Winston Shepard PF

Just turned this on.

WS is a little out of control on offense. But he's playing GREAT defense on the #1 player in the nation Shabazz Muhammad.

WS really frustrated Shabazz on D all night! :evil:
In my opinion it would be a plus adding him obeakpa on the boards hopefully  Gathers or sampson join the fold. 

Don't worry if we get him he can take his solid man to man defense and try to learn a zone he will never know how to pickup

Don't worry if we get him he can take his solid man to man defense and try to learn a zone he will never know how to pickup

Ouch

We did play some man today

Syracuse has no problem signing top 50 players wanting to play JB's zone defense:)
When we have 12 scholarship players I think we will see a hell of a lot more man.

Syracuse has no problem signing top 50 players wanting to play JB's zone defense:)
When we have 12 scholarship players I think we will see a hell of a lot more man.

Yes they can.
But right now we aren't where they are where they have their pick of the litter.
We better see more man to man. That's what the vast majority of these kids know how to play. Like Mase said above. We played more of it today. And while we lost it was a lot more enjoyable to watch today's game.

Yes they can.
But right now we aren't where they are where they have their pick of the litter.
We better see more man to man. That's what the vast majority of these kids know how to play. Like Mase said above. We played more of it today. And while we lost it was a lot more enjoyable to watch today's game.

Funny how Syracuse loses Fab for a game and ND runs over them! Their rebounding was pitiful.

Today was more enjoyable because we were winning and we tend to play better on the break since it masks our deficiency in the half court offense and lack of ball handling but on defense we have too many weaknesses in the man to man and only the zone can mask those weaknesses.

Gift would foul out of most games if we played 40 minutes of man. No Gift and 6'5 Pointer plays center.

D'Angelo plays very aggressive man and would also foul more. Heck, I'll go as far as saying everyone would foul more. Since we have only six players (I respectfully refuse to count Stith as a player) having a Moe or a Harrison foul out near the end of a game spells a loss. That would not be enjoyable to many here that think with six newbies we should be undefeated in the Big East.

Moose, we're not seeing the full capabilities of the zone right now...not enough bodies right now. Ideally, Dunlap would want to fall back into the zone after intense pressure, but our guys would be gassed by the under 12 timeout in the first half.

Give Dunlap 2-3 more athletic kids ready to commit to that end of the floor and it could be sensational...I'm sure Dunlap will add more looks and more complexity next year as the players will be more familiar with it.

1. Does St.John's have any real chance to get Shepard? Rivals indicates that Shepard has higher level,of interest in New Mexica & SanDiego State which is hopefully dated information.

2. Rivals also indicates that St.John's has interest in Tafari Whittingham a 6'8" forward from the Brooklyn. Does anyone know anything about Mr. Whittingham who does not show up in Rivals data base.

Thanks.

I saw Whittingham recently at Baruch. He's a post player with big time athleticism. Strong kid. Lavin was there so maybe he liked what he saw. 

1. Does St.John's have any real chance to get Shepard? Rivals indicates that Shepard has higher level,of interest in New Mexica & SanDiego State which is hopefully dated information.

2. Rivals also indicates that St.John's has interest in Tafari Whittingham a 6'8" forward from the Brooklyn. Does anyone know anything about Mr. Whittingham who does not show up in Rivals data base.

Thanks.

1) I wouldn't put much stock into that Rivals' list, otis. They had us listed as "medium" on the list with Gathers prior to him verballing back in July. Not to mention, Paul Biancardi mentioned Shepard's list of schools (seemed like he mentioned it per the horses mouth) and St. John's was definitely mentioned.

2) I'm not sure about Whittingham. This is the first I've heard his name mentioned in awhile. So, I'm not sure how much interest the staff has in him. 

We had plenty of bodies last year and played zone the majority of the time. Like it or not, Dunlap prefers multiple zones. If we get the kind of guys were after the zone's going to be a lot more effective because we'll be able to rotate in fresh players and keep the pressure and intensity higher. Wouldn't be surprised to see us full or 3/4 court trap to turn up the speed of the game, that's how Lavin prefers to roll. 

We had plenty of bodies last year and played zone the majority of the time. Like it or not, Dunlap prefers multiple zones. If we get the kind of guys were after the zone's going to be a lot more effective because we'll be able to rotate in fresh players and keep the pressure and intensity higher. Wouldn't be surprised to see us full or 3/4 court trap to turn up the speed of the game, that's how Lavin prefers to roll. 

Trap and zone is correct and straight man will never be the name of the defense. Looie retired. LOL!

Trap and zone is correct and straight man will never be the name of the defense. Looie retired. LOL!

I think you'll see some occasional man, but most times it'll be about zoning and trapping. IMO, a kid like Shepard would fit in fine.

By the way, Biancardi stated yesterday that Shepard is still growing. 

I saw Whittingham recently at Baruch. He's a post player with big time athleticism. Strong kid. Lavin was there so maybe he liked what he saw. 

Papers this morning said Lavin was at MSG/V game - I did not see or hear about him - probably up in one of the luxury boxes???

all the best

Papers this morning said Lavin was at MSG/V game - I did not see or hear about him - probably up in one of the luxury boxes???

all the best

Yep! He was up in one of the boxes. The camera flashed to him twice on yesterday.

all the best

Yep! He was up in one of the boxes. The camera flashed to him twice on yesterday.

MJD

very much a blessing in disguise this year

we have our Head Coach out there against assistants! and I have no doubt (not as strong as Namath circa Super Bowl, some doubt) that Lavin will be our coach for a long time with many players and many wins - we just can't be greedy or unrealistic this year, no?

all the best

all the best

MJD

very much a blessing in disguise this year

we have our Head Coach out there against assistants! and I have no doubt (not as strong as Namath circa Super Bowl, some doubt) that Lavin will be our coach for a long time with many players and many wins - we just can't be greedy or unrealistic this year, no?

all the best

I told one of our astute posters back in December that Lavin was gonna be out recruiting and making up ground. He's making himself visible and going up, as you stated, against assistants for the most part. I like those odds.

I think he'll end up on the sidelines at some point next month. Am I sure of it? No. But, it's a hunch that I have. No need to be greedy or unrealistic this season. We can "eat" and be merry next season and beyond. ;)

Back