope we land a few good and capable players from the ones we are recruiting and we get Lavs back on the sideline. Like I said, fans and recruits want one thing and that is to know that he will be here for the long haul and follow this through. If he ends those questions, and silences those doubts, he'll be very successful.

Lavin quoting Kipling lets me know he feels the pressure he's under. Nobody expected in his second season he'd be o for the year and backpedal with recruits. I'm positive he didn't expect it. Lavin is the guy that comes in and takes recruits from other schools not chases.

In the grand scheme of things, the truth is that the only thing SJU fans need to know and see at this point is Lavin back and healthy on the sidelines and need to know he has a long-term committment to build St. john's basketball. The uncertainty has really hurt us this year and will continue until he's back on the sidelines and it's business as usuall.

He's fighting his way upstream now when we all though he'd be in the drivers seat. I think he thought so too. Like I said, this class can be salvaged, but I have no doubt that it is not what Lavin envisioned. Any SJU fans who think Lavin wants to be in the situation he's in, has got to be crazy. He had NYC college bball in his palm last season and was the talk of the town. Now he's out for the season, losing recruits and fans and the media putting the pressure on.

I hope we land a few good and capable players from the ones we are recruiting and we get Lavs back on the sideline. Like I said, fans and recruits want one thing and that is to know that he will be here for the long haul and follow this through. If he ends those questions, and silences those doubts, he'll be very successful.

Excellent post Marcus

Actions speak louder than words and by Lavin's actions there is not a single doubt in my mind that he is in it for the long haul.

25 years from now we will be lifting a banner with his name and his win record right next to carnesseca's at the garden.

Just crazy how we went from an amazing recruiting run like weve never seen at St Johns to now this..quite a roller coaster ride..

Hate to be pessimistic but theyres not many guys left in the 2012 class and if we lose Harkless this thing could really hit rock bottom..

Hope that doesnt happen but its certianly a possiblity staring us in the face..it's not looking pretty

Just crazy how we went from an amazing recruiting run like weve never seen at St Johns to now this..quite a roller coaster ride..

Hate to be pessimistic but theyres not many guys left in the 2012 class and if we lose Harkless this thing could really hit rock bottom..

Hope that doesnt happen but its certianly a possiblity staring us in the face..it's not looking pretty

We resells need to bridge to the 2013 class. We are in good shape with that class and no doubt will push even further. The problem is two fold.

1) Get enough capable big guys to do battle next year. get enough bodies to get to 11 kids.
2) Get Lavin back on the sidelines, healthy and dispelling rumors about not returning, taking the USC job etc.

Fwiw, I don't see Lavin taking the USC job. He could have had that job plenty of times over the last 10 years. There's nothing great about that job at all.

It's unfortunate that this 2012 class has become such an albatross for us because we're in great shape with next few classes. Give me a few big JC players and maybe a guy like Jakarr or even January and we'll be fine. One more guard like the JC kid at Citrus or even Larga would be fine. Easier said than done of course.

It is both ironic and sad that posters who take on the names of former SJ players are the most negative!
I suggest that fans of that ilk use only the following screen name followed by a number:
"I hate my FN life1"
I hate my FN life2, etc. etc,

Back