Winston Shepard PF

It's my understanding that Shepard is a PF that can shoot. I'd imagine we are targeting him for the four position--possibly moving to the three after a year or two.

I hope this doesn't reflect how Coach feels about our chances with JS or RG. I can't imagine he'd get all three (and/or Obekpa for that matter), but I said the same thing about Garrett, Pointer, and Sampson after we landed Harkless and we got all four!

FWIW, over the holidays I was speaking with a family member that I try to only bother occaisionally for inside info, and he told me that when he Spoke to Lav recently, Lav was AMPED about the future and thinks that this will be the finest team he's coached when all is said and done. I tried unsuccessfully to pry specific info out, but this will be a top 3-5 recruiting class. This has been the basis for my excitement over the last few weeks (along with the promising play of the youngsters).

FWIW, over the holidays I was speaking with a family member that I try to only bother occaisionally for inside info, and he told me that when he Spoke to Lav recently, Lav was AMPED about the future and thinks that this will be the finest team he's coached when all is said and done. I tried unsuccessfully to pry specific info out, but this will be a top 3-5 recruiting class. This has been the basis for my excitement over the last few weeks (along with the promising play of the youngsters).

I know someone who also spoke to Lav recently and he is stoked.
A top 3 class last year was unreal. If he nabs a top 5 class this year it would be an even bigger coup than what he did last year IMO in light of having no real recruits signed on after the early signing period.

It's my understanding that Shepard is a PF that can shoot. I'd imagine we are targeting him for the four position--possibly moving to the three after a year or two.

I hope this doesn't reflect how Coach feels about our chances with JS or RG. I can't imagine he'd get all three (and/or Obekpa for that matter), but I said the same thing about Garrett, Pointer, and Sampson after we landed Harkless and we got all four!

FWIW, over the holidays I was speaking with a family member that I try to only bother occaisionally for inside info, and he told me that when he Spoke to Lav recently, Lav was AMPED about the future and thinks that this will be the finest team he's coached when all is said and done. I tried unsuccessfully to pry specific info out, but this will be a top 3-5 recruiting class. This has been the basis for my excitement over the last few weeks (along with the promising play of the yoooungsters).

Positive info

A top 3 class last year was unreal. If he nabs a top 5 class this year it would be an even bigger coup than what he did last year IMO in light of having no real recruits signed on after the early signing period.

That's VERY encouraging news fellas.

Marillac, that was my first thought also. But again, somebody needs to be willing to be a roll-player. If we're promising lots of PT to Obekpa, RG, and Sampson .. we'll still need another front court player to fill out the roster even if we grab 2 of the aforementioned.

Question would you prefer a four year player like Shepard to a JUCO like Sanchez? Not an entirely direct comparison, I understand Shepard appears to be more of a tweener, but still... what do you think?

That's VERY encouraging news fellas.

Marillac, that was my first thought also. But again, somebody needs to be willing to be a roll-player. If we're promising lots of PT to Obekpa, RG, and Sampson .. we'll still need another front court player to fill out the roster even if we grab 2 of the aforementioned.

Question would you prefer a four year player like Shepard to a JUCO like Sanchez? Not an entirely direct comparison, I understand Shepard appears to be more of a tweener, but still... what do you think?

Playing time is a delicate subject regardless.
I think a JUCO here and there is good because its a two year investment and they will rarely transfer.

I feel that Lavin is taking the "cant put all the eggs' approach to recruiting. Sheppard is rated at #68 on ESPN. how long has it been where we can say we will choose between top 100 players. Maybe Garrett is spreading good things about him.  

Here is an interview with him from last March. He is from Houston just like Harrison and Branch. That might be helpful in us landing him.

Questions & Answers W/ 2012 Winston Shepard

Clayton | Mar 28, 2011

Premierball.COM had the opportunity to catch up with 2012 6-foot-8 rising star Winston Shepard from Houston Texas. Shepard is a key player for the 24-4 Findlay Prep Pilots and has recorded some huge double double games this year. Shepard has improved his mid-range and his production level both offensively and defensively and is playing at a high level consistently. Here is what Shepard had to say about his recruiting…

1. List off your top five or ten schools in order.

Winston Shepard: 1-Texas 2 -Kansas 3-San Diego State 4-Memphis 5-Kentucky 6-UCLA 7-Louisville 8-Oklahoma State 9-Oklahoma 10-New Mexico.

2. What coaches have impressed you over the phone and in person and why?

Winston Shepard: Coach Townsend from Kansas, Coach Fuller from Louisville, Coach Springmen from Texas and Coach Ford from Oklahoma State all have impressed me.

3. Do you feel like your game is getting enough recognition from the coaches, scouts and media?

Winston Shepard: I don’t feel like I’m getting enough recognition from the scouts or media but I don’t mind.

4. When you think of college basketball what comes to mind?

Winston Shepard: The excitement, energy and one step closer to my dreams.

5. Do you have any unofficial visits planned in the future? If so with who?

Winston Shepard: Louisville on 26th February.

6. Describe your game for coaches and fans that have not seen you up close?

Winston Shepard: My game is as versatile as they come. I can push and lead the break and I can post and defend a 1 through 4. I have the ability to hit mid range jump-shot with ease and I’m super athletic.

7. Will you commit in the early signing period?

Winston Shepard: As of right now, I won’t commit in the early signing period.

8. Talk about your last few unofficial visit?

Winston Shepard: My last unofficial was to UCLA and it was unbelievable. The campus and fans were really nice. I could really see my self going there.

9. What’s your official height and your vertical?

Winston Shepard: I’m 6’8 and I’m not sure what my vertical is, probably close to 39 inches.

10. Would you travel to the opposite coast to go to school?

Winston Shepard: I would travel to the east coast if the school was was a good fit.

11. Is staying close to home a good thing for you or does it not matter at all?

Winston Shepard: It wouldn’t really matter to me because I’m away from home now.

12. Give us the break down on how you feel about your few schools and coaches?

Winston Shepard: With the school on my list I think all the coaches and playing style fit and benefit my game.

13. What is your nick name?

Winston Shepard: My nickname is Young Sticc or Yung Hogg.

14. Do you have any special exercise that help you jump higher?

Winston Shepard: I take my conditioning very seriously.

15. What gets your GAME ROCKING AND IN A GROOVE?

Winston Shepard: Basically when coaches, media, players try to hype some team or some player up that gets me going.

16. Are you Nike or Adidas, what’s your favorite?

Winston Shepard: I love Nike and Adidas.

17. What aau team will you be playing for next year?

Winston Shepard: I will be playing with Dream Vision.

18. What part of your game do you feel you need to improve on the most?

Winston Shepard: I wanna work on my strength and a consistent jump shot from three.

19. Do you have a facebook or a twitter that you would like to share with us?

Winston Shepard: I don’t have a twitter.

20. What position do you see yourself playing in college?

Winston Shepard: I’m going to playing the 3 in college but I’m so versatile ill be able to play wherever.

21. Share with us your best game of the year.

Winston Shepard: My best game this year, I had 32 points and 14 rebounds.

22. Who are some of the mentors that got you to where you are at right now?

Winston Shepard: My mother is most responsible for where I’m at now.

23. When your 5 feet from the rim with the ball in your hands what the heck is going through your mind?

Winston Shepard: When I’m 5 feet from the rim, “I think score.”

24. What are your strengths on the floor?

Winston Shepard: Ball handling, passing, attacking the rim and defense.

25. How hard do you work on your game? How much time do you put in?

Winston: I put in countless of hours.

26. When did you first pick up a ball?

Winston Shepard: I first started playing serious when I was in the 7th grade.

27. Name the schools that are recruiting you the hardest.

Winston Shepard: Texas, Kansas, Louisville, Oklahoma State, and San Diego State are recruiting me the hardest.

28. What are your short term goals as a basketball player?

Winston Shepard: My short terms goal is to put on 15 to 20 pounds.

29. What are some of the long term goals as a player?

Winston Shepard: My long term goal is to be a lottery pick.

30. Give you family, friends and fans shout outs on Premierball.com

Winston Shepard: Shout out to my momma, sister, Dad, Cousin, Lance, my best-friend Johno, my girl Jasmine and Premierball

Here is what Neal Nieves said about Shepard's defense (Nieves gets a chance to see lots of west coast kids in action)....

St Johns tossed its hat into the Winston Shepard sweepstakes smart move. Kid is probably a top 3 defender in the country.

http://twitter.com/#!/NealNieves/status/159687871312314369

Also passes the ball well and plays his part so well. Will be a solid team player wherever he goes.

http://twitter.com/#!/NealNieves/status/159688057405186049

Raphielle Johnson, per NBE Basketball, replied....

I'd argue Top 3 defender regardless of class.

http://twitter.com/#!/raphiellej/status/159688351140687872

This is all a win-win-win epoch - the Lavin era; I hope we never forget from whence we came (to wit: Jarvis and Roberts) and enjoy a long Lavin run. Yes we can now choose directions withint the top 100! How grand is that?

all the best 

Keep adding lock-down defenders. Jump shots can be off, scoring can be off, but defense NEVER fails...it's always there.

Branch - Regarded as best 2011 PG defender
Greene- Promising, dedicated defender at both guard positions
Pointer - Regarded as one of the best defenders in 2011 irrespective of position
Garrett - Most intense defender of all our recruits according to Lavin
Shepard - Mentioned as top 3 defender

Keep adding lock-down defenders. Jump shots can be off, scoring can be off, but defense NEVER fails...it's always there.

Branch - Regarded as best 2011 PG defender
Greene- Promising, dedicated defender at both guard positions
Pointer - Regarded as one of the best defenders in 2011 irrespective of position
Garrett - Most intense defender of all our recruits according to Lavin
Shepard - Mentioned as top 3 defender

Seems like Shepard caused some trouble for Jabari Parker (a top 3 player in the class of 2013) a couple of days ago.

Per Eric Bossi's (Rivals.com) twitter....

Winston Shepard playing his usually strong, if not unique, all-around game. #hhclassic

http://twitter.com/#!/ebosshoops/status/159011105975439360

Winston Shepard defended Jabari Parker as well as anybody can. Bothered him with length and quickness.

http://twitter.com/#!/ebosshoops/status/159040551050682368

I would love to see Shepard defend Kyle Anderson. I think he's one of the few guys out there who could cause Anderson fits. #HHClassic

http://twitter.com/#!/ebosshoops/status/159040692524560385 

1) I loved winston shepperd when I saw him play. Good PF recruit for us.

2) I wonder if it's just due diligence or that we have seen an issue with one of the recruits we're after? Could be a power move to add more competition for scholarships or Lavin might have gotten seem news on one if them? Regardless, we wouldn't lose a step adding Winston Shepard over one of those guys.

It's still excellent to add another name to the list of high quality guys we're after.

2) I wonder if it's just due diligence or that we have seen an issue with one of the recruits we're after? Could be a power move to add more competition for scholarships or Lavin might have gotten seem news on one if them? Regardless, we wouldn't lose a step adding Winston Shepard over one of those guys.

It's still excellent to add another name to the list of high quality guys we're after.

Just a hunch--no inside info at all--but I think the chances of Gathers landing here are slipping.

Reports say that he is planning on taking many official visits, while Sampson does not seem like he is going to go on many.  

Just a hunch--no inside info at all--but I think the chances of Gathers landing here are slipping.

Reports say that he is planning on taking many official visits, while Sampson does not seem like he is going to go on many.  

Gathers also may not take all of his visits. He could planning on doing so, but it doesn't necessarily means he will. I do believe this is either due diligence or a power move by Lavin, as stated by MCN.

I like that Lavin continues to cast a wide net when it comes to fishing for recruits. It'll pay off in the end.

I think he, ,like Jakarr is a combo-forward type. Excellent overall player. A guy I'd love here and on the level of our our other recruits for 2012. All around good player and he stood out to me quite a bit when watching Findlay.

=youtube_gdata_player 

Gathers also may not take all of his visits. He could planning on doing so, but it doesn't necessarily means he will. I do believe this is either due diligence or a power move by Lavin, as stated by MCN.

I like that Lavin continues to cast a wide net when it comes to fishing for recruits. It'll pay off in the end.

I look at Gathers list of schools and I think it's window dressing. I don't see him choosing any of those schools over SJU. Now, especially that LSU is off the list, I think we're in good position for Gathers.

Back