The Knicks Are Back

I’m okay with the Knicks giving up all those picks. Giving their history on picks on potential talent has not been good. Better off trading for proven players.
I think that even after this, they still have stockpiled 5 or 6 more first round picks over the next 6 or 7 years, so this was surplus... Going for it.

I think that even after this, they still have stockpiled 5 or 6 more first round picks over the next 6 or 7 years, so this was surplus... Going for it.

Knicks updated draft picks after Mikal Bridges trade​

2024 NBA Draft

• 1st round pick via Mavericks (24th overall)
  • 1st round pick (25th overall)
  • 2nd round pick (38th overall)

• 1st round pick via Detroit (Top 13 protected)
  • 1st round pick via Washington (Top 10 protected)
  • 2nd round pick via Brooklyn
  • 2nd round pick via Detroit (Top 55 protected)

• 1st round pick
  • 2nd round pick via Minnesota

• 2nd round pick

• 1st round pick (Brooklyn owns the right to swap)
  • 2nd round pick via Indiana or Phoenix

• 2nd round pick via Indiana or Washington

• 1st round pick
  • 2nd round pick

• 2nd round pick
After giving up five first-round picks in one trade, New York still has plenty of capital. They have two selections in the 2024 NBA Draft plus two other first-rounders that could be traded if the right deal comes along. That does not mention their nine second-round picks that could be moved.

Love this move from the Knicks. Not only is it amazing PR as it just expands the Nova Knicks lore... but it was clear during the playoffs that the offensive load Brunson had to carry was too much for a long playoff run. Mikal is huge for this reason. He can create his own shot with ease, he's gotten really good at it in the NBA. This is a massive addition. The obvious question now is what happens with OG

2024 NBA Draft

• 1st round pick

• 2nd round pick

• 1st round pick
  • 2nd round pick

• 2nd round pick
After giving up five first-round picks in one trade, New York still has plenty of capital. They have two selections in the 2024 NBA Draft plus two other first-rounders that could be traded if the right deal comes along. That does not mention their nine second-round picks that could be moved.
Thanks for that information. Rose and team have done a great job overall in loading up, as well as the in-season moves they've has made the past 2 years.

2024 NBA Draft

• 1st round pick

• 2nd round pick

• 1st round pick
  • 2nd round pick

• 2nd round pick
Thanks for this SJU85. As Moose correctly pointed out they can still trade to pick up some future picks which I think may happen depending on Robinson/Hartenstein situation. Lots of things need to happen yet.

Thanks for this SJU85. As Moose correctly pointed out they can still trade to pick up some future picks which I think may happen depending on Robinson/Hartenstein situation. Lots of things need to happen yet.
I'm hoping they use one of their first round picks on Kelal Ware who could be their backup center if they can't bring back both Mitch & Hartenstein.

Knicks pretty much have to move Randle to create the salary cap flexibility they need to fill out the roster, as well as to have a functional offense (not enough basketballs for everyone with him there).

They also need to re-sign either Hartenstein or Robinson (probably not both) and then find a backup center for whichever one they keep.

So you wind up with a starting 5 of: Brunson, Bridges, Anunoby, Hartenstein/Robinson, Hart/DeVincenzo
And a bench of McBride, Hart/DeVincenzo, Sims, another backup center (Achiuwa? (ugh)), whoever you get back (if anyone) for Randle, and a couple of draft picks.

That bench is pretty weak, so hopefully the Randle salary dump brings back a contributor to add to McBride, the backup center, and whichever of Hart and DeVincenzo doesn't start.

And then that is a team that can give Boston a real run for their money - lots of defense, will ugly it up which Boston hates, and lots of shooting.

I agree about OG but Bridges does all three of those things as well. Bridges is the better offensive player, OG the better defender. You need both. A starting line-up of Brunson and Bridges in the backcourt, OG, Randle and Robinson up front would be real tough with concerns of their being enough ball for all and can each of the front court stay healthy.

With what he is going to command in free agency, Hartenstein was gone as the Knicks were not going to shell that much out for him when they were looking for that one more scoring piece.

Priority one now is resigning OG. Then they will look to fortify their bench (which actually gets stronger with DiVincenzo moving to the bench if they resign OG) for a PG to lead the second unit (Lowry) and a replacement for Hartenstein.
I agree, and the Knicks have been chasing wings like Bridges because that is the optimal way to matchup against Boston.

Also, the Villanova chemistry is a plus. Brunson may even take a little less because of it.

I am of the opinion that Hartenstein will not get much more than what the Knicks can offer (4/72). I think there is still a solid chance he comes back.

The bench is better with DiVincenzo, but he did have better numbers as a starter last year (just something to keep an eye on).

I think the OG thing is a smokescreen. He is “shopping” around so it doesn’t appear that obvious he and the Knicks had a deal in place after the trade. Leon Rose’s son (who reps OG) is not going to screw dad.

Last edited:
They still have 2 first rounders tonight, correct? That is where they can look to bolster the bench without breaking the bank. How about Koleck as a pg back-up (hated him as a college player against us, but think he will do well as a sub in the league).
But the Knicks may not use all of them (they also have a second rounder). They may trade up or use them to trade for future picks.

I have a hard time seeing two, let alone three rookies make the team when most see this a mediocre draft.

I would take hertenstien over Mitch every day. Not sure if it’s an option at this point.
Everyone should. I love Mitch, and honestly, he's had a good Knicks career all things considered. One of our longest tenured draft picks at least in my lifetime.

But the injuries never seem to go away with him. And he is someone who's game banks on his athleticism in a lot of ways and I feel like he is only going to slow down

Hartenstein brings a lot more. His push shot became a real option for us when teams tried to double/over extend on Brunson. He also is one of the best passing big men in the league without a doubt. He's no Joker or anything, but he has some nice touch on his passes.

He's a great defender as well. Would hate to lose him

I would take hertenstien over Mitch every day. Not sure if it’s an option at this point.
The problem is that the Knicks can only offer Hartenstein $16 million and he may well get a better offer. If he does there's nothing they can do about it, they're limited by the CBA in what they can offer him.

O.G. is the opposite - in his case they can pay him more than anyone else. If I were the Knicks I would tell O.G. "Listen, we love you and we want you back. We agree that if you played a full season you'd be a $40 million player. The problem is that you never play more than three quarters of a season, which from a math standpoint makes you a $30 million player. That's $10 million more than you're making now. Because we love you and we want you back, we'll offer you 5 years at $35 million a year. If somebody offers you more than that, let us know and we'll take it from there."

The problem is that the Knicks can only offer Hartenstein $16 million and he may well get a better offer. If he does there's nothing they can do about it, they're limited by the CBA in what they can offer him.

O.G. is the opposite - in his case they can pay him more than anyone else. If I were the Knicks I would tell O.G. "Listen, we love you and we want you back. We agree that if you played a full season you'd be a $40 million player. The problem is that you never play more than three quarters of a season, which from a math standpoint makes you a $30 million player. That's $10 million more than you're making now. Because we love you and we want you back, we'll offer you 5 years at $35 million a year. If somebody offers you more than that, let us know and we'll take it from there."
On the OG front, they can add incentives to make it 5/200 anyway. I'm pretty confident OG will string this out a bit but he'll end up here. Leon's son is one of his agents, so that should be helpful.

Leon Rose should just get whatever Big played at Nova with Bridges, Donte, Josh and Brunson.

Then hire Wright and complete this picture.

Might as well add Colin Gilepsie and Ryan Archi to round out the picture.

Bring Nova's assistant coaches and trainers too, what the heck.

Play home games at the Finn!

On the OG front, they can add incentives to make it 5/200 anyway. I'm pretty confident OG will string this out a bit but he'll end up here. Leon's son is one of his agents, so that should be helpful.
I agree. The problem is that unless the Nets take some salary back in the Bridges/Bogdanovic deal, then that will cap the Knicks at the first apron UNLESS they make another deal where they send out more money than they take back.

That tees up a Randle trade for a backup center and/or backup PG which opens up another $11 million in cap space for the Knicks to spend up to the second apron, plus whatever cap space you gain in the Randle move.

They can then use that plus whatever they DON'T give Anunoby to bolster the bench which is kinda thin.

Back