Our recruiting for next year

SJUhoopNUT

Yes, I'm getting impatient. Lavin has spoke about a top 10 class, he's mentioned he expects to sign 5 or 6. What is it going to take to get some committments? I'm trying to keep the faith, but I thought we would at least have a big man locked up for next year.

Yes, I didn't forget about Branch, but we need more if we want to get back to the NCAA.  

At the end of this signing period, we will look back wondering why we ever doubted Coach. He will deliver.  

At the end of this signing period, we will look back wondering why we ever doubted Coach. He will deliver.  

+1
Nobody has ever questioned Lavin's recruiting ability until now.
Most of you think the ship is sinking, but Lavin is issuing a different kind of S.O.S. I'll go on record saying we land Sampson, Obekpa, and Sanchez/Shepard.

The funny thing about the spring is that once that coaching carousel starts spinning, there is top talent available that nobody ever expected. NOBODY will have more room than us, and nobody can offer the PT at the four and five like us. Lavin will cherry pick just like he did with Jamal Branch.

+1
Most of you think the ship is sinking, but Lavin is issuing a different kind of S.O.S. I'll go on record saying we land Sampson, Obekpa, and Sanchez/Shepard.

The funny thing about the spring is that once that coaching carousel starts spinning, there is top talent available that nobody ever expected. NOBODY will have more room than us, and nobody can offer the PT at the four and five like us. Lavin will cherry pick just like he did with Jamal Branch.

Great post Marillac and thank you for seeing through the doom and gloom.

+1

We dont land any of these guys until Lavin is on bench

+1

Is that what it comes down to? Lavin has to come back to the bench to assure recruits? If that is the case, then I hope it happens soon. Speculation has been UCLA.

+1

On the Adam "The Bull" Show from Cleveland, Coach said he would be bringing in another Top 5 or Top 10 recruiting class this year. In order to make that happen, he would have to get every guy you mentioned above and then some other top notch talent.

With so few Top 100 guys left on the board and so many schools looking at them, I don't realistically see that happening.

But I do hope Coach Lav is right!!

+1

How do you know, Baldi?

+1

Great post. I like the SOS reference.

Exactly!!

I think we all need to ask ourselves a basic question...If put in the same position, with a degree of uncertainty (Lavin's illness), a deadline (i.e. signing period) that is in the future and options (other scholarship offers) -- why would one commit now and not wait until the last possible moment. . .There is no upside for the recruit. . . just upside for us. . .

Does it really matter if we bring in a top 5, 10 or 20 class. One 6-11 center would make the difference we are looking for. Need not be an all american all big east would do just fine.  

Marillac says we'll be landing somebody this week. We certainly can use some commits...

Does it really matter if we bring in a top 5, 10 or 20 class. One 6-11 center would make the difference we are looking for. Need not be an all american all big east would do just fine.  

No, but your coach's credibility is at stake when he publicly makes such an assertion

+1

We had the same amount of playing time and opportunity to offer kids in the fall and winter and we didn't seal the deal on anyone then, why would that change now that our back is up against the wall?

I really don't mean to constantly reply to just you Marillac, but you seem to be most vocal in your opinion that the program is still headed in the right direction. I truly hope you're right. And if things fall into place over the next month or two, I'll certainly admit loudly and clearly that you were right.

I just feel like the environment around the team is that of a sinking ship. And that, more than anything else will cause kids to avoid us. Hope I'm wrong, and coach's perpetual enthusiasm can break through that atmosphere.

How many All Big East 6-11 centers has St John's ever had ?

You can count them on not too many fingers :)

+1

We had the same amount of playing time and opportunity to offer kids in the fall and winter and we didn't seal the deal on anyone then, why would that change now that our back is up against the wall?

Kids can only sign in the fall and spring. It's also not like we can just pluck someone during the season and they can immediately suit up. We also had Gathers in the fold 'til he reneged. We also lost Lindsey early in the season, so Lavin was caught in a bad spot and had to go out and re-recruit and recruit some new kids that he might've not been initially targeting.

Remember, he also landed Jamal Branch. So, things can change from then 'til the spring.

I don't care who it is. Just would like to get the ball rolling a bit. I'm sure it will be good.

I don't care who it is. Just would like to get the ball rolling a bit. I'm sure it will be good.

Well, I'm sure you do care who it is in some shape or form. LOL I'm also ready to get the ball rolling. Sufficient, big bodies. Toss in another shooter, as well.

Well, I'm sure you do care who it is in some shape or form. LOL I'm also ready to get the ball rolling. Sufficient, big bodies. Toss in another shooter, as well.

Put it this way, if we indeed are landing a commit, it isn't a player the staff feels is low tier. I certainly care but trust whomever it is will be quality.

Back