Transfer Portal 2022

Paultzman post=463229 said:
https://twitter.com/brandontierney/status/1502130206940749838?s=21
The problem with this is defense is a requirement for Mike Anderson.  If a kid can shoot AND play d, hes going to Duke, not St johns.  So anderson keeps recruiting kids who are really good on D and marginal shooters.

If shooters are going to come here, Coach is going to have to give a little about their defense.

Last edited:
Common theme for most of my fandom, I think. Unfortunately, my fandom probably spans 40 years.

The thing is both Smith and Coburn were considered to be the guys that would fill that role this year. Both were high volume shooters with decent %s at their previous schools, schools that are good enough where they shouldn't have taken large steps back moving up to this level. Both showed flashes at times, but neither was consistent throughout the season and neither gained the full confidence of the staff.

I hope the staff does find a couple legit shooters this offseason but its tough for me to believe they will find something better than what Smith and Coburn were before they got here. Good, confident shooters at a lower level that may not have the defense or athleticism to earn the staff's trust. We shall see.

Yup, I’m be been saying this all season. Give shooters any day above anything else. You win by putting the ball in the basket.

Any feelings on who on the current roster is most likely to transfer, if anyone?  I thought someone here mentioned Stanley...that would be a real shame...I really like that kid's game/energy.

ejoyce post=463292 said:
Any feelings on who on the current roster is most likely to transfer, if anyone?  I thought someone here mentioned Stanley...that would be a real shame...I really like that kid's game/energy.

Has he been on the bench this week?

Yes, but didn't get in last night and played 3-4 minutes in the previous 3 games (X, Marquette & Depaul).

The staff will study the transfer portal list in the next few months looking for outside shooters as is the case every year. They will look for:
1 mature upper classmen
2 six foot three to six foot five
3 players with histories of shooting forty per cent from three
4 players who competed in leagues not too far below the big east and scored in the teens
5 players who pass the eye ball test who look like good shooters
This is what they did last year and brought in Smith and Coburn who passed all the tests so how can we criticize Anderson. They put on the SJU uniform and become players who contribute every fifth or sixth game. Whoever they bring in from this years portal will probably not have the credentials of Smith and Coburn so we will just have to hope one or two work out.

L J S A post=463191 said:
RM86 post=462605 said:
Funny thing about Khalid Moore is that he was all but transferring here last summer,until his parent told him no. Wanted to finish degree at GT. Great kid, good player that kind of got buried at GT. Passer likes guards.

Limited sample size, but I think this staff can sell that they improve two- and three-star players, and help boost guys who've had an iffy four years at other major schools.

Moore will have that degree from a good school, and if he wants to see if he can get to double digits in this offense and catch on somewhere in the world afterward, then I will welcome him with open arms. If he doesn't improve, then we have a super experienced backup for a year who will still be better than any high schooler we get at this point.

Khalid was at game last night,despite results, would be very surprised if he wasn't here next year.

RM86 post=463438 said:
RM86 post=462605 said:
Funny thing about Khalid Moore is that he was all but transferring here last summer,until his parent told him no. Wanted to finish degree at GT. Great kid, good player that kind of got buried at GT. Passer likes guards.

Limited sample size, but I think this staff can sell that they improve two- and three-star players, and help boost guys who've had an iffy four years at other major schools.

Moore will have that degree from a good school, and if he wants to see if he can get to double digits in this offense and catch on somewhere in the world afterward, then I will welcome him with open arms. If he doesn't improve, then we have a super experienced backup for a year who will still be better than any high schooler we get at this point.

Khalid was at game last night,despite results, would be very surprised if he wasn't here next year.

Friday night Big East Tournament HERE WE COME!

RM86 post=463438 said:
RM86 post=462605 said:

To put it nicely, Moore hasn't been an ACC caliber player during his time at Georgia Tech. Can't see him being a fit here especially considering he's not a shooter at all and that's where the priority should be this offseason. Think he'd better suited for a Hofstra or Fordham if he wants to finish his career back home.

Mug Costanza post=463587 said:
RM86 post=463438 said:
RM86 post=462605 said:

To put it nicely, Moore hasn't been an ACC caliber player during his time at Georgia Tech. Can't see him being a fit here especially considering he's not a shooter at all and that's where the priority should be this offseason. Think he'd better suited for a Hofstra or Fordham if he wants to finish his career back home.

Agreed. But in fairness I thought similar of Wheeler.

If we can find a high schooler who can give us more than a fifth-year guy from the ACC could give us, I'm all for it,

If our portal finds are mid-major kids with good but not great numbers, who then get glued to the bench because of D, I'd rather skip them completely and bring in a fifth-year guy from a major conference who might just need a change of scenery. At least the major kid may only need half a season to make an impact.

L J S A post=463656 said:
If we can find a high schooler who can give us more than a fifth-year guy from the ACC could give us, I'm all for it,

If our portal finds are mid-major kids with good but not great numbers, who then get glued to the bench because of D, I'd rather skip them completely and bring in a fifth-year guy from a major conference who might just need a change of scenery. At least the major kid may only need half a season to make an impact.

The kid averaged five points a game and shot 21 percent from three point land.  No thanks!

Back