NIL’s

What's your alternative?
I have not really gotten into the particulars so in very general terms there has to be some type of revenue sharing; this idea that players money come from sources outside of the schools/“NCAA” is just fraught with built in problems. I am using NCAA as a catchall for whatever governing body is eventually put in place when the den of thieves currently in place is finally banished. The policing of players pay has to come from within those, and the idea that the monies generated from TV and fans be part of it means those entities have skin in the game.

I've forgotten why St. John's took the litigious path. Did the Administration believe CMA grossly mismanaged the team or, more cynically , an attempt to save some $-coin to defray CRP's expensive deal?
SJU fired Anderson for cause, in an attempt to avoid paying Anderson the millions of dollars remaining on his contract. Anderson responded by suing SJU for the money owed, plus damages to his reputation.

SJU fired Anderson for cause, in an attempt to avoid paying Anderson the millions of dollars remaining on his contract. Anderson responded by suing SJU for the money owed, plus damages to his reputation.
The truth is the best defense.

Here where? On the message board? If you'll notice, I am posting less and less. I assure you I ain't renewing my season tickets next season and will not stop whatever I'm doing to watch an SJU game.

I didn't stop following pro sports completely overnight. I probably won't stop following college basketball completely overnight either. But unless this NIL thing is reigned in somehow, I put college sports in the same category as the other pro leagues(maybe even worse since there are no contracts) and will gradually turn my back on it.
But just remember Monte what my friend Pablo said…..or sang….🤪

When have we ever beaten Kentucky for a player? And now with NIL money, yikes. If they want him bad enough, the money will be rolling and I don’t like our chances. And while there is always hope, the Pitino/MSG factor means little these days as for the right amount of NIL money, kids would play for a perennial loser in a cow pasture. 🤪
Ky has always paid big dollars even when it was illegal. Now with NIL a booster can write off his contribution on his taxes. Say he is in 40% federal bracket, which is likely low for a guy with this kind of money, and add in the 4 1/2% state tax. So if he was giving 400,000 before, he can now give 588,000 and come out the same on an after tax basis. And guess what, that extra 188,000 is being financed by you, the federal taxpayer.

So NIL has aided immensely the schools that always has these big illegal boosters. It has increased by about 50% their usual war chest. Because we never had such a war chest we are starting from scratch.

These big football schools are largely in states with no or few pro teams. We compete for NIL/ advertisers with Knicks, Nets, three hockey teams, two football teams, two baseball teams, two soccer teams, and other metro basketball schools

We are at an inherent disadvantage. And NIL has made it far worse for us.

Ky has always paid big dollars even when it was illegal. Now with NIL a booster can write off his contribution on his taxes. Say he is in 40% federal bracket, which is likely low for a guy with this kind of money, and add in the 4 1/2% state tax. So if he was giving 400,000 before, he can now give 588,000 and come out the same on an after tax basis. And guess what, that extra 188,000 is being financed by you, the federal taxpayer.

So NIL has aided immensely the schools that always has these big illegal boosters. It has increased by about 50% their usual war chest. Because we never had such a war chest we are starting from scratch.

These big football schools are largely in states with no or few pro teams. We compete for NIL/ advertisers with Knicks, Nets, three hockey teams, two football teams, two baseball teams, two soccer teams, and other metro basketball schools

Not a finance guy, thought it’s been said these NIl deals can’t be written off.

NIL contributions are not tax deductible since they go to the player not the educational institution.

NIL contributions that are made by business entities are often tax deductible. EG, as a marketing expense. So if Repole is making his contributions via one of his companies, the company would get the tax deduction. The IRS has limitations on this, but a company selling sports-related products, for instance, is likely not going to have a tough time writing off NIL contributions as a marketing expense. Individuals do not get a tax deduction for NIL contributions.

Last edited:
NIL contributions are not tax deductible since they go to the player not the educational institution.
Just a few thoughts .. I predict the CMA case will never see the Court House steps . It will be a out of Court settlement . Terms of the Settlement will not be disclosed. Ever

Second , UCONN should be encouraged to seek other pastures than the BE .
Otherwise they will continue to dominate every year . A State , Tax Payer unlimited Budget doesn’t create equality .
As for NIL and those that advocate it’s Demise , have a valid opinion on how it’s destroying College Sports
My remedy to return it to , a more Amateur status , is to eliminate UCONN, add a Dayton , etc and have each BE school limit their NIL budget

Let the State Run Tax payer schools compete against each other .

The BE can continue to exist as a powerful BB Conference . We have a cadre of the best Coaches . We need a new Commissioner though . Val isn’t it .

Mike Cragg ? Who knows what’s coming ?
He’s been here since 2018 and it seems our other Sports have floundered .
Plus , as nice a person he is , has he accomplished the Sports Dept objectives ?
And , he spent 30 years at Duke and never had other job offers we knew about .
Mike ‘s best position might be being a Lieutenant rather than Captain.
Lastly , he’s going to be the whipping boy for the CMA fiasco . And , who knows whether he would be a defense witness or , plaintiff witness ?
He did hire CMA and gave him the $$$$.
Maybe that’s a possible reason for his exit ? Plus , not being aligned with Pitino or Repole .

Just a few thoughts .. I predict the CMA case will never see the Court House steps . It will be a out of Court settlement . Terms of the Settlement will not be disclosed. Ever

Second , UCONN should be encouraged to seek other pastures than the BE .
Otherwise they will continue to dominate every year . A State , Tax Payer unlimited Budget doesn’t create equality .
As for NIL and those that advocate it’s Demise , have a valid opinion on how it’s destroying College Sports
My remedy to return it to , a more Amateur status , is to eliminate UCONN, add a Dayton , etc and have each BE school limit their NIL budget

Let the State Run Tax payer schools compete against each other .

The BE can continue to exist as a powerful BB Conference . We have a cadre of the best Coaches . We need a new Commissioner though . Val isn’t it .

Mike Cragg ? Who knows what’s coming ?
He’s been here since 2018 and it seems our other Sports have floundered .
Plus , as nice a person he is , has he accomplished the Sports Dept objectives ?
And , he spent 30 years at Duke and never had other job offers we knew about .
Mike ‘s best position might be being a Lieutenant rather than Captain.
Lastly , he’s going to be the whipping boy for the CMA fiasco . And , who knows whether he would be a defense witness or , plaintiff witness ?
He did hire CMA and gave him the $$$$.
Maybe that’s a possible reason for his exit ? Plus , not being aligned with Pitino or Repole .
He did not write the contract or extension, I would bet.

nil contributions are better than charitable contributions to school. Charitable contributions are limited in amount based on minuscule % of your income. So you max out quickly. Business contributions for a players nil are fully deductible as a business advertising expense. No limit. No max out. Contract for a player to endorse your product/ business, and it’s all deductible. If you are an individual with no business to run expense through, you have to contribute to school, not to nil for players- they are separate and distinct- and you are limited by irs rules on charitable giving for tax deductions.

If you are in Iowa, Kansas, Lexington,and you advertise with a star player endorsing your business product, that is a big deal for the contributor/ business. If you do it in NYC with an SJU player, it’s a leaf falling falling in a forest.

The deck be stacked against us. It’s not a level playing field. When Repole said the sky is the limit, it was hyperbole. We need ten Repoles. Ten mil a year is not sustainable. Nor is 2m a year.

I have not really gotten into the particulars so in very general terms there has to be some type of revenue sharing; this idea that players money come from sources outside of the schools/“NCAA” is just fraught with built in problems. I am using NCAA as a catchall for whatever governing body is eventually put in place when the den of thieves currently in place is finally banished. The policing of players pay has to come from within those, and the idea that the monies generated from TV and fans be part of it means those entities have skin in the game.
Revenue sharing within conferences already existe. Revenue sharing among conferences will never exist because revenue among conferences will be wildly dissonant. Why should rich share with poor.

If you are in Iowa, Kansas, Lexington,and you advertise with a star player endorsing your business product, that is a big deal for the contributor/ business. If you do it in NYC with an SJU player, it’s a leaf falling falling in a forest.

The deck be stacked against us. It’s not a level playing field. When Repole said the sky is the limit, it was hyperbole. We need ten Repoles. Ten mil a year is not sustainable. Nor is 2m a year.
That’s what I used to think back at the very beginning of NIL. What SJU player is recognizable enough to support a healthy NIL contract? That’s why I was genuinely shocked to hear we were doing pretty well in NIL.

But that’s when I was naive and thought solid marketing decisions would be made. Instead, just like the boosters at Kentucky, Kansas,etc. felt it was worth it to juice the system under the table, New York’s fans — and we do have a lot of them, particularly when we’re winning — now have a way to do it legally, tax-deductibly and get public appreciation for it as well. Does anyone here think that the Applebee’s franchiser believes our team will move the needle in sales for him? I don’t. But I do appreciate him/her jumping in when it was needed.

Revenue sharing within conferences already existe. Revenue sharing among conferences will never exist because revenue among conferences will be wildly dissonant. Why should rich share with poor.
Revenue sharing as I am referring DOES NOT exist; the players see NONE of it, not a penny.

Back