Our recruiting for next year

And bringing up that talented big man
S name would hurt how?

Not for me to decide. I just know a lot of people more important than me in the bball world know a name or two and they're not public yet. I figure not my job to start releasing exclusives as its probably that way for a reason. I just want some of the fans to realize that the names we're talking about are not the only guys. I love this school and program and I'd really hate to jeopardize what the staff is trying to do. I know some people want information at all costs, but I'm pulling for Lavin to build a long and successful career here. The names will come about.

I can back MCN on this. There is a name or two out there that isn't in the public at this moment. Should it come or not come to fruition then you'll hear about it one way or another. I just feel some people should relax until AFTER the spring signing period. If we bring back the entire roster and add 3 or 4 kids between April and May, then everything will be fine.

If May comes and pass without anyone of significance, then I won't blame the complainers to do what they do best.... complain. If May comes and goes and significant talent is added, then I wish some folks will stick a cork in it.

I agree 100% with the former Mayor. SJU fans should focus on the here and now and get behind the team (what is left of it) for the remainder of the season.  Let's ride this out and reassess the situation once the Spring recruiting season is over.

S name would hurt how?

Not for me to decide. I just know a lot of people more important than me in the bball world know a name or two and they're not public yet. I figure not my job to start releasing exclusives as its probably that way for a reason. I just want some of the fans to realize that the names we're talking about are not the only guys. I love this school and program and I'd really hate to jeopardize what the staff is trying to do. I know some people want information at all costs, but I'm pulling for Lavin to build a long and successful career here. The names will come about.

You were in love with Gathers as was I, we lose him and you basically say no worries. You have been infatuated with Jakarr, seems you are giving up on getting him-again your attitude seems to be no worries. Have to admit I am becoming somewhat concerned about recruiting-sure hope your optimism about unpublicized recruits we seem like we will get comes to fruition. 

S name would hurt how?

You were in love with Gathers as was I, we lose him and you basically say no worries. You have been infatuated with Jakarr, seems you are giving up on getting him-again your attitude seems to be no worries. Have to admit I am becoming somewhat concerned about recruiting-sure hope your optimism about unpublicized recruits we seem like we will get comes to fruition. 

I'm not giving up on Jakarr. I'm just not one that feels everything is coming to an end if we don't land one or two guys. We have a great core with 2 of the Best freshmen in the country, literally. We need more pieces. The funny thing is that nobody would be panicking if Lavin were steadily landing a swathe of low tier recruits, as long as we were hearing names. Like I said, Lavin could land 6 guys tomorrow and that would probably make everybody happy. I don't think that is s goal. SJU thus far has landed "only" a top 50 PG transfer.

Certainly Lavin could go out and land a ton of guys nobody has heard of just to fill the roster. We don't need to do that. We need a few players added and have a long way to go til spring signing. If we don't get Jakarr but get Sanchez and Obekpa, I'm more than fine with that. We have options on the board still, and our fans seem to feel like we have none because Gathers went somewhere else. This is not true.

Sure I'm getting antsy for some commits too, but I know that the just because as a fan I'm getting antsy doesn't mean Lavin isn't or won't get it done.

it's hard to remain positive when all we get is negative news out of carnesecca arena.

i'm afraid to come to these boards to find out who else we lost.

lavin and his staff are a dream come true for long timers like me...but i'd have to be brain dead not to be nervous.

it's hard to remain positive when all we get is negative news out of carnesecca arena.

lavin and his staff are a dream come true for long timers like me...but i'd have to be brain dead not to be nervous.

Sure newsie, nervous is acceptable. But even if the health issue sets the schedule back a year, do you have any doubt the program is still in better shape then it has been in the last 20 years

Sure newsie, nervous is acceptable. But even if the health issue sets the schedule back a year, do you have any doubt the program is still in better shape then it has been in the last 20 years

we looked to be in better shape during the early jarvis years...but the bottom fell out. i never expected it.

granted, norm really didn't leave the program in better shape than he found it...i.e. a ten scholarship hole to fill. if lavin and that great staff he brought in can't turn things around...then there's no one on the planet who can. i'm convinced of that.

i'm starting to think we're asking hercules to clean the stables with a toothbrush.

Yeah...NYMag really knows their stuff. Look at the comments following. Also, writer ends with a link about how "Long Island" basketball is doing well, then link takes you to LIU vs. St. Francis boxscore. Both Brooklyn schools. Thanks, but I'll stick with NYMag for restaurant reviews.

For those unaware the writer, Will Leitch, is an ex-head of Deadspin. He's snarky and confrontational. That's what Deadspin does, and they do it well, and he's maintained that persona obviously. It's not about simply stating facts but sensationalizing them. That's the Deadspin way. I like Deadspin and visit it daily but only for the comedy and innuendo. Not for its journalistic integrity.

we looked to be in better shape during the early jarvis years...but the bottom fell out. i never expected it.

granted, norm really didn't leave the program in better shape than he found it...i.e. a ten scholarship hole to fill. if lavin and that great staff he brought in can't turn things around...then there's no one on the planet who can. i'm convinced of that.

i'm starting to think we're asking hercules to clean the stables with a toothbrush.

I'm not at that point yet. Lavin is by far the best recruiter we've ever had. This staff is by far the best staff we've ever had. Until we totally rid ourself of the stench of the Jarvis / Norm years we cannot compete on an even basis with the top programs. As much as we would all like a quick turnaround, it might take 3 years to do. Yet we're not that far away. If we had Hardy and JB2 on this team we'd be competitive with anybody. We're that close and yet that far away.

As far as the other elephant in the room, yes our coach had cancer. If you said the only luck we've had is bad , I'd agree 1000 %. But hopefully that issue will be put aside shortly. As SJU fans we've been conditioned by the total ineptitude of Harrington and his crew, to expect the worst. But I believe brighter days are ahead. I'm sure we will still take a step back here and there but that will be followed by two giant steps forward. I guess it comes down to trust and in lavin I trust.

Steve Lavin@STJCoachLavinReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

Headed back out on the road with assistant Tony Chiles... catching @JetBlue for a five-day swing including stops in Cali/Vegas #stjbb

Yeah...NYMag really knows their stuff. Look at the comments following. Also, writer ends with a link about how "Long Island" basketball is doing well, then link takes you to LIU vs. St. Francis boxscore. Both Brooklyn schools. Thanks, but I'll stick with NYMag for restaurant reviews.

I know its not a popular opinion but I've looked at the map and unless my eyes deceive me Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.

I'm not at that point yet. Lavin is by far the best recruiter we've ever had. This staff is by far the best staff we've ever had. Until we totally rid ourself of the stench of the Jarvis / Norm years we cannot compete on an even basis with the top programs. As much as we would all like a quick turnaround, it might take 3 years to do. Yet we're not that far away. If we had Hardy and JB2 on this team we'd be competitive with anybody. We're that close and yet that far away.

As far as the other elephant in the room, yes our coach had cancer. If you said the only luck we've had is bad , I'd agree 1000 %. But hopefully that issue will be put aside shortly. As SJU fans we've been conditioned by the total ineptitude of Harrington and his crew, to expect the worst. But I believe brighter days are ahead. I'm sure we will still take a step back here and there but that will be followed by two giant steps forward. I guess it comes down to trust and in lavin I trust.

There he goes -- off on another vacation trip when he's supposed to be sick. :unsure:  

Only an outsider to NY metro would say that!

I know its not a popular opinion but I've looked at the map and unless my eyes deceive me Brooklyn and Queens are part of Long Island.

Back