Winston Shepard PF

I saw Whittingham recently at Baruch. He's a post player with big time athleticism. Strong kid. Lavin was there so maybe he liked what he saw. 

Papers this morning said Lavin was at MSG/V game - I did not see or hear about him - probably up in one of the luxury boxes???

all the best

Yep! He was up in one of the boxes. The camera flashed to him twice on yesterday.

MJD

very much a blessing in disguise this year

we have our Head Coach out there against assistants! and I have no doubt (not as strong as Namath circa Super Bowl, some doubt) that Lavin will be our coach for a long time with many players and many wins - we just can't be greedy or unrealistic this year, no?

all the best

I told one of our astute posters back in December that Lavin was gonna be out recruiting and making up ground. He's making himself visible and going up, as you stated, against assistants for the most part. I like those odds.

I think he'll end up on the sidelines at some point next month. Am I sure of it? No. But, it's a hunch that I have. No need to be greedy or unrealistic this season. We can "eat" and be merry next season and beyond. ;)

My gut tells me next month as well for Lavin. Main reason is I think he will want to prove to prospective recruits before April signing period that he's coaching again. Good for current team too...

I saw Whittingham recently at Baruch. He's a post player with big time athleticism. Strong kid. Lavin was there so maybe he liked what he saw. 

Papers this morning said Lavin was at MSG/V game - I did not see or hear about him - probably up in one of the luxury boxes???

all the best

Yep! He was up in one of the boxes. The camera flashed to him twice on yesterday.

Once, there was a beverage sitting in front of him that appeared to be a beer

From Daily News today from Coach Dunlap: 

We're building something special and it's giong to take time. There are no magic fixes.

Let me repeat that idea, notion, quotion, lotion, motion loco-motion (as in 1960s dance) again:

We're building something special and it's going to take time. There are no magic fixes.

Amen.

Good times ahead and at hand.

all the best.

We're building something special and it's giong to take time. There are no magic fixes.

Let me repeat that idea, notion, quotion, lotion, motion loco-motion (as in 1960s dance) again:

We're building something special and it's going to take time. There are no magic fixes.

Amen.

all the best.

What did the say "rome wasn't built in a day" Something special is being built and it is going to take time.

But it is going to be a lot sooner then people think.

Amen.

all the best.

As long as the current players are good with this year being a good preparation year for next season then it will all be good. Going by how hard they played against NOVA, I feel they are in it for the longer haul-JMHO.

TheRecruitScoopAlex Kline

UConn, St. John's, Oregon, San Diego St, New Mexico, UNLV & Oklahoma St are in contention for Winston Sheppard, per @ryanmgreene.

Gotta get this kid. He is made for playing in MSG/NYC... would be a fan fav from day one. Plays as hard as anyone i have seen between the lines.

all the best

MJD

very much a blessing in disguise this year

we have our Head Coach out there against assistants! and I have no doubt (not as strong as Namath circa Super Bowl, some doubt) that Lavin will be our coach for a long time with many players and many wins - we just can't be greedy or unrealistic this year, no?

all the best

I told one of our astute posters back in December that Lavin was gonna be out recruiting and making up ground. He's making himself visible and going up, as you stated, against assistants for the most part. I like those odds.

I think he'll end up on the sidelines at some point next month. Am I sure of it? No. But, it's a hunch that I have. No need to be greedy or unrealistic this season. We can "eat" and be merry next season and beyond. ;)

My gut tells me next month as well for Lavin. Main reason is I think he will want to prove to prospective recruits before April signing period that he's coaching again. Good for current team too...

I agree. He needs to get back before the end of season to show he's healthy. No recruit will want to wait until next year, especially since the opposing coaches will be feeding them doom and gloom about Lavin.
Did you see the smiles and hugs Lavin got from Harkless and Pointer before the game at the garden? They love this guy and why not?

Winston...clearly your signifigance to this program has grown tremendously with Gathers joining Baylor. I am tired of the fifty kazillion posts on the thread about spilled milk, so I am reviving your thread to make sure you know we would love to see you helping to electrify MSG next year. Make the next move and committ to SJU and be a part of our future, as this team takes the next steps towards reestablishing itself as a force in college hoops.

Note: Yes I am repeating this in several threads because the fact is you guys have a chance to be the bigs that make this team complete and all of you are keys to our future.

Vegas is surprisingly a very small town in terms of HS sports. My friends out there correctly told me where guys like Rosco Allen and Ben Carter were gonna sign and they're telling me the buzz with Winston is there is no buzz. Which means my friends haven't heard any viable rumors. They don't like to gossip just for the sake. Rather wait for credible knowledge. But they have told me were in Winston's finalists for sure and he's definitely considering. But we'll see. We most def need him and I hope he understands Gathers to Baylor has drastically increased our need for him and subsequently his possible playing time here.

Winston could come aboard and easily slide into big minutes at the PF spot next to Mo. It's a great situation for the kid if he wants to be part of that. If he watches Mo at the PF spot this season, he'd realize that he'll have ample opportunity to use his offensive ability unlike many other places. Winston has an interesting skill set which would be perfect at SJU. He's got a good nose for the ball on the glass and is an excellent passer for a guy 6'8" or bigger. Well suited. My gut tells me he'll be part of the Redmen class for 2012.

Winston could come aboard and easily slide into big minutes at the PF spot next to Mo. It's a great situation for the kid if he wants to be part of that. If he watches Mo at the PF spot this season, he'd realize that he'll have ample opportunity to use his offensive ability unlike many other places. Winston has an interesting skill set which would be perfect at SJU. He's got a good nose for the ball on the glass and is an excellent passer for a guy 6'8" or bigger. Well suited. My gut tells me he'll be part of the Redmen class for 2012.

I hope you're right. Hope we get him. If we can get him one more bigtime kid and a legit shooter I'll feel great about next years team.

Vegas is surprisingly a very small town in terms of HS sports. My friends out there correctly told me where guys like Rosco Allen and Ben Carter were gonna sign and they're telling me the buzz with Winston is there is no buzz. Which means my friends haven't heard any viable rumors. They don't like to gossip just for the sake. Rather wait for credible knowledge. But they have told me were in Winston's finalists for sure and he's definitely considering. But we'll see. We most def need him and I hope he understands Gathers to Baylor has drastically increased our need for him and subsequently his possible playing time here.

That is so true about Sheppard's recruitment. It has been wide open the entire time and there has never been any particular favorite or heavy rumors.

Enjoyed reading your first couple of posts. Welcome to the board!

Moose: Thanks for the Kudos. I appreciate it. I'm doing my best to be a legitimate contributed to the board. I noticed there aren't a whole lot of Californians on the board so hopefully I can feel that void and supply everyone with info from here out West. I usually attend the big Events here in Central and Southern California as well as make the annual summer trip to Vegas so I get to see all the West Coast recruits quite a few times and most the big time National kids a few times as well in Vegas.

I'm going to make the drive down South this Wednesday to give a report/eval on Parga. Hopefully I'll be able to articulate well for everybody. But from what I have read and heard about him he seems like a great fit for us other than the general consensus that he is an average athlete. Which should be okay, since we run Dunlaps zone the majority of the time.

We now have our own West Coast scout who even follows the jucos :)

Great addition to the board. Keep the info coming Jeremy 

I don't know about Scout, lol. But I'd like to think I know a thing or two. Played Division II Basketball out here for a few years and them coached some HS AAU. I'm really plugged into the HS scene as I really enjoy it. Junior College, not as much but I try to keep my ears out for any supposed big time players and then I try to see them. Was fortunate to see Robert Sallie from Memphis, Julian Welch currently at Minnesota, Malcolm Thomas SD State, in recent years. Been quite a few high level kids out here in CA JC lately. It's been a fun time. Can't wait to see the Parga kid Wednesday and will most likely try to see Andrew Young once more.

I don't know about Scout, lol. But I'd like to think I know a thing or two. Played Division II Basketball out here for a few years and them coached some HS AAU. I'm really plugged into the HS scene as I really enjoy it. Junior College, not as much but I try to keep my ears out for any supposed big time players and then I try to see them. Was fortunate to see Robert Sallie from Memphis, Julian Welch currently at Minnesota, Malcolm Thomas SD State, in recent years. Been quite a few high level kids out here in CA JC lately. It's been a fun time. Can't wait to see the Parga kid Wednesday and will most likely try to see Andrew Young once more.

hey one of the members here who I am good friends with " Ted Raczok " lives 5 minutes from Citrus and is going to the game wed. Check your pm's here because I am going to text you his phone number so you can meet him at the game

hey one of the members here who I am good friends with " Ted Raczok " lives 5 minutes from Citrus and is going to the game wed. Check your pm's here because I am going to text you his phone number so you can meet him at the game

I will. Sounds great. I've been reading the various posts and it sounds like we might have another 1-2 Red Men going to the game. We'll have our own rooting section. I'm planning on going but there is a slight chance my fiancée does not let me make the trip but we shall see. I usually overrule her on most decisions. I definitely don't want to miss out on a good game and a chance to meet other board members.

Back