The Airing of the Grievances

I didn't write anything that can be disagreed with. I just stated the facts of his record and didn't say he was a great coach. Ncaa tournament bids are not a comfortable fit for you? Four years of less than Nit level awful basketball and the soul crushing realization that even an all time great coach isn't enough to get us over the top a more comfortable fit for you?
It will be. All truth, facts and persuasive argument. No falsehoods, opinion or conjecture.

We made the NCAA Tournament Lavin’s 1st and 5th years and we made the NIT his fourth year. How did we do afterwards? We waited another four years (with three being less than NIT level) to be a first four game which we lost. And nothing since.

59 - 73. “You are what your record says you are!” Bill Parcells

All truths and facts. No falsehoods, opinions (okay you might quibble on the Parcells’ quote but I see it more as a persuasive argument), or conjecture.

He still is one of my all time favorites and will forever be.

If we wanna talk truths you should give Greg St Jean his flowers for coaching the team those years instead of Mullin
He certainly seemed to have an expansive role for a young assistant coach. I remember sitting with all his college buddies late one drunken night, or likely one drunken early morning, at an Atlantis blackjack table. They were all speaking glowingly of his coaching chops. They called him a basketball savant. Perhaps if Slice didn't walk he would have done more.

Last edited:
Marquette should fire Shaka and hire Mike Anderson.

Then when they go 17-15 every year certain posters could argue that a winning record is what they should expect after dissapointing fans and losing in the Sweet 16....

The problem was hiring Mullin and not Hurley.
If we hired Hurley...Hurley wouldn't be HURLEY. Just because Ucant became the nation's best with him does not mean he could have done same at Union and Utopia. St. Johns is a whole other animal. Just ask the Hall of fame coach who was just able to dance twice at little New Rochelle before running into the brick wall that is us. Hurley would have lost here just like the rest of them.

Last edited:
If we hired Hurley...Hurley wouldn't be HURLEY. Just because Ucant became the nation's best with him does not mean he could have done same at Union and Utopia. St. Johns is a whole other animal. Just ask the Hall of fame coach who was just able to dance twice at little New Rochelle before running into the brick wall that is us. Hurley would have lost here just like the rest of them.
Sorry but I disagree 100%. Hurley demands excellence and is a relentless recruiter. He has over achieved everywhere he has been and would have done the same at SJU. Would he have won a national championship I doubt it but we would have been ahead of where we were the last 5 seasons. The man, like him or not, is a flat out winner.

Sorry but I disagree 100%. Hurley demands excellence and is a relentless recruiter. He has over achieved everywhere he has been and would have done the same at SJU. Would he have won a national championship I doubt it but we would have been ahead of where we were the last 5 seasons. The man, like him or not, is a flat out winner.
Correct.

He is relentless builder. See Wagner and URI.

Took him 3 years to make NCAAs and 5 years to win an NCAA game and 6 years to win BE regular season at UCONN.

The idea he wouldn't be able to do that at SJU is absurd.

It's all conjecture but I feel like you're vastly underestimating the curse. Take this year for example. We had everything going for us: Good players ( a room full of 5th year seniors ), great coach, good crowds, good schedule. They performed admirably yet somehow it didn't happen and if this season wasn't enough, I really don't know when. We have some serious black magic working against us.

It's all conjecture but I feel like you're vastly underestimating the curse. Take this year for example. We had everything going for us: Good players ( a room full of 5th year seniors ), great coach, good crowds, good schedule. They performed admirably yet somehow it didn't happen and if this season wasn't enough, I really don't know when. We have some serious black magic working against us.
Also we were relatively injury free this year

Dude they went 11-9 which is pretty good for a first season. The highest net of any team not to make Tourney. First apoearanxe in Friday semis in BET in 24 years.
The question was about Hurley. Hurley's first 2 years in AAC with UCONN they did not sniff NCAAs. And UCONN won a National Title in 2014. The idea that if Hurley took over SJU in 2015 could not have SJU in top half of BE in 3 years is complete wish casting.

Back