Our recruiting for next year

Only an outsider to NY metro would say that!

Yeah...NYMag really knows their stuff. Look at the comments following. Also, writer ends with a link about how "Long Island" basketball is doing well, then link takes you to LIU vs. St. Francis boxscore. Both Brooklyn schools. Thanks, but I'll stick with NYMag for restaurant reviews.

I know its not a popular opinion but I've looked at the map and unless my eyes deceive me Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.

Born in Queens, raised on LI, school in Manhattan and lived in Brooklyn for 8 years and through it all stood by the position that Queens and Brooklyn were part of LI whether whether those snobs in Nassau and Suffolk were willing to admit it or not.

Yeah...NYMag really knows their stuff. Look at the comments following. Also, writer ends with a link about how "Long Island" basketball is doing well, then link takes you to LIU vs. St. Francis boxscore. Both Brooklyn schools. Thanks, but I'll stick with NYMag for restaurant reviews.

I know its not a popular opinion but I've looked at the map and unless my eyes deceive me Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.

Born in Queens, raised on LI, school in Manhattan and lived in Brooklyn for 8 years and through it all stood by the position that Queens and Brooklyn were part of LI whether whether those snobs in Nassau and Suffolk were willing to admit it or not.

Actually if you read old newspaper clips from the Brooklyn Dodger days, you would find something like, "Duke Snider makes his home on Long ISland, in Astoria." (I don't remember which player i read that about, but I did read it). Clearly in the 40s, Queens was considered more suburban than Brooklyn (still is), but I don't think Brooklyn was ever considered part of LI, though contiguous.

Anyone care to venture a guess to the Cali/Vegas recruiting?

I think Winston Shepard has become a very priority and his school is loaded with talent. There are at least three players he like in Cali.

May be wrong, but San Diego State will be hard to beat. Hope Coach Lavin can make up some ground. Also think he is looking at some kids in 2013 class. Probably Pargas as well.

Actually if you read old newspaper clips from the Brooklyn Dodger days, you would find something like, "Duke Snider makes his home on Long ISland, in Astoria." (I don't remember which player i read that about, but I did read it). Clearly in the 40s, Queens was considered more suburban than Brooklyn (still is), but I don't think Brooklyn was ever considered part of LI, though contiguous.

Long Island is a geographic land mass. It includes Brooklyn and Queens, obviously, though of course I am one of few man enough to admit it. I'm just having a little fun. I've also always held to the belief that if you can't walk to the nearest subway you don't live in the city.

Cali and Vegas are especially prime areas for all since the Pac 12 is just putrid. One bid league? Probably not but not a tough conference to recruit against at this point in time.  Add in the fact that Lavin's very well known out there of course.

Looking to secure a visit from Shepard in Vegas. In Cali for Edosomwan and Andrew Young among others.

Bingo...  Edosomwan is the "mystery" forward I was referring to out of Harvard Westlake. I cn mention it since marillac broke the news. Kid is a big, smooth PF who's best days are ahead of him. Better than that, kid is a real student athlete which might be the only thing that could keep us from landing him.

I didn't know about Andrew Young. Anybody know about his game,

And Edosomwan keeps growing in height and skill...

Exactly, LJSA. His game and height continues to soar. He's also a very, smart kid, as he has offers from Harvard and Vandy. 

Looking to secure a visit from Shepard in Vegas. In Cali for Edosomwan and Andrew Young among others.

Bingo...  Edosomwan is the "mystery" forward I was referring to out of Harvard Westlake. I cn mention it since marillac broke the news. Kid is a big, smooth PF who's best days are ahead of him. Better than that, kid is a real student athlete which might be the only thing that could keep us from landing him.

I didn't know about Andrew Young. Anybody know about his game,

Marillac spilled the beans, per se'. LOL Andrew Young is a JUCO kid. He's about 6'9" and has a pretty decent build. He has some big-time schools showing interest. I know Cal is after him.

I couldn't care less if people include Queens and Brooklyn when they speak of Long Island. Our program is once again getting close to a crisis mode, and what we're interested in hearing about is recruiting, not geography.

Yes, I'm getting impatient. Lavin has spoke about a top 10 class, he's mentioned he expects to sign 5 or 6. What is it going to take to get some committments? I'm trying to keep the faith, but I thought we would at least have a big man locked up for next year.

Yes, I didn't forget about Branch, but we need more if we want to get back to the NCAA.  

SJUhoopNUT
I read somewhere Marco Baldi has one year remaining - and he has grown up to 7'6" (and many additional pounds - or is that lira? or euros? - would he help calm everyone's angst???)

oh well I don't know when and how but I trust that our tremendous head coach and staff will continue to get it done, so much for pessimism

all the best - and to you too Marco if you're out there  

I couldn't care less if people include Queens and Brooklyn when they speak of Long Island. Our program is once again getting close to a crisis mode, and what we're interested in hearing about is recruiting, not geography.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, the Battle of Long Island was fought in Brooklyn and George Washington lost (in OT) to the Hessians and British and was chased through the forests and cornfields of Manhattan then across the Hudson to set up Valley Forge; take a walk through Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn...

my home village saw victory (also in OT)in the Battle of Sag Harbor on the South Fork of the East End when we chased the British somewhere...

so forth and so on and, and furthermore, the Bronx was indeed attached during the ice age, there! (then again so was Connecticut) :cheer:

all the best 

my home village saw victory (also in OT)in the Battle of Sag Harbor on the South Fork of the East End when we chased the British somewhere...

My parents' home village as well. I commend your good taste in real estate. :lol:

For those unaware the writer, Will Leitch, is an ex-head of Deadspin. He's snarky and confrontational. That's what Deadspin does, and they do it well, and he's maintained that persona obviously. It's not about simply stating facts but sensationalizing them. That's the Deadspin way. I like Deadspin and visit it daily but only for the comedy and innuendo. Not for its journalistic integrity.

Why the hell is Will writing about STJ?

For those unaware the writer, Will Leitch, is an ex-head of Deadspin. He's snarky and confrontational. That's what Deadspin does, and they do it well, and he's maintained that persona obviously. It's not about simply stating facts but sensationalizing them. That's the Deadspin way. I like Deadspin and visit it daily but only for the comedy and innuendo. Not for its journalistic integrity.

Why the hell is Will writing about STJ?

He's been writring for NY Magazine for a while as a sports "reporter" or columnist or blogger or something or other.

OK...I get the geography lesson, thank you. My school, work, living locations are virtually the same. No one around here thinks of Nostrand Ave (for instance) as Long Island. I like the recruiting discussion better.

At the end of this signing period, we will look back wondering why we ever doubted Coach. He will deliver.  

+1
Nobody has ever questioned Lavin's recruiting ability until now.
Most of you think the ship is sinking, but Lavin is issuing a different kind of S.O.S. I'll go on record saying we land Sampson, Obekpa, and Sanchez/Shepard.

The funny thing about the spring is that once that coaching carousel starts spinning, there is top talent available that nobody ever expected. NOBODY will have more room than us, and nobody can offer the PT at the four and five like us. Lavin will cherry..pick just like he did with Jamal Branch.

No he will recruit on or off the bench

We dont land any of these guys until Lavin is on bench

Is that what it comes down to? Lavin has to come back to the bench to assure recruits? If that is the case, then I hope it happens soon. Speculation has been UCLA.

Back