Mike Repole Piece

As excited as we all are, I'm certain most of us have a deep seated fear of the team falling short of even low bar expectations.

My fear is that if the brain trust at the NCAA keeps the Big East as a 3 seed league a tourney invite becomes very- very challenging.

My thoughts exactly, but I’ll say top 20-25

We could be a top 10 team all season and lose in the first round, or we could be the last team in and make the elite 8. Just have a good season, don’t sweat out selection Sunday and let the chips fall with Pitino et al.
Pitino doesn't play to have great regular season record only to exit right away. That would be a huge disappointment.

That being said, off the bat

Big east season: low bar goal 13-7, high bar 15-5.

BET: low bar semis, high bar finals

NCAAs: low bar 1 win, high bar Final 4 weekend.

NIT: ugh NO

Pitino doesn't play to have great regular season record only to exit right away. That would be a huge disappointment.

That being said, off the bat

Big east season: low bar goal 13-7, high bar 15-5.

BET: low bar semis, high bar finals

NCAAs: low bar 1 win, high bar Final 4 weekend.

NIT: ugh NO
No one does Beast, but upsets still happen 😂

Just saying with how the ncaa tourney goes, thoughts/feelings on a past season are often much different than what happened. A top ten season with huge wins, a # next to our name, and publicity from December to March would be fantastic! But an early exit would be very disappointing like you said. We could also go 21-10, sneak in and then get hot and make a run. We would all then look at that season as a success, but it wouldn’t have stopped us all from bitching and moaning after a 3 game skid in February wondering if Pitino was truly the answer.

Thats why for me putting a number on it before hand is tough. I could get behind the numbers you laid out though.

In 20 tourneys as a high major CRP didn't make at least the first weekend 3 times. Just saying. Didn't count Iona since just getting in was an achievement.

In 20 tourneys as a high major CRP didn't make at least the first weekend 3 times. Just saying. Didn't count Iona since just getting in was an achievement.
Do you mean PAST the first weekend ONLY 3 times? A little early to be drinking that heavily 😉😊🤣😂

No, I meant didn't make at least the first weekend, in other words lost on Thursday or Friday (not part of the weekend). FWIW he made to week 2 on 13 of 20 trips.
So his record in round 1 is 17-3
Round 2 is 13-4
Sweet 16: ?-?
Elite 8? 7-?
Semifinals?
Chanpionship: 2- ?

OK, I'm back at work where I can concentrate on the big issues of the day. See answers above.
His record in first 3 rounds is 42-8. He must be a good coach.

Calhoun has said for a long time that Pitino is one guy he dreaded coaching against because he was so good with strategy and x's and o's.

Thanks for the hard work completing my question.

My fear is that if the brain trust at the NCAA keeps the Big East as a 3 seed league a tourney invite becomes very- very challenging.
very real fear... that's why a Strong OOC is critical not just for us... but for as many BE teams as possible...

Gotta have 4 of the 5 (New Mex, Baylor, UVA/Tenn, Georgia, KState)

I was at the Travers today and was glad to see Fierceness break through and win another big one. He showed the fight and determination that complimented his great talent.

I have posted two Repole / Pletcher pictures I took today. One was of them embracing on the track shortly after the victory and the other was of them walking together in the Paddock minutes before the race.

It should be noted that the Star Three Year Old Filly Thorpedo Anna was both brilliant and gallant in defeat and although she fell just short of passing Fierceness in the final yards, she really took the fight to him down the lane and lost nothing in defeat.

20240824_182038[1].jpg20240824_180116[1].jpg20240824_180116[1].jpg20240824_180116[1].jpg

Last edited:
I was at the Travers today and was glad to see Fierceness break through and win another big one. He showed the fight and determination that complimented his great talent.

I have posted two Repole / Pletcher pictures I took today. One was of them embracing on the track shortly after the victory and the other was of them walking together in the Paddock minutes before the race.

It should be noted that the Star Three Year Old Filly Thorpedo Anna was both brilliant and gallant in defeat and although she fell just short of passing Fierceness in the final yards, she really took the fight to him down the lane and lost nothing in defeat.

View attachment 3214View attachment 3213View attachment 3213View attachment 3213
Great pictures. Win or lose, Pletcher is always 100% class.

Back