Winston Shepard PF

Moose: Thanks for the Kudos. I appreciate it. I'm doing my best to be a legitimate contributed to the board. I noticed there aren't a whole lot of Californians on the board so hopefully I can feel that void and supply everyone with info from here out West. I usually attend the big Events here in Central and Southern California as well as make the annual summer trip to Vegas so I get to see all the West Coast recruits quite a few times and most the big time National kids a few times as well in Vegas.

I'm going to make the drive down South this Wednesday to give a report/eval on Parga. Hopefully I'll be able to articulate well for everybody. But from what I have read and heard about him he seems like a great fit for us other than the general consensus that he is an average athlete. Which should be okay, since we run Dunlaps zone the majority of the time.

Great stuff JH! It's always nice to read a first hand account of the recruits we're involved in. It gives us back east a lot more context than a 3 sentence blurb on a recruiting blog. Plus, you have an idea how he'll fit in with OUR team. Thank you for your contributions and I look forward to your recap from Wednesday's game. And, btw, your info on Young was very encouraging as well.

Ditto Thanks for the info from the Wesr

Choz, a great poster on Johnnie Jungle recently noted we are in the game with Winston. Let's hope Lavin can perform the magic he is known for. Thanks again Jeremy for great information and insight!

I really think sju is going to land Winston Shepard.
 Winston is a great talent and he is still growing,would love to see him at SJU. What makes you think we are going to land him?

Per Alex Kline....

2012 Findlay Prep (NV) F Winston Shepard had 19 points, 17 rebounds & 10 assists last night. Steve Lavin of St. John's will see him today.

http://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop/status/169852136002301953

I know I posted this link in the "Winston Shepard" thread, but it appears in the "Brandon Parga" thread.

Per Alex Kline....

2012 Findlay Prep (NV) F Winston Shepard had 19 points, 17 rebounds & 10 assists last night. Steve Lavin of St. John's will see him today.

http://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop/status/169852136002301953

I know I posted this link in the "Winston Shepard" thread, but it appears in the "Brandon Parga" thread.

impressive numbers for anyone, let alone on a team like Findlay.

Winston committed to San Diego State just moments ago. We miss out again. I'm really starting to question whether or not we can land the class we need. There just doesn't seem to be enough high level.players available for us to.

Ouch. Even worse with Lavin out there now. Wonder how Dwayne Polee's pop feels. His situation is worse at SDSU with being recruited over. Looks like Jakarr or bust for SJU at that spot.

Winston committed to San Diego State just moments ago. We miss out again. I'm really starting to question whether or not we can land the class we need. There just doesn't seem to be enough high level.players available for us to.

Despite coach saying he's going to sign five guys, we really only need two semi-bigs and a guard to be highly competitive next season. And the guard will likely only see spot duty as a freshman, since we'll have a talented three-man rotation back there.

If we whiff on Obekpa, Sampson, Young, and Edosomwan, then I'll be concerned. If we land one of the four, preferably Sampson or Obekpa before the other two, I'll be happy but still have slight concerns. If we land Sampson and Obekpa, and someone like Balamou, we'll look like the 2010 West Virginia team...

Ouch. Even worse with Lavin out there now. Wonder how Dwayne Polee's pop feels. His situation is worse at SDSU with being recruited over. Looks like Jakarr or bust for SJU at that spot.

This hurts,but the ball is on Lavin's court. Being so public about a top ten class means he has to deliver at least a solid one. If not I would think of him in terms of PT Barnum and Rex Ryan. Not being negative, just noting it his job to deliver. I have faith he will.

Despite coach saying he's going to sign five guys, we really only need two semi-bigs and a guard to be highly competitive next season. And the guard will likely only see spot duty as a freshman, since we'll have a talented three-man rotation back there.

If we whiff on Obekpa, Sampson, Young, and Edosomwan, then I'll be concerned. If we land one of the four, preferably Sampson or Obekpa before the other two, I'll be happy but still have slight concerns. If we land Sampson and Obekpa, and someone like Balamou, we'll look like the 2010 West Virginia team...

I agree, LJSA. I've been stating the same thing. We need two bigs and a shooter (whether, he's a guard or forward).

For starters, I prefer Obekpa and Sampson. Then, I'd like a combo of Young, Edosomwan and Sanchez. Grab two out of those three and then call it a day. Round out the class with a kid like Balamou.

I'd also put out a flier on Anthony January. He's 6'8" and can put the ball in the hole. You can't never have too many guys who can put points on the board.

This hurts,but the ball is on Lavin's court. Being so public about a top ten class means he has to deliver at least a solid one. If not I would think of him in terms of PT Barnum and Rex Ryan. Not being negative, just noting it his job to deliver. I have faith he will.

Good assesment, I like the way you put it. I'll refrain from passing judgement till the signing period. But clearly the ball is in Lavin's court. He's been very public about his goals, and really this is his forte. Recruiting is his calling card, so let's see him go do it. I have faith he will.

Here's my issue with this entire situation. Everybody keeps making the argument that the attraction of immediate playing time is enough to lure these recruits to St. John's. So far, that has not been the case. Lavin put the full court press on Gathers and he passed. He then put the full court press on Shepard and he passed. Who is to say that Sampson, Obekpa, and Sanchez also pass?

Everybody is assuming he is going to magically put this fabulous class together. First, there aren't even that many recruits remaining out there. Second, it's not like we're the only team recruiting them. Obekpa is being offered by virtually everyone for his shot blocking ability and Sanchez is being pursued by Georgetown and Maryland. Nobody knows what is going on with Sampson, as he has been linked to Providence and Kansas. Lavin doesn't have a lot of options left and he's not the only one playing the game.

Here's my issue with this entire situation. Everybody keeps making the argument that the attraction of immediate playing time is enough to lure these recruits to St. John's. So far, that has not been the case. Lavin put the full court press on Gathers and he passed. He then put the full court press on Shepard and he passed. Who is to say that Sampson, Obekpa, and Sanchez also pass?

Everybody is assuming he is going to magically put this fabulous class together. First, there aren't even that many recruits remaining out there. Second, it's not like we're the only team recruiting them. Obekpa is being offered by virtually everyone for his shot blocking ability and Sanchez is being pursued by Georgetown and Maryland. Nobody knows what is going on with Sampson, as he has been linked to Providence and Kansas. Lavin doesn't have a lot of options left and he's not the only one playing the game.

Don't disagree. Lavin has had a rough time with the 2012 class because he came in late recruiting this class. He didn't expect to need this many forwards until this past fall when ur kids decommitted. I too want to see what Lavin puts together here. Losing Shepard is disconcerting because we don't have a ton if kids left on the board besides JC players. I'm not keen on a kid like Balamou, but he has some raw talent and athleticism. If he helps us land Obekpa, I'm fine with it. Reallly not much margin for error any more. We really need bodies badly. I'd hope theyd be real capable ones like Jakarr, Obekpa etc.

Don't disagree. Lavin has had a rough time with the 2012 class because he came in late recruiting this class. He didn't expect to need this many forwards until this past fall when ur kids decommitted. I too want to see what Lavin puts together here. Losing Shepard is disconcerting because we don't have a ton if kids left on the board besides JC players. I'm not keen on a kid like Balamou, but he has some raw talent and athleticism. If he helps us land Obekpa, I'm fine with it. Reallly not much margin for error any more. We really need bodies badly. I'd hope theyd be real capable ones like Jakarr, Obekpa etc.[/quote] 

At this point after Branch and some recruits signing elsewhere, if Lavin can get either Jakarr or Obekpa, plus a live big body (even a Dele Coker type), then one or two love level recruits / warm bodies, I'll consider this class a success taking into consideration eveything we're facing. Although, I'm not overly confident the way the ball has been bouncing for the program lately. in lavin we trust, but i'm certainly moving to the edge of my seat.

Don't disagree. Lavin has had a rough time with the 2012 class because he came in late recruiting this class. He didn't expect to need this many forwards until this past fall when ur kids decommitted. I too want to see what Lavin puts together here. Losing Shepard is disconcerting because we don't have a ton if kids left on the board besides JC players. I'm not keen on a kid like Balamou, but he has some raw talent and athleticism. If he helps us land Obekpa, I'm fine with it. Reallly not much margin for error any more. We really need bodies badly. I'd hope theyd be real capable ones like Jakarr, Obekpa etc.

At this point after Branch and some recruits signing elsewhere, if Lavin can get either Jakarr or Obekpa, plus a live big body (even a Dele Coker type), then one or two love level recruits / warm bodies, I'll consider this class a success taking into consideration eveything we're facing. Although, I'm not overly confident the way the ball has been bouncing for the program lately. in lavin we trust, but i'm certainly moving to the edge of my seat.[/quote] 

Yeah, the 2012 class has and this year in general has been a tough one for Lavin. He's been recruiting upstream with him out if coaching for now and making up ground. I don't expect to land a monster class this year. I do want to see us land at least 2 legitimate frontcourt talents though. We just need too many capable bodies and there aren't that many it there in this class for us. People don't know how great shape we are in for 13' and 14 classes, but that doesn't help us rigght now when we need to land soo many player for next year. We're certainly in w bit of a bind. Not one that Lavin can't fix yet, but if a few more of our targets head elsewhere, it could be rough.

Yeah, the numbers are dwindling. Unfortunately, we're in a tough spot right now. To be honest, I wouldn't have a problem with the staff nabbing 2 or 3 Juco guys. If those guys were Young, Sanchez and the Walker kid that plays on Parga's team (hearing some good things about him), then I'd be fine with adding a trio of JUCOs.

You have a couple of big bodies and someone who is capable from hitting outside shots. Then, we could round it out with a Sampson or Obekpa, if not both.

I'm still holding out hope 'til the spring signing period is over. It might seem like slim pickings, but it doesn't look so slim once you bag a couple of 'em. It's gonna be quite intriguing to see what transpires over the next few months.

Yeah, I'm still w bit worried in this spot. A lot rides on this. Our existing team wants to see legit talent brought in this season too so we can enter next year with some prospects of winning on the horizon. SJU fans certainly didn't want to be in this shape scrambling to land player in this 2012 class.

I'm a bit worried that Sampson feels the pressure of Shabazz sitting next to him at Kansas and commits this weekend if he has Kansas super high on his list. I'll be confident in our ability to land him if he makes it home uncommitted.

Sampson give us a legit third scoring option, so he's tops on my list. Not sure we've had a shot blocker in the 30 years I've been rooting for the team, so Obekpa would be awesome. We land those two and I literally don't give a crap who else Lavin signs.

Simply put we are a day late and a do$$ar short with players like Shepard. Too much time wasted on Gathers.

We need two players from amongst Sanchez, Obekpa, Sampson and a few others and we will be fine. Getting Jamal Branch at PG was a major get. Next year the experience will be there with some depth and I have no doubt we will have a 9 man rotation that will be able to play with anyone in the Big East.
Dead wood tends to keep rotting wherever it ends up so yes this team could have had Polee, Stith and Lindsey this year and next but my gut tells me they will be less successful in their reincarnations and some mid-major talent will more than make up their loss.

Reading quotes from Sheppard Coach, it came down to New Mexico and SDSU. He noted that we came in late. I really feel Lavin know we wwere out of it in his last tweet. His original recruiting tweets were 5-6 players and his last one was 4-5. I think Lavin has a good feel about certain players and he may know who is coming on board next year. Sheppard would have been a nice pick up, but if we can get Sampson and Obekpa, we will have a nice first 9.

I know I have said this before, but I have faith in Lavin and his staff to get the job done here. 

Back