Transfer Portal Mania

So GT could walk on somewhere and still get NIL but not a scholarship? If this is the case then everybody who can earn above the scholarship value is still technically a free agent if a team has enough $$$ to make the loss of scholarship a non factor.
I don't know that to be the case. I had two points:

1)When you sign scholarship paperwork you leave the Portal.
2)When you leave the Portal if you decide to re-enter and it is after the Window there are consequences.

Is it no scholarship? Is it you have to sit a year? The recent lawsuit eliminated sitting a year regardless of how many times you transfer.

However that did not address the Portal Window. The Portal Window said if you enter during the specific period you would be immediately eligible.

If you are allowed to enter anytime and still be eligible immediately what is the point in having a Window then?

As for NIL. Be careful yes NIL is helpful. But NIL is income. Scholarships are NOT. Income gets taxed.

So using Income to pay for your tuition and getting taxed on it is not even remotely the same as scholarship money.

Or does GCU get penalized because they pulled a Self?
Self was a slip of the lip. He mentioned Kugel by name in an interview with Katz.

Putting a full statement on your website where you directly quote your HC praising the recruit by name is not a "slip of the lip."

Barring a total misunderstanding how could a school make such a mistake? That is not a "slip of the lip."

Trust me schools don't put out full statements unless all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. He signed.

And I stand by what I said I don't see how he transfers without any type of penalty.

If you are allowed to enter anytime and still be eligible immediately what is the point in having a Window then?

As for NIL. Be careful yes NIL is helpful. But NIL is income. Scholarships are NOT. Income gets taxed.

So using Income to pay for your tuition and getting taxed on it is not even remotely the same as scholarship money.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were sure which is why I asked the question. And there are a lot of questions.

Your point about transfer eligibility with the new rules is really important. I don't recall if it was effective immediately but I believe it was so like you said the portal would cease to exist. Maybe GT is taking a stab at that.

And yes obviously there are issues with regard to income so it just depends on the gap between scholarship value and nil. And paying their own way with their NIL $$$ would be a tax deduction, no? Lots of moving parts.

And the least likely option is that even though GCU announced it GT did not sign scholarship papers, per my Self comment.

Wasn’t you who said it Paultz, but to the tweet. I think this has to do with him only playing 3 games two seasons ago. But what a journey he’s been on!

18-19 freshmen
19-20 mandatory sit out (RS soph)
20-21 doesn’t count
21-22 RS soph
22-23 RS Junior (only played 3 games)
23-24 technically Med RS Junior in his 6th year in college!
24-25 Van Wilder

What could the NIL value be for a 5th year guy averaging leas than 2 pts & 2 reb on mid major? Someone actually feels good about paying at that level?

Wooga Poplar will be committing to Villanova shortly.

Georgetown, who was once in the mix for Brazille apparently (has since gone back to Arkansas) really needs to do something to bolster their lineup. Go look in the couch cushions and throw a million at Coleman Hawkins. Cooley can't flounder in year 2 again

Georgetown, who was once in the mix for Brazille apparently (has since gone back to Arkansas) really needs to do something to bolster their lineup. Go look in the couch cushions and throw a million at Coleman Hawkins. Cooley can't flounder in year 2 again
What is GTown's NIL situation? Is it not good? It feels like they are a mess and not particularly a threat to get big names.

Easy to forget Rick and Cooley were hired the same offseason. in the same conference. Sure we just missed the tournament but we are in a way better spot as a program right now

Wasn’t Hawkins quoted in an article that he would never play in the Big East and he would want to go somewhere he could go to football games. Since Illinois has a FBS program, I assume he is referring to a school with a football program that has a history of success and a rabid fan base. Besides being in the Big East, I don’t think GTown’s FCS football program fits the bill.

Last edited:
Yup. He said he wants to go to a school where he can "enjoy a football game." That sure as hell ain't Georgetown but more like one of the SEC big football dogs.
I surmised the SEC in a previous post when his quote about football came out.

Yup. He said he wants to go to a school where he can "enjoy a football game." That sure as hell ain't Georgetown but more like one of the SEC big football dogs.
Someone should tell him about that little known professional football league...the NFL or something like that? Apparently only the best college football players are good enough to play in that league.

Back