2015/16 Texas: highest AP ranking 24, NCAA lost in first round
2016/17 Texas: highest AP ranking 21, finished 11-22, 4-14 in the league
2017/18 Texas: highest AP ranking none, NCAA lost in first round
2018/19 Texas: highest AP ranking 17, NIT Champion
2019/20 Texas: highest AP ranking 22, tournament cancelled
2020/21 Texas: highest AP ranking 4, NCAA lost in first round
21/22 Marquette: highest AP ranking 18, NCAA lost in first round
22/23 Marquette: highest AP ranking 6, NCAA lost in second round

23/24 Marquette - in the Sweet 16 - It's good to have Tyler Kolek!
Dude you do realize you trumpeted Mike Anderson and Patrick Ewing as good hires right?

I have the receipts on that.

And are you saying the only basis for what makes a good coach is they need to win in the NCAA Tourney?

In 3 years at Marquette Smart has gone to the NCAAs in all 3 years. He has gone to back to back BET title games and he won an outright BE regular season and Tourney title in his second season. I don't know about you but that is pretty good.

He has been a 2 seed in the NCAAT the last 2 years. How many BE schools have been a 2 seed or better in consecutive NCAAT? In recent vintage, Villanova. That's it.

You and others touted Mike Anderson's "never had a losing record" as some sort of bullet proof vest against criticism.

How in the world is your criticism of Smart consistent with you telling us that Mike Anderson was a good hire?

Now you are saying he only wins because of Kolek? As if he didn't bring him in from an A-10 school and develop him. How many Final Fours did John Thompson go to without Patrick Ewiing? It's good to have Patrick Ewing I guess...LOL...

You don't have to be a Shaka Smart fan, because I am not, to recognize that this hire by Marquette has worked out really well for both.

He is 75-29 with a 42-17 league record in 3 years. With 3 NCAA Tourney appearances, 1 regular season and 1 post season title. A tie for 2nd place finish and 2 BET final appearances and a 2 seed in the NCAAT in back to back years.

If Mike Anderson had done 1 of those things let alone all 3 of those things at SJU Mike Cragg would have given him a lifetime contract. Mike Anderson got an extension based on a 10-9 season in COVID. Smart went 17-3 and won an outright BE title in a year they were picked pre-season 8th.

With all due respect take the L and move on. To argue an indefensible position simply because you don't want to admit you were wrong about a hire says more about you then it says about the hire.

Welcome back, Fordham! I don't know what any of that has to do with anything, but it's good to see that you haven't changed a bit!

Not a fan when people wag their finger at fans who initially thought mike Anderson was a good hire

Context is important, the coaching search became a clown show and most were just happy to get a seemingly competent, professional coach with past success to lead the team.

It obviously did not work out. But calling out fans for being cool with the hire at the beginning shouldn’t be some sort of “gotcha” IMO

fordham, If you weren’t a fan of the Mike A hire when it happened, show me receipts of that before going at other posters for it.

But a quick search to thread about Mike Anderson the week he was hired shows that that isn’t the case

And fwiw, I agree Shaka is a good coach.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Not a fan when people wag their finger at fans who initially thought mike Anderson was a good hire

Context is important, the coaching search became a clown show and most were just happy to get a seemingly competent, professional coach with past success to lead the team.

It obviously did not work out. But calling out fans for being cool with the hire at the beginning shouldn’t be some sort of “gotcha” IMO

fordham, If you weren’t a fan of the Mike A hire when it happened, show me receipts of that before going at other posters for it.

But a quick search to thread about Mike Anderson the week he was hired shows that that isn’t the case
Great post!! One of those 1,000 like candidates IMO.

There wasn't a single person on here not extremely happy after we led Creighton at halftime in the 2020 BET when the tournament was canceled. His second season he won Big East coach of the year coaching up some guys and led by junior Julian Champagnie and Freshman Posh Alexander. The future seemed bright even after year 3 with transfers David Jones and Curbelo and AJ Storr a prized recruit. Then the wheels fell off. After the DR trip the summer of 22, hopes were sky high that we had turned the corner as a program.

Jack, appreciate the post but let's not take the thread down a rabbit hole. This one is for the NCAA tournament, in which Shaka Smart - who is a very good coach - has a team. Hopefully this is a year when his team's ranking translates into tournament success (so far, so good) - Go Big East!

There wasn't a single person on here not extremely happy after we led Creighton at halftime in the 2020 BET when the tournament was canceled. His second season he won Big East coach of the year coaching up some guys and led by junior Julian Champagnie and Freshman Posh Alexander. The future seemed bright even after year 3 with transfers David Jones and Curbelo and AJ Storr a prized recruit. Then the wheels fell off. After the DR trip the summer of 22, hopes were sky high that we had turned the corner as a program.
Still trying to figure out what happened ???
It really seemed so promising at that time.

I am a fan when people wag their finger at fans who initially thought mike Anderson was a good hire. Because 99.9% of the time statements to the effect of "Anderson was a good hire", and they typically were MUCH more glowing and complimentary than that, were preceded or followed by posts that said something to the effect of 'Mullin sucks' and 'we're glad to be rid of him'. Which was blasphemy and wrong and as one astute poster duly noted, is probably the reason we're still mired in the curse today. Of course when it went official turned out that Mullin was a MUCH better hire than CFC and many words were eaten. Of course nobody ever apologized to our legend or admitted they were wrong.

As I always say - it wasn't only him. But yes, a thread of its own so I will stop at that.
OK now we can continue here. As Logen pointed out on another thread, chemistry matters. There was plenty of talent on that team (as has been demonstrated with them playing elsewhere). The problem (my opinion) is that Anderson made a Lavin-esque reach for a player with talent but questionable character, that guy turned out to be MUCH more disruptive than anyone thought when they brought him in, and Anderson failed miserably at managing the situation - which blew up his team and cost him his job.

Possibly to SJU's long-term benefit given the next hire, but still unfortunate.

WRT to Carmine's view on Mullin, I always felt that Mullin had a clear idea about how he wanted his team to play the game, but his misguided insistence on treating college kids as though they were pros becauase he couldn't be bothered doing that part of the college coaching job was his undoing.

The one difference between the two hires is that when Mullin was hired SJU had other options. They could have invested in the program, made a sound decision, and perhaps hired either Hurley (my advocacy at the time) or Archie Miller (in retrospect might not have been the best move but hindsight is 20/20). When Anderson was hired they literally had no better choice and were very fortunate to have made that hire.

I dunno why we are still going over all of this but if folks want to focus on the past instead of the present and future, they can do it here. Maybe we can even talk about Norm, Kevin Clark, or He Who Shall Not Be Named! Well you can, I won't be hanging around this thread.

I am a fan when people wag their finger at fans who initially thought mike Anderson was a good hire. Because 99.9% of the time statements to the effect of "Anderson was a good hire", and they typically were MUCH more glowing and complimentary than that, were preceded or followed by posts that said something to the effect of 'Mullin sucks' and 'we're glad to be rid of him'. Which was blasphemy and wrong and as one astute poster duly noted, is probably the reason we're still mired in the curse today. Of course when it went official turned out that Mullin was a MUCH better hire than CFC and many words were eaten. Of course nobody ever apologized to our legend or admitted they were wrong.
Curse started 15 years before Mullin was hired.

Still trying to figure out what happened ???
It really seemed so promising at that time.
Maybe a little bit of truth to the Dave Parker/Bobby Bonilla syndrome where a long guaranteed contract causes you to mail it in. People around the school said he wasn't the same guy. In a different way once Jarvis was offered the Hornets job, he was suddenly too big to deal with college nonsense. Victims of their own success.

Back