The Knicks Are Back

The Athletic in their mock draft posted today has the Knicks picking Kolek with the first (24th overall) of their back to back first round picks and Scheierman with their second (25th overall).

ESPN's last mock has them going with Ware and Dunn.

The Athletic in their mock draft posted today has the Knicks picking Kolek with the first (24th overall) of their back to back first round picks and Scheierman with their second (25th overall).
Don't want either one. Give me Ware and if he's not still there, the big kid from Mississippi.

Knicks can’t go wrong with 2 of either Missi , Filiposwki, Daron Holmes , Kolek , Terrance Shannon , or schierman

Knicks first round was a straight salary dump - they don't want picks that might take up any cap space this year.

If they had saved some money on the Anunoby deal then that might have helped, but now they are busy scrounging for change in the couch cushions to see if they can re-sign Hartenstein (which would be awesome) or have the money to extend somebody or make another deal.

Knicks first round was a straight salary dump - they don't want picks that might take up any cap space this year.

If they had saved some money on the Anunoby deal then that might have helped, but now they are busy scrounging for change in the couch cushions to see if they can re-sign Hartenstein (which would be awesome) or have the money to extend somebody or make another deal.
One theory I'm becoming convinced of is that Precious S&T in the Nets deal will happen. That would make us hard capped at the 2nd apron.

One theory I'm becoming convinced of is that Precious S&T in the Nets deal will happen. That would make us hard capped at the 2nd apron.
Knicks either gotta send more money to the Nets in that deal than they're taking back or they gotta move Randle for a cheaper player.

If they send money to the Nets that gets them $11 million more to spend. Then the starters are Robinson, Randle, Brunson, Bridges, Anunoby (assuming Hartenstein is gone). The bench is DeVincenzo, Hart, McBride, Sims, and pray for rain.

The other path (and the one I like better) is to trade Randle for a PG or C who is making something like $12 million. That frees up $16 million in cap space PLUS the second apron of another $11 million so they would have $27 million to spend. It makes the starting lineup Robinson, Anunoby, Brunson, Bridges and DeVincenzo and the bench the C or PG you landed, McBride, Hart, and Sims. But then you can use the $25 million to fill whatever position you didn't get back for Randle (C or PG). Or maybe you get lucky and if you got a PG for Randle you're able to re-sign Hartenstein.

I don't want to see Brunson playing 46 minutes a game - they need a PG who can play 8-12 minutes a game (I still want Kyle Lowry but it's a pipe dream) and they have to figure something out at C if they lose Hartenstein.

They could also potentially move Robinson if they land another C or bring back Hartenstein, that would potentially save some cap room.

Lots of moving parts still.

Knicks either gotta send more money to the Nets in that deal than they're taking back or they gotta move Randle for a cheaper player.

If they send money to the Nets that gets them $11 million more to spend. Then the starters are Robinson, Randle, Brunson, Bridges, Anunoby (assuming Hartenstein is gone). The bench is DeVincenzo, Hart, McBride, Sims, and pray for rain.

The other path (and the one I like better) is to trade Randle for a PG or C who is making something like $12 million. That frees up $16 million in cap space PLUS the second apron of another $11 million so they would have $27 million to spend. It makes the starting lineup Robinson, Anunoby, Brunson, Bridges and DeVincenzo and the bench the C or PG you landed, McBride, Hart, and Sims. But then you can use the $25 million to fill whatever position you didn't get back for Randle (C or PG). Or maybe you get lucky and if you got a PG for Randle you're able to re-sign Hartenstein.

I don't want to see Brunson playing 46 minutes a game - they need a PG who can play 8-12 minutes a game (I still want Kyle Lowry but it's a pipe dream) and they have to figure something out at C if they lose Hartenstein.

They could also potentially move Robinson if they land another C or bring back Hartenstein, that would potentially save some cap room.

Lots of moving parts still.
I was day dreaming all day yesterday about the Rockets drafting Clingan at #3 and then us trading Randle for Sengun. So we're on the same wavelength. I just find it hard to believe that the Knicks will trade Randle this summer

I was day dreaming all day yesterday about the Rockets drafting Clingan at #3 and then us trading Randle for Sengun. So we're on the same wavelength. I just find it hard to believe that the Knicks will trade Randle this summer

The Knicks should test the waters on Randle this summer. If they can get good value in return, they should absolutely move him. The team played beautifully on the offensive end without him. They played together, moved the ball well and generally got good shots. When Randle gets the ball, the offense generally gets bogged down and he often throws up ill advised shots.

IMO, while Randle is certainly talented, the team plays better and more cohesively without him. If the Knicks can get a solid contributor in return and the chances of resigning Hartenstein increases (which I think is very important), moving Randle becomes a no brainer.

The Knicks should test the waters on Randle this summer. If they can get good value in return, they should absolutely move him. The team played beautifully on the offensive end without him. They played together, moved the ball well and generally got good shots. When Randle gets the ball, the offense generally gets bogged down and he often throws up ill advised shots.

IMO, while Randle is certainly talented, the team plays better and more cohesively without him. If the Knicks can get a solid contributor in return and the chances of resigning Hartenstein increases (which I think is very important), moving Randle becomes a no brainer.
I'm not really a Randle guy, but I think he played his best basketball offensively in January after the OG trade. The thing I detest watching is his total mental lapses on defense throughout a game, and, like you said, when he holds onto the ball on offense. There was an amazing stat two years ago about how when he holds on the ball for more than five seconds, his turnover rate is like double when its less.

His injury makes his value probably less than we think. I don't think we're in a salary situation where we can get under the cap to offer iHart more.

I'm not really a Randle guy, but I think he played his best basketball offensively in January after the OG trade. The thing I detest watching is his total mental lapses on defense throughout a game, and, like you said, when he holds onto the ball on offense. There was an amazing stat two years ago about how when he holds on the ball for more than five seconds, his turnover rate is like double when its less.

His injury makes his value probably less than we think. I don't think we're in a salary situation where we can get under the cap to offer iHart more.
I'm not anti-Randle, it's just that moving his contract is what provides the most cap space and flexibility to improve the overall roster. And with Bridges, Anunoby, and the development of DeVincenzo and McBride he isn't a necessary piece if you can get a player and cap room for him.

Sengun or Valencionis would be wonderful

Back